Solar Panel Install

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: Solar Panel Install

Postby TimC » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:57 pm

tony.latham wrote:...
Stay away from the cheap junkers made from PET plastic. The Renogy panels--and others--are made from ETFE.

Tony

I learned that lesson in June when I bought an ALLPOWERS 140 Watt Folding Solar Panel Kit via Walmart Marketplace. It had all 5 stars as far as Walmart reviews so I took a chance. It seemed well made and a convenient package (it is foldable/portable). I plugged it in on a clear, cool Summer day and pointed it at a good angle to the sun and the best it would do is 70 watts. It went straight back to the shipper. I don't expect a low priced portable panel to get anywhere near its rated power output but I was hoping for at least 75% in those conditions. I immediately plugged in my 100 watt full frame panel and was getting almost 90 watts.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:39 pm

tony.latham wrote:
ralphmeyer wrote:When installing those flexible solar panels on your roof, a couple of things to consider: About leaving a small air gap between the roof and the panel it can be a good idea for ventilation and preventing heat buildup. However, it's not always mandatory, and it might depend on your specific setup and how well the panels are sealed

Ralph:

Do you know that from experience?

Tony

He doesn't. He edited his post last night to include a link to a foreign website. :stompspam:

2nd post and he "offers advice". Big clue the person is clueless!

Tom
173839 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:16 pm

He did say sikaflex
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:28 am

:stompspam:
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby philpom » Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:26 pm

tony.latham wrote:
With the recent feedback I've read on flex panels I am considering one for my new Foamie roof instead of ...

Stay away from the cheap junkers made from PET plastic. The Renogy panels--and others--are made from ETFE.

Tony

A worthy side note for anyone that reads your comment:

"ETFE resins are resistant to ultraviolet light. An artificial weathering test (comparable to 30 years’ exposure) produced no filtering and almost no signs of film deterioration.[4]"

[4] https://flexfacades.com/materials/etfe/. FlexFacades by Structurflex. Retrieved 2019-10-09.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby YaretziRyan » Fri Jul 12, 2024 12:28 am

Personally, I think solar power is a game-changer for camping rigs. It's like having a portable energy source wherever you go—super handy for keeping devices charged and lights on, especially when you're off the grid.

As for the best solar companies, it's all about finding ones that offer reliable panels and gear that can handle life on the road. Quality matters when you're relying on the sun to keep things running smoothly. Plus, solar tech keeps getting better, so there are more options now than ever.

If you're thinking about adding solar to your setup, definitely do your homework. Forums like this are great for getting real-world advice and reviews. It's not just about the product but also about how it fits your needs and budget. And hey, who doesn't love the idea of saving some cash and being eco-friendly at the same time?
YaretziRyan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Jul 12, 2024 7:26 am

YaretziRyan wrote:Personally, I think solar power is a game-changer for camping rigs. It's like having a portable energy source wherever you go—super handy for keeping devices charged and lights on, especially when you're off the grid.

As for the best XXX, it's all about finding ones that offer reliable panels and gear that can handle life on the road. Quality matters when you're relying on the sun to keep things running smoothly. Plus, solar tech keeps getting better, so there are more options now than ever.

If you're thinking about adding solar to your setup, definitely do your homework. Forums like this are great for getting real-world advice and reviews. It's not just about the product but also about how it fits your needs and budget. And hey, who doesn't love the idea of saving some cash and being eco-friendly at the same time?

The link the bot offers does not appear to sell solar panels for campers. :stompspam:

Tom
173839 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets