Why install cigarette lighter style 12v outlets?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Why install cigarette lighter style 12v outlets?

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:45 pm

I finally found out why I put that cigarette lighter style outlet in our galley: It's more technology proof.

Back around 2018, when we began our build, I bought several USB ports (USB-A) that eventually got installed on either side of our headboards. Our old phones charged fine, but when Shelly upgraded, hers wouldn't "fast charge." But, we bought the USB port for the galley two years later, and it had a lightning bolt on one of the four ports, and on that one, her phone fast charged just fine. Turns out, the phone and the smarter USB port communicate with each other, and the port changes voltage to match what the telephone wants to see, while the phone draws the right amount of current to keep the smart USB port happy. So, earlier this year, I upgraded the USB ports in our headboard.

Then on Monday, Shelly switched our service from Verizon to T-Mobile. (Immediately our service improved and our bill went down; not advertising, just saying. Your experience may vary. Verizon service was terrible in upstate NY, so we'll see next year if T-Mobile is better there.) Anyway, her phone was again out of date, so she upgraded. Now, our better USB-A chargers aren't good enough anymore. Hers needs the next iteration of charger. All they had at the T-Mobile store worked off of 120 vac. But, we found these things are common on Amazon and at Walmart

Problem solved, as long as you have old fashioned cigarette lighter outlets!
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Re: Why install cigarette lighter style 12v outlets?

Postby bdosborn » Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:55 pm

Small hijack, we switched from AT&T to T-mobile two years ago and our monthly bill was cut in *half* and we got two free phones! So far no complaints about service. Make sure you ask them for the grey hair discount...
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:57 pm

I had decided to put in one cigarette style outlet at the foot of the bed, for a 12 volt electric blanket and/or our DVD player, and one in the galley just for ??? Now I know why. Guess I'll figure out how to put them on the headboard as well, since that's more convenient than crawling under the bed!

Of course, since our Tundra has two USB-A ports and a cigarette lighter port, we also need this thing to charge her phone in there. But, since Toyota started charging a monthly fee for their nagrivation system (which was never very good), we were using her phone, plugged in through one of those USB-A ports with Google Maps, to navigate, displaying it on the truck's screen. Can't do that and charge simultaneously anymore!

Also, the Tundra doesn't have a CD player since those are old-fashioned. But that was okay, since we could play tunes through her phone. Can't do that now either (and charge at the same time). If those automotive engineers were in my class, they'd flunk, except the decisions weren't made by them but their idiot-managers. (Now that I'm retired, that's a single word.) :lol:

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:00 pm

bdosborn wrote:Small hijack, we switched from AT&T to T-mobile two years ago and our monthly bill was cut in *half* and we got two free phones! So far no complaints about service. Make sure you ask them for the grey hair discount...
Bruce

Yes, we got a mailer from them and that was the selling point!

Their coverage map shows some blank spots in Canada and the Adirondack mountains, but the gal said..(are we allowed to call them "gals" if they are half our age and we are ignorant grey hairs? no disrespect intended!) Anyway, she said they have contracts with other carriers for extended coverage. We probably won't know until next year, as our coverage in this region looks solid.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby TimC » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:32 pm

Good to know there is some purpose for a cig lighter port. I've switched everything to Anderson Power Poles to the point where when I get something with a cig lighter plug I cut it off and install an APP. Maybe on my new build I'll hide a cig lighter port somewhere just in case. Though I don't have a very modern phone so I'm not sure it would help. I always go for the cheapie Android.

BTW Tom, I just thought about you guys today when the Green Bay NBC local news reviewed this year's EAA. They said it was a huge success. Biggest crowds ever. Not sure that is a good thing unless you like crowds. I hope you are able to make it next year. Someday I'll get there. I want to see if they have a Naval Aircraft Factory N3N, the Yellow Peril! That's the plane my dad trained in.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby terrymorse » Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:32 am

bdosborn wrote:Small hijack, we switched from AT&T to T-mobile two years ago and our monthly bill was cut in *half* and we got two free phones! So far no complaints about service. Make sure you ask them for the grey hair discount...

Yes, the T-Mobile senior discount is a nice money saver. Also set up autopay -- that saves an additional $10.

Another question about the cigarette lighter connector: How much current can they handle? It seems they are limited to 10 or 15 Amps.

I have a 12v kettle that draws only 10 Amps, and its cigarette lighter connector gets quite hot to the touch. Is there a better choice than the cigarette lighter connector for high-ish current?
Last edited by terrymorse on Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
terrymorse
Teardrop Inspector

Postby working on it » Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:35 am

Bruce

Second hijack, or Why we switched to another phone plan, using phones of our (not theirs) choice: we switched from AT&T mobile (but we kept their unlimited wifi, because it cost about the same as the others in our area) in January, to Boost Unlimited for $25 per line. We kept our phones (both Samsungs...S8 & S9+), and decided to purchase (in the future) any new unlocked GSM phones outright, from Amazon, Ebay, the phone manufacturer, or Boost, whenever we needed a new one, and we did away with the $10+ per line insurance we had for the last 25 years, because it:

• 1) never paid for "repairs", but furnished a "refurbished" phone instead,
  • 2) the refurbed phone was always several years old, with no option for an upgrade to a later model, nor a brand change possible,
  • 3) the phones we received carried a surcharge (they weren't entirely paid for by the insurance program, as they had been when we first started), of $150 for the S8, three years ago, and $210 for the S9+, a year ago...What was the $10 a month paying for?, and
  • 4) we're not sure just how refurbished the phones were, since we had 3 of the last 4 (S7,S8,S8+, perhaps my S9+ is liable to, also?) have catastrophic battery swelling, that rendered them unusable

We had been loyal AT&T customers for 25+ years (we started out with VoiceStream Wireless (which became T-Mobile, later), then switched to Cingular (became AT&T mobile, later) for a year, after we found we had zero reception from VoiceStream/T-Mobile in our new home area. My wife switched to T-Mobile again, forgetting about the zero reception problem, which at least T-Mobile had increased to 1-bar reception by then, so finally after another year, back to AT&T again.

Forward to 2022: both retired, not wanting to pay $125 per month on our "Legacy" plan, I tried (for several months) to talk AT&T into giving us any sort of senior discount (I'm 72, she's 59), or a new lower cost plan (but with sufficient data for my wife's constant usage...I need less), to no avail. They said senior plans were only available in Florida??? And all the lower cost plans had much, much less data included, than the "legacy" plan we already had. So, I shopped (for three months) for a different carrier. Though I liked several MVNO's, and was leaning towards T-Mobile Magenta 55+ Plan ($35 per line, in 2022-early 2023), when I found Boost Inlimited ($25 per line, $25.76 w/taxes, forever). Other carriers promised lower initial offers, but had a history of upping them later, so I liked the forever feature. And Boost Unlimited uses the same AT&T towers that we have already used, and that covered camping spots I've used, wher there's no Verizon nor T-moble coverage, at least in the recent past).

Another thing about switching away from AT&T: it took me 20+ hours on the phone(just with AT&T, another 8 talking to the others on this list), just to unlock our phones, so we could switch to another carrier; AT&T reps (except the last one), were totally useless, sending me to talk to

• 1) Samsung (the maker of our phones),
  • 2) Assurion (the insurance that furnished our replacement phones),
  • 3) Verizon (from whom Assurion had received the phones they refurbished), and
  • 4) back to AT&T again.

The final AT&T rep had been there 20 years, and quickly furnished the info I needed to unlock the phones. She also tried to get me another, cheaper plan, but some higher-up prevented that from happening, but she did get me a $70 rtefund on our final bill! I had no problem at all with the Boost reps, even though I talked to three differnt people(I accidently hanged up, and one of our housecats hung me up a second time).

Eight months later, we've had no problems using Boost Unlimited, though I wonder if Dish Network (the owners) will have good reception from the towers they are building, and get away from using AT&T (and T-Mobile, in some locations) towers. I've seen T-Mobile's (and other carriers, too) prices fall since then, though I had to make a choice then, for the start of 2023, and I have no regrets choosing as I did.

A further benefit of leaving AT&T: Two months ago, my wife's S8 had it's battery swell up, cracking the screen. It had also been giving her some weird problems beforehand, and was barely usable, so when Amazon Prime day came, she grabbed the phone I had on my "saved for later" list (a new Motorola G Power 2022), that I had earmarked to replace my S9+, when and if its' battery swelled. The price was less than a refurbed one from AT&T/Assurion, or Boost, or even Motorola...and it was delivered two days later. She's keeping the S8, just in case (I don't know why), and she loves it, despite not having wireless charging. I had Motorola phones back in the 2000's, and Lenovo (owns Motorola) tablets (I've had/have two), and liked them. We'll see about the slow updates that are reported...we're used to slow updates from AT&T/Samsung already.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:03 pm

Hmm, not sure what's going on, but I'm having a hard time posting since switching to T-Mobile. I don't think it's their fault, but it happened at the same time... :thinking:

TimC wrote:BTW Tom, I just thought about you guys today when the Green Bay NBC local news reviewed this year's EAA. They said it was a huge success. Biggest crowds ever. Not sure that is a good thing unless you like crowds. I hope you are able to make it next year. Someday I'll get there. I want to see if they have a Naval Aircraft Factory N3N, the Yellow Peril! That's the plane my dad trained in.

Thank you Tim! I hope we make it too. We may travel to New York early next Summer, and then take a trip to Wisconsin and the EAA event in the middle of our stay. Should be a nice trip and good camping from that direction. We'll see. At least our medical issues that prevented the trip this year seem to be getting resolved.

I think I've seen N3N's at air museums. I believe there was one on the USS Midway, which is now a floating museum in San Diego. I think about my Dad everytime we're at an air museum, or airshow. He missed the chance to become a naval/military aviator by a few months; WW II ended right after he graduated from high school and they ended the aviation cadet program he was in. But he later learned to fly and owned a Cessna. He loved the early naval aircraft.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:36 pm

terrymorse wrote:Another question about the cigarette lighter connector: How much current can they handle? It seems they are limited to 10 or 15 Amps.

I have a 12v kettle that draws only 10 Amps, and its cigarette lighter connector gets quite hot to the touch. Is there a better choice than the cigarette lighter connector for high-ish current?

That's a good concern. I initially rejected these (lower right) because they couldn't handle the high current draw devices

Here's what they look like taken apart, btw

Instead, I used some rated for higher currents that are commonly sold on Amazon to fit in black bezels along with round USB ports (that are electrically very noisy) and round volt meters.

But, I believe these will work with the new USB-PD chargers, and so I will probably simply replace the ports in our headboards (lower left in the photo above) with these, which was where I originally intended to use them.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby twisted lines » Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:10 pm

Some of these plan's were tested by friends,
Above The Deep Blue lake of the area, (year's ago)
They changed back after getting home, While others worked fine.
I do hear of one that's almost temping to test though.
Now I wonder If I own a Cigarette lighter :thinking:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby philpom » Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:50 pm

I like options, we routinely use air pumps that use the 12v cig port, small compressors, lights that charge in them, portable DVD player, small inverter etc. I put 2 of these in the cabin, 1 on the headboard and one in the shelf right by the front door. Each one has the 10 amp cig port, 2 QC 3.0 USE ports (latest quick charge tech), a volt meter and power switch to eliminate vampire drain. I haven't installed it yet but I have a 12v cig adapter I want to install inside the battery box too. They are handy IMO, I have 3 of them in the bed of my truck too.

These come in a variety of configurations, 2,3, and 4 port options plus you can buy 2 or three of them and swap the port types out to configure what you want on a panel.

philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby friz » Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:12 pm

These rechargeable flashlights make good use of them.Image

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby working on it » Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:39 pm

Back to the main subject: I've noticed that different devices won't charge as well on aftermarket chargers and/or aftermarket power cords. We've got so many cords and chargers accumulated over the years, that it's a crapshoot as to which will work (properly) with what. Even my USB rechargeable flashlights are real picky as to which charger/cord combination they like. So, though I still have some old or of unknown provenance cords and chargers around, I now try to keep Samsung w/Samsung, Lenovo w/Lenovo, and now Motorola w/Motorola original factory accessories, to get the best data transferrence and charging rates. Otherwise, you have to experiment with the aftermarket stuff.

My trailer only uses one or two USB chargers, either with Micro-USB or USB-C cords (depending on the device being charged). They are all slow charge old Samsung units, from my first smartphone days, but I have a couple of fast charge cigar lighter inserts (Anker) in my pickup TV, if I need something recharged quickly.

I bought a Qidoe 3 Socket 180W, Quick Charge 3.0 Cigarette Lighter Splitter from Amazon, after I got my '01 BMW X5 project SAV (BMW-speak for SUV) in a trade for my old racecar, when I determined that it needed more USB power sources. My pickup had better gauges and I'd already added USB chargers there. Tucked to the passenger side, velcroed to the carpet there, it's out of sight (mostly), and I've used it heavily for two years now.
automotive device power splitter.JPG
about $20, and well worth it
automotive device power splitter.JPG (238.25 KiB) Viewed 1156 times

I was fixing the X5 up for camping, but I've not yet used it for that, yet. But I have used the power splitter (plugged into the front cigar lighter) for powering my devices, while the factory receptacle in the back seat, has an onboard Battery Tender installed and all are used almost daily.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:45 pm

working on it wrote:Back to the main subject: I've noticed that different devices won't charge as well on aftermarket chargers and/or aftermarket power cords. We've got so many cords and chargers accumulated over the years, that it's a crapshoot as to which will work (properly) with what. Even my USB rechargeable flashlights are real picky as to which charger/cord combination they like. So, though I still have some old or of unknown provenance cords and chargers around, I now try to keep Samsung w/Samsung, Lenovo w/Lenovo, and now Motorola w/Motorola original factory accessories, to get the best data transferrence and charging rates. Otherwise, you have to experiment with the aftermarket stuff.

Yes! We bought the cigarette lighter PD charger at Walmart because they had nothing like it at the T-Mobile store. We bought one to test, and it seems to work, so we bought two more. I'm hopeful they will in fact actually do what we want.

I'm an electrical engineer and I'm struggling to figure the USB standards and how different companies have implemented them. It's frustrating especially as there is a lot on the internet written by folks who don't know what they're talking about and shouldn't be writing. Including some writing for some computer magazines.

For example, if someone says the USB port is "pumping current [or amperage] to the phone" I hang up. Current isn't pumped, it's drawn by the phone. You can't put more current into the phone than it wants. The USB port does set the voltage across the wires.

Experimentation, or simply paying the prices to the phone manufacturer seem to be the viable routes right now.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby rjgimp » Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:01 am

Tom&Shelly wrote:I...we were using her phone, plugged in through one of those USB-A ports with Google Maps, to navigate, displaying it on the truck's screen. Can't do that and charge simultaneously anymore!

...we could play tunes through her phone. Can't do that now either (and charge at the same time).

Tom

So, I'm completely clueless in the tech world. I have an iPhone 11 and have recently discovered the concept of inductive charging with a "Qi" pad. The iPhone 12 and later use a newer inductive charger that involves magnets which hold the charger in a specific orientation for optimum interface. Does your Samsung phone charge this way? Could you use one of these inductive charging pads in the truck and simultaneously plug into the port for music or navigation?
:thinking:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets