DIY solar suitcase

Anything electric, AC or DC

DIY solar suitcase

Postby lfhoward » Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:45 am

Hi all,

I picked up a pair of Renogy 100 watt panels yesterday that I am hoping to use outdoors as a ground array for my trailer.

I am wondering if anyone has made “legs” for rigid glass panels like these that will allow them to stand up and be angled towards the sun. Also, has anyone hinged two of them together and made folding legs to turn them into a portable solar suitcase?

Ideas welcome! Pics encouraged!

Thanks in advance. :D
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: DIY solar suitcase

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:09 pm

I made a folding set years ago. I whacked up a couple of cheap camera tripod legs for the supports. I wish I had a photo of the backside, but the legs collapsed to fit inside the panels.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:12 pm

I'll look around for a picture, but it's as simple as just using angle iron (I have some aluminum 'round here) and drill a hole and bolt it on the panel frame. Ran with that for 4 yrs before I switch to a true suitcase.. they just stow better for me. My ridgid panels now live on the garage..

Lean them against about anything you have handy! Honestly, my 'suitcase' setup usually gets leaned on something to get the angle the best I can..
Oh ya, landscape,, not portrait (like you show).. less wind resistance..

Safe travels
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lfhoward » Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:21 pm

What do you all think of something like this?

https://www.adventurousway.com/blog/diy-portable-solar-panel

Needlessly complicated? Definitely looks sturdy, and the portrait orientation could work if the two panels were connected with a piano hinge.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:27 pm

What do you all think of something like this?

Looks good to me. Something tells me that you'll make some adjustments after a trip or two.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:53 am

Found a picture. You went a bit more elaborate then I did. With a notch in the angle iron it limits the angle. Like I mentioned, I like landscape better, less of a wind catch.. Folded nice and flat.

RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby cdnred » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:00 am

Given the size of the panels, have you given thoughts to modifying and using a standup mirror frame..? I know it might not be the easiest solution and perhaps hard to find..

Helmuth
Attachments
mirror.JPG
mirror.JPG (19.99 KiB) Viewed 391 times
cdnred
Teardrop Advisor

Postby lfhoward » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:06 am

We are having a snow storm here and schools are cancelled, so besides shoveling, I think I may have some time to putter on my solar suitcase project. I picked up window casement hinges, aluminum angle, and some stainless nuts and bolts. Tony, RJ Howell, and cdnred, thanks for your input! I’ll post pictures when I get it put together. One thing is for sure, this will be HEAVY with two 100 watt panels. But hopefully not unmanageable. I have the original Renogy box the two solar panels came in, and it has a handle.

Update: measured and marked out all of the aluminum brackets without cutting or drilling anything yet.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lfhoward » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:11 pm

I got the solar suitcase finished this morning and deployed before 11 am at the trailer. The trailer’s battery was down to 37% due to the snow storms obstructing the roof panel and the fact that it has been so cold out (the battery heats itself). With a week of cloudy and rainy weather ahead, I wanted to make the most of today’s sunny day.

Here are some photos from the build process and of the panels deployed next to the trailer.

I used window casement hinges and aluminum angle to make the stands.

Here is the first half of my suitcase panels finished.

The iPhone’s clinometer says the panel is exactly at a 40° angle. This is what I was shooting for as I live at 40°N latitude and it should be an efficient angle most of the year.

Here they are next to the trailer.

Close up of the supports and the wiring. I have them in series to make a 24 volt array.

Really good results today! The new external array is “Aux” in the VRM readout below.

I am really happy with 175 watts from a 200 watt array in January. I bet they will do better when the sun angle is higher in the sky.

Overall I was able to hit a combined 300 watts today with both solar systems together (roof+aux). Between 11 am and 3 pm the charge status of the battery rose from 37% to 75%, gaining about 60 amp hours during that time. The battery is no longer in danger of being too low to heat itself and charge itself up.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:09 pm

Nice! :thumbsup:

Fiddle-farted with ours last week trying to catch some bright spots under trees. I may try and come up with something more sophisticated than balancing it on rocks.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:51 pm

I may try and come up with something more sophisticated than balancing it on rocks.

Tom:

I don't recall if you ever got a 3d filament printer but I noticed this file on Thingiverse the other day:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4032374

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:12 pm

Thank you Tony!

We do have a filiment printer. I need to get with the times and learn how to use it! (It's Shelly's.) My first thought was aluminum angle.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:14 pm

I need to get with the times and learn how to use it!

I find it handy to design something functional and have the machine crank it out. I just added a post about these hooks:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:22 pm

Lfhoward,

I am glad to see that you posted data showing that your Rpi operates in 28.8F temperatures.

My Rpi connects to a Netgear router where the router serves as a LAN (with no www Internet available). Both devices are located inside my trailer.

When temperatures get below 35F, my Victron Connect app has a hard time connecting to the devices. Below 30F, the connectivity is erratic. Below 20F, the devices are not reliable at all and will not stay connected.

Both devices have published operating specs with a lower temperature range of 30F.

Until you posted your data, I could not tell which device was causing the problem or if both devices were causing the problem.

I now think that the Netgear router has been the limiting device.

Regardless, I solved the problem by putting both devices in my insulated battery box wherein my batteries reside. When ambient temperatures are around 30F, the heat generated internally by the devices in the box keeps the devices at 50F. So far, the devices have been running fine, with temperatures consistently about 20F higher than ambient temperatures.

Last week the ambient lows were about 0F, before I located the devices in the box. This week, since I located the devices in the box, the ambient lows have only been about 30F. So far so good. I am curious what the temperature differential will be in extremely cold ambient temperatures.

Normally, I do not look forward to colder temperatures. But, the science must continue! :)
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:18 am

Just an FYI - I'm pretty sure a Cerbo GX is based on a Rpi and mine has connected reliably to WiFi in -10F weather. I have an all SSD PC in the van and it freaked out in subfreezing weather and wouldn't boot. I brought it inside, warmed it up and it was fine.
Bruce
P.S. I know I should have made a portable panel too :NC but I just bought one of these on sale for the van. 1$/watt is a good price for a portable and it folds up fairly small for 200W.
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets