Want to wire 120 v

Anything electric, AC or DC

Want to wire 120 v

Postby Nytewyng » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:33 pm

Ok just got my Tear form little guy, 5 wide retro , long story short , ebay great price. It has no pre wired electric. I would like to have a shore line outlet box on the outside and maybe a power strip inside somewhere for reading light (TV CD ) maybe. The wife and I camp simple we dont need air conditioning but will use a coffe pot....where's the best place to get these electric parts/ items? Also I deathly afraid of doing a hack job and Im no Bob Villa more Tim Allen......any advice
Rob and Deb Mangano
Nytewyng
500 Club

Postby Boodro » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:55 pm

Think alot , Then plan some more , Then think alot!

Then look at it before you do anything, think alot , look somemore .

Did I say think alot ?

Really , the best thing is think it out & try to look a few steps ahead , as to if I do this what will it affect when I go to do that ? If you take your time & ask a lot of questions here & provide a lot of pics with the questions ,you know somebody will help you.

Its not that hard to wire , if your feel that you just can't do it , get a person that has the skills to help you or have them do it . Good luck! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TD4FREEW/CTD » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:25 am

where all do you want this 120v electrical? how complete is the TD? how much power do you plan to use?
TD4FREEW/CTD
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Nytewyng » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:19 am

Its a Little guy 5 wide retro. I would like a few outlets on the inside and a shore line box on the outside.
Rob and Deb Mangano
Nytewyng
500 Club

Postby TD4FREEW/CTD » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:22 am

please exscuse my ignorance, but what exactly is a "shore line box"?

is that like your little breaker panel that you feed the power through?
TD4FREEW/CTD
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Nytewyng » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:37 am

A shore line is the power line that comes from the camper to the power outlet at the campsite.......
Rob and Deb Mangano
Nytewyng
500 Club

Postby Gage » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:48 am

Nytewyng, is your galley shelf removeable. I haven't seen a 5 wide up close is why I ask.

Have a good day.

:thinking:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Sonetpro » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:54 am

Heres what I'm doing. Only 1 hole and 4 screws. Also waterproof and you can keep the cord seperatly.

http://tinyurl.com/zn4dz
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Ira » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:38 am

Sonetpro wrote:Heres what I'm doing. Only 1 hole and 4 screws. Also waterproof and you can keep the cord seperatly.

http://tinyurl.com/zn4dz

NOT CHEAP!

I'm using a similar receptacle, same company.

But note:

The "male" receptacle shown above will only take this same company's FEMALE part--the "piece" that you connect to the cord that goes to your shore power. In other words, for this brand, they "depth" it a certain way so you have to buy THEIR parts. You can't just go to HD and buy a replacement piece.

And believe me, the comparable item for this at HD is A LOT cheaper.

But Rob, there's a lot more to this than just plugging into shore power. You're going to want breaker or fuse protection.

For now, since you definitely don't want to cut any holes in your gorgeous new toy, there might be a portable solution that has breakers. For your cabin, heck--you can get lights that run on batteries and that you can hang on the walls without messing anything up too much.

By the way--do you have a ceiling vent there? No fan? Kind of surpirses me that they would sell it without the fan preinstalled.

But there's some great advice above--take your TIME and don't make any stupid holes yet. There are a bunch of portable propane cooking solutions that will see you through for now, until you REALLY decide to run an electrical system.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Nytewyng » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:09 pm

ok Gage , the shelf in the galley runs about 60% of the way across, its hinged and lifts up , the rest is staionary.Not a problem I probably will "decorate " the Galley area bit don think Ill cook there, we usually put our coleman on the picnic table at the site, we did get a Paha que ( the wifes money) that is 12 by 12 screen room with privacy drop downs so we have a place to dress in the am ( also the porti potti for the night calls) it was made for Pleasant Valley so on side has the shape of a generic Tear ( pretty cool setup )
I guess Ill take the advice and use the battery light inside for now, as far as electric goes we like perked coffe in the am so I usually take a heavy duty extension cord witha power strip so I can have some tunes from the radio. The wife would kill me if I suggested a flat screen Tv inside ( all in due time 8)
Rob and Deb Mangano
Nytewyng
500 Club

Postby Chuck Craven » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:16 pm

Hubble makes a 15amp and a 20amp that looks almost like that. It does not have a cover on it but go to an ACE hardware and get a cast aluminum cover. The cover is $5.00 and the Hubble male is $20.00 or less. The Hubble connector can be got from any electrical outlet or even on line. The nice thing about using a standard connector is you can use a molded extension cord from the shore power pole to your camper. Stop at a big box HD/Lows and get a book on electrical wiring and study that before going to far. It will give you all the basic how to do, so you can ask better questions later as you go to it. 8)
Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets