Running dual batteries???

Anything electric, AC or DC

Running dual batteries???

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:14 pm

I am starting to look at the electrical system while I wait for the trailer to be welded. Mt tow vehicle is a Jeep Wrangler with a winch. Right now I only have the stock battery. The Wrangler after market, has a dual battery tray (Fits in the engine compartment)available to allow you to have a seperate battery for your winch and extra electrical lights ect. I have searched around here and can't find a thread on this. My thoughts were, If I can do this I have 1 battery serving 2 functions. I have extra power for my winch as well as a power source for the trailer when back at camp. It also keep the battery weight in the Jeep. I realize that I would have to keep the Jeep hooked to the trailer if I need DC. But I want to have an AC/DC trailer. So If anyone has tried this let me know.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Joanne » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:30 pm

The only down side that I can see is that you would have to keep the jeep hooked up to the trailer so you would have power. Having the dual batteries in the jeep would be extra security when you are out 4 wheeling.

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby GeorgeTelford » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:58 am

And of course massive voltage drop between the Jeep and the trailer unless you use really thick cable.
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby madjack » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:18 am

...whenever you have a 2 battery system, the batteries should either be isolated from each other or bought at the same time...the weaker of the two batteries will pull juice from the other and cycle back and forth, discharging each other...also as George stated, you will need 6r8 gauge wireing to act as a supply line between the vehicle and camper to avoid voltage loss actoss the run
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:43 pm

Well after reading your answers I went on the Jeep forum to look at dual batteries a little closer. It seems that there are several differant companies making several differant style dual systems. After reading what you have to do I just don't think I can install it. So if I do it I will have to pay someone. But no where could I find anyone running to a Trailer. If I tried this I would need to run at least 30' of cable to the back of the trailer. Is there too much voltage loss going that far? Even if I use large Battery cable wire? Is there even a disconnect plug for large wire?
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Arne » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:58 pm

It depends on what you plan on running. If you are going to run an inverter, you will need some BIG wire (#10 for a 250 watt, #6 or 8 for a larger one). If you are just going to do reading lights, you can get by with something smaller....

Figure out how many watts you need and let us know, or at least what you plan on running..
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby GeorgeTelford » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:49 am

Hi Arne

even for light voltage drop is not good and certain items will cut out much sooner due to lack of voltage (tv's etc)

The battery can be showing 12.5 volts and the business end can be down to 11.5 before you know it.

To guage the wire, the wattage and total length of the wiring run is needed(there and back) bith have an effect.
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:45 pm

Well I spent more time today researching this. Buy the time I convert everything and add all the dual battery stuff it just seems to be to much money for the convienence of it. I think I'm better off after some of your answers that I may still not have steady voltage. Thanks for the help.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets