Double Checking Wire / Fuse sizing question

Anything electric, AC or DC

Double Checking Wire / Fuse sizing question

Postby Capebuild » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:01 am

I'm planning on running 14AWG wire for all my circuits. Just seems easier than to start buying all different wire sizes. (any comments about this "strategy" are welcome :) )

HOWEVER...... I'm using a Maxxair fan which I'll put on a dedicated circuit. The fan, running at its highest setting will pull 2.68 amps. I'm planning to use a 5 amp fuse for that circuit.
My question: Is it okay to still use the 14AWG wire or should I downsize it to, say a 16AWG. The length of the run (round trip) will probably be around 12 feet.

thanks.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Double Checking Wire / Fuse sizing question

Postby TimC » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:37 am

Simple answer is use your 14awg and fuse 14awg at 15a.

14awg will work fine and it is OK to fuse that wire lower than suggested. Fuse 14awg at 15a or 10a or 5a depending on appliances attached. As long as it is at recommended amperage or lower the WIRE will be fine. And... I don't know what amperage Maxxair will pull on initial start up but motors pull significantly more amps during startup than when running. You could do a few tests with a multimeter and watch as it starts. If it is operating properly it will show momentary amperage at maybe four or five amps. That's a guess. Fuse the 14awg wire with a fuse between just over that peak and 15a.

And just to complicate the issue : ) motors are often fused with slow blow fuses. An example might be a 15a fuse which is designed to accept a higher amperage for a short burst at start up or when a load is increased but won't survive a continuous current over 15a. But don't go there. It is unnecessary for your purposes.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:13 am

Thanks a lot, Tim. Good thought about putting a meter on it. I can do that before I install it just to get a good indication of start up amp draw. That way I can size the fuse appropriately. Also will be good practice for me :)
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:33 am

Capebuild wrote:I'm planning on running 14AWG wire for all my circuits. Just seems easier than to start buying all different wire sizes. (any comments about this "strategy" are welcome :) )

HOWEVER...... I'm using a Maxxair fan which I'll put on a dedicated circuit. The fan, running at its highest setting will pull 2.68 amps. I'm planning to use a 5 amp fuse for that circuit.
My question: Is it okay to still use the 14AWG wire or should I downsize it to, say a 16AWG. The length of the run (round trip) will probably be around 12 feet.

thanks.

John

That's what I did. Having larger guage wire gives you a margin of safety. No need to drop the wire size. You want the fuse to be the weak link in the circuit not the wire..
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:37 am

The past 2 teardrops I found using Audiopipe 12 gauge speaker wire very easy to use since it's red and black wires in a cable. 12 gauge covers just about anything these small trailers will need and then some.
https://www.amazon.com/Audiopipe-Gauge-Stranded-Conductor-Speaker/dp/B00J35M2B8
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:38 pm

https://www.amazon.com/Audiopipe-Gauge- ... B00J35M2B8

I would take into account the fact that the product description in the above link says:

THIS IS NOT AWG AMERICAN WIRE GAUGE

Copper Clad Aluminum Conductors.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby saltydawg » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:46 pm

Avoid copper clad like its an exwife. sure it looks/looked ok at one time, but it just does not hold up long term esp with moisture involved
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:09 pm

I only use it in the cabin, no moisture problems.
All my cabin wires are accessible by removing custom molding along the ceiling.
Last time I bought it (2004) I don't remember it having aluminum in it.
My wife and I took a magnifying glass to the wire ends and it looks like stranded copper wire.
They must have changed their product since then.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Return to Electrical Secrets