I just want a fan thats it!!!

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby Arne » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:38 pm

Len, I have a fan inside and have never found one that is quiet... seems 40 years ago you could find a dashboard mounted fan that barely made a noise... now they sound like little jet engines....
----------------------

Mike, can you run the breeze with the vent closed?
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby mikeschn » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:17 am

arnereil wrote:Len, I have a fan inside and have never found one that is quiet... seems 40 years ago you could find a dashboard mounted fan that barely made a noise... now they sound like little jet engines....
----------------------

Mike, can you run the breeze with the vent closed?

Yes, I can and I do. That's how I push the warm air down from the roof level in the wintertime... Works pretty good too! But I only do that at the slowest speed...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby len19070 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:23 pm

See I like a semi loud fan. I can't sleep without a little white noise. And a little white noise will keep the Critters away too, to a point.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby 48Rob » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:43 pm

I like 'em loud too!

This is the one I have yet to install.

Its a radiator fan, reversable, and it really whips up a windstorm!

Draws quite a bit of juice, but the plan is to run it for a few minutes to cool the tear down after a warm day...cool air in, warm air out.
Won't fit in the roof vent, so it'll be in the door or floor

Then after its bearable, we'll use a smaller oscillating fan.

This is of course for the times we don't have an electric hookup...when we have power, the A/C will be employed.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GeorgeTelford » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:45 am

Hi all

In hot still weather it is the lack of air movement that stiffles, its due to the nature of our natural cooling system (we work like a swamp cooler evapourating sweat) with no air movement it becomes dificult to sleep too, just one of them small computer fan mounted to blow near your head will make the world of difference to your comfort.
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby fornesto » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:56 pm

Since it sounds like you don't want to wire the whole thing up, consider this. Buy one of those portable jump starters with the cigarette lighter built in the side. Pick up 12V gizmos here or there (I like the oscilating fan idea) and plug them into the portable jump starter as needed. Take it with you when you go...some will even let you recharge them from the car cigarette lighter while driving.

fornesto
Donating Member

Postby Chuck Craven » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:34 pm

Ellit’s Ace Hardware in Brookfield had one like that on sale!
It had an air compressor, Jumper cables, spotlight, a large Florissant light that took up one end with a built in AC charger. All for 99 bucks! :applause:
Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Postby Ira » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:21 am

Luke, I didn't put a fan in, just a vent that I bought from that same guy you linked to. (But I put in AC.)

Fornesto, those jump-starter units, besides the convenience of looking nice and being able to easily carry it, don't even the cheapest of deep cycle batteries provide a ton more oomph?
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby GeorgeTelford » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:38 pm

Jump start units have around 17 Ah battery thats about 3 ah usable if fully charged if charged via ciggy lighter 8 if fully charged

a small leisure as about 85 Ah that 42 AH if fully charged or 13 if charged via engine
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby fornesto » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:42 pm

Probably not a great long term solution, but they are dual-purpose, easily obtainable, portable and if you only need a little bit of fan or a light, they might do the trick. They might work for an over nighter or for the absolute minimalist.

It would be a nifty experiment. I'll plug my 12V fan into my fully charged jump start unit and see how long till it dies or substantially slows.

Here's another alternative.

:lol:
fornesto
Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:52 pm

Fornesto,

Not a bad idea :thumbsup:

I used to use a similar battery powered fan when tent camping.
Batteries were only good for a night, but when its in the high eighties in the tent, batteries aren't a big concern.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby len19070 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:49 pm

Some industrious person should make a little fan like they do the Shake flash lights.

http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/ev ... light.html
But then I don't know how long between shakes it would run.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Chris C » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:06 pm

I'd think one would build up a sweat shakin' the thing so it would propel the fan...............a viscious circle, I'd imagine. :lol:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets