Extra charge for my battery?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Extra charge for my battery?

Postby Georgeandpat » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:45 pm

Sam's Club wants to charge me an extra fee for my old battery- something like $7. I explained that I built a trailer and want to install a new battery- I don't have an old one. I may seem cheap but the idea of being squeezed for a few bucks more doesn't interest me. I guess I'll have to go find an old battery somewhere. :x George.
Georgeandpat
Teardrop Master

Postby emiller » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:06 pm

I have a old battery you can have but you would have to drive down to the Sweetwater gathering to get it. Let me know if you want me to bring it.I will be arriving early about 1:00 p.m. on Wednesday the 12th
emiller
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:09 pm

George
:shock: Mine pays me for my old battery. They recycle the metal. Maybe they are charging for the lost revenue. Kinda cheap.

Not a good way to get customers. Got my extra battery at the junkyard for a couple of dollars. Works!

:) Just a thought
Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Georgeandpat » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:43 pm

Ed, I'd appreciate that if you're sure you don't mind bringing it. We won't be there until Friday (maybe late Friday) but we will be there. Thank you! :applause: George.
Georgeandpat
Teardrop Master

Postby Krob » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:23 pm

It may be a hazardous waste disposal fee required by a state or local law. Usually very difficult to circumvent as the law may be written to assume all vehicle batteries are replacements. :thinking:
Krob
Teardrop Builder

Postby emiller » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:00 am

Georgeandpat wrote:Ed, I'd appreciate that if you're sure you don't mind bringing it. We won't be there until Friday (maybe late Friday) but we will be there. Thank you! :applause: George.

No I don't mind. I'd be happy to help out.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby Ira » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:46 am

Krob wrote:It may be a hazardous waste disposal fee required by a state or local law. Usually very difficult to circumvent as the law may be written to assume all vehicle batteries are replacements. :thinking:

That's what it is:

An incentive for you to bring the old battery back for recycling.

You're not allowed to throw it in the dump--but THEY are.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby gman » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:47 am

Take an early morning trip around the back of your local autoparts store, people were always dumping them there to avoid the cleanup fee when I worked for one of them, my job was to pick them up first thing, along with the buckets of used oil and antifreeze.
Junk is something you've kept for years
And throw away three weeks before you need it.
gman
The 300 Club

Postby Georgeandpat » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:27 am

Thank you everyone for your feedback. Overall it is probably a very effective law and one I do support for the common good. But I wonder what percentage of old batteries are actually exchanged or turned in? Where does the unclaimed money go? I'm sure that the auto makers and manufacturers of new equipment with batteries don't have to pay this fee. Oh well....moving on now.
Georgeandpat
Teardrop Master

Postby Ira » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:07 pm

Georgeandpat wrote:Thank you everyone for your feedback. Overall it is probably a very effective law and one I do support for the common good. But I wonder what percentage of old batteries are actually exchanged or turned in? Where does the unclaimed money go? I'm sure that the auto makers and manufacturers of new equipment with batteries don't have to pay this fee. Oh well....moving on now.

I have a dead deep-cycle marine battery sitting on the side of my house for 5 years now:

I used to use it for the trolling motor on my tiny Jon Boat. The battery took a crap long ago, I got rid of the boat NOT too long ago, and I don't know what to do with the dang thing.

I'm NOT paying money just to throw it out--and our trash service won't take it.

Come to think of it, one of my neighbors' dogs keeps taking a dump on my lawn. Maybe THEY would like this old battery. I'll put it right next to their dog's s***.

Then deliver them both to their front door.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Micro469 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:25 pm

Don't consider the $7.00 an extra charge, but part of the actual price of the battery. They will give you the money back as an incentive to return your old battery. It's unfortunate they don't advertise the entire price of the battery, just minus the rebate. We have a store up here who will advertise something on sale, and then add on a $5.00 - $25.00 setup fee even if you buy it in the box not put together. Burns my Axx, that's when I buy it somewhere else........
:x
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Battery Charges

Postby jo_tigger » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:42 pm

8) Here in Texas we have a $7 core charge as well as a $3 battery fee(tax). You get the core charge back when you supply a core. We have had this fee here as long as I can remember. Also they are not legally allowed to throw them in the dump. I read a great article several years back about a used battery processing plant which I believe was in Alabama. It seems lead acid batteries are 98% recyclable. In my book that is good deal for everybody.

Richard
Austin, TX
Richard
Austin, TX
jo_tigger
Donating Member

Postby Georgeandpat » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:22 pm

Ed, Someone at work gave me an old battery today so you don't have to haul your old one up(down?) to San Diego. Still, I appreciate your willingness to do so and look forward to meeting you next week. I'll PM you to make sure you get the message. :) George.
Georgeandpat
Teardrop Master

Postby cracker39 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:30 pm

Ira wrote:I used to use it for the trolling motor on my tiny Jon Boat. The battery took a crap long ago, I got rid of the boat NOT too long ago, and I don't know what to do with the dang thing.

I'm NOT paying money just to throw it out--and our trash service won't take it.

Ira, most landfills have a place to take hazardous waste and batteries for recycling. I know our main landfill does. I take buckets of old paint and batteries there. They'll even take containers of old gasoline that has sat too long or has contaminents in it. And there's no charge for that either.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets