Sate of Charge LED Battery Meter

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby cracker39 » Sat May 20, 2006 7:22 am

So, bottom line is that if I am camping with no shore power, I can't really tell when my battery is getting too low to use? That doesn't seem right.

I need to monitor my battery and planned to use a plug-in voltage monitor, but can't find one online. Does anyone have a source link for one? And, if I have one, will it do me any good to watch my voltage?
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby GeorgeTelford » Sat May 20, 2006 9:05 am

Hi Sonetpro

If the batteries are being charged and you measure the voltage all you will read is the charging voltage, ie the output of the charger.

With all your years experience please explain how the charging voltage that you measure will tell you the SOC of the battery.

Because what I am reading from you is complete bluster to defend a statement that makes no sense.
I eagerly await learning from you

I will link to any number of pages that tell you how to measure SOC and they all say measure rested.

Hi Cracker

Read my post's over, you can get an aproximation of the state of Charge with a voltage reading if you do an initial charge test to give you a starting point and of course you must not have the charger running otherwise all you will measure is the ouput of the charger.

George
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Sat May 20, 2006 10:07 am

cracker39 wrote:So, bottom line is that if I am camping with no shore power, I can't really tell when my battery is getting too low to use? That doesn't seem right.

I need to monitor my battery and planned to use a plug-in voltage monitor, but can't find one online. Does anyone have a source link for one? And, if I have one, will it do me any good to watch my voltage?

Dale,

Keeping things simple and inexpensive here is a basic meter that will tell you what you want to know. They sell them at boaters World for $25.99. I would install a momentary push button switch to push while reading the battery level.

Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Sat May 20, 2006 11:06 am

Thanks for both your replies.

George, my converter is also a 3-stage charger, and I don't know now to disable the charger except to cut the main power, which I could do I suppose to check occastionally.

Steve, I didn't want to have to wire in a meter. I thought one that plugged into the 12V socket could be bought, but haven't seen one lately. I'm sure I have seen this in the past somewhere.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Q » Sat May 20, 2006 11:27 am

My thoughts on a single battery system like a teardrop is:

Don't worry, be happy!

Why spend a bunch of money on monitoring and charging equipment to prolong the life of a $60 battery. I don't pay any attention to the voltage of my teardrop battery. The solar panel charges it when it gets sunshine and I use the power as I need it without concern for the battery.

Q
Q
Teardrop Master

Postby Kevin A » Sat May 20, 2006 11:46 am

Q wrote:My thoughts on a single battery system like a teardrop is:

Don't worry, be happy!

Why spend a bunch of money on monitoring and charging equipment to prolong the life of a $60 battery. I don't pay any attention to the voltage of my teardrop battery. The solar panel charges it when it gets sunshine and I use the power as I need it without concern for the battery.

Q

I agree with Q on this one, I think this issue of battery charging has gone way beyond the requirements of camping in a teardrop.

"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby Sonetpro » Sat May 20, 2006 11:57 am

Kevin A wrote:

Don't worry, be happy!

Q

I agree with Q on this one, I think this issue of battery charging has gone way beyond the requirements of camping in a teardrop.

I agree with both. A simple meter be it a auto, boat or what ever.
All you need to know is when the voltage drops to 12V, charge it.
This isn't science. It's just a battery running a few lights and a fan.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Larwyn » Sat May 20, 2006 1:13 pm

Most of us are using only one or two deep cycle batteries in our TD. It might be nice to get maximum service from them, but I do not see it as being worth all the worry and such which goes along with trying to reach that goal.

Sure, I am using an AGM battery and a multi stage charger to get as much service as I can from a neglected/abused 12V system. If the lights are getting dim, I'll charge the battery, or get out the candles. If it will not hold a charge, I'll replace it. Use it, abuse it, recycle it. I wont waste my time worrying if I have robbed my battery of a few amp hours of life by not paying meticulous attention to the state of charge while I am out to enjoy camping. My trailer is for nice relaxing camping trips, I am not planning any Battery Maintenace Trips for my TD.
:D :D :D
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby Nitetimes » Sat May 20, 2006 1:21 pm

Don't worry, be happy!

Q

Kevin A wrote:

Sonetpro wrote:
This isn't science. It's just a battery running a few lights and a fan.

Larwyn wrote:
I wont waste my time worrying if I have robbed my battery of a few amp hours of life by not paying meticulous attention to the state of charge while I am out to enjoy camping. My trailer is for nice relaxing camping trips, I am not planning any Battery Maintenace Trips for my TD.
:D :D :D

Finally!!!... some of you guys around here talking sense when it comes to those batteries! I have a $30 Wallyworld battery in mine and that's all I intend to spend on one. If it lasts me a couple years that's great, I'll buy another one. There's always some place to get a cheap battery within a reasonable distance of where you are at/going.
When the lightbulb starts glowing a little less brite I'll bet it's time to charge the battery!!
And yes, mine will be connected to the alternator when traveling.
I don't spend all my time insde so I don't care if the battery goes kersplewy after a while.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby GeorgeTelford » Sat May 20, 2006 2:04 pm

Heh all

I totally agree with keep it simple, I am only disagreeing with the utter Bullshit posted earlier by Sonetpro, if you measure a battery while its on charge you will learn nothing about its State of charge, you will only learn the chargers output.

Which is why Sonetpro is now backing out and not defending his earlier claims (25 years experience or not, he still isnt man enough to admit he was wrong)

PS I dont even mind that Sonetpro got it wrong, what I do dislike is the nasty way he posted his reply and even now when he is obviously incorrect hiding behind keep it simple.

Nitetimes

I dont really care if you abuse your battery by alternator charging it, its only you that suffers, if someone wants their battery to last longer over a weekend (in hours usage) then I let em know that the alternator shortens the time, the fact that you know that, but choose to have shorter battery life says a lot.
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby Kevin A » Sat May 20, 2006 2:20 pm

GeorgeTelford wrote:Heh all

I totally agree with keep it simple, I am only disagreeing with the utter Bullshit posted earlier by Sonetpro, if you measure a battery while its on charge you will learn nothing about its State of charge, you will only learn the chargers output.

Which is why Sonetpro is now backing out and not defending his earlier claims (25 years experience or not, he still isnt man enough to admit he was wrong)

PS I dont even mind that Sonetpro got it wrong, what I do dislike is the nasty way he posted his reply and even now when he is obviously incorrect hiding behind keep it simple.

Nitetimes

I dont really care if you abuse your battery by alternator charging it, its only you that suffers, if someone wants their battery to last longer over a weekend (in hours usage) then I let em know that the alternator shortens the time, the fact that you know that, but choose to have shorter battery life says a lot.

George,
You're skating on thin ice. Knock off the condescending attitude.
If you're having a problem with the tone of other posters, you might want to look in the mirror and stop antagonizing them with some of your own elitist comments. I'm not interested in any rebuttles, I'm asking you to tone down your elitist attitude towards other members of this forum. It's getting tiresome having to read through all these heated exchanges and making the decision to leave a thread or pull it.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby GeorgeTelford » Sat May 20, 2006 2:25 pm

Hi Kevin

Please look back in this thread I answered nicely until Sonetpro started with the nasty put downs, am I to understand that Sonetpro as carte blanche to be condescending and I must not respond in kind?

already someone as messed with the title over my avatar, should the admins be involved in mickey taking too?

BTW

Nitetimes is just joined the gang due to in the past disagreeing, but again not having any evidence to back it up, same ole same ole
Last edited by GeorgeTelford on Sat May 20, 2006 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby An Ol Timer » Sat May 20, 2006 2:28 pm

I agree with Kevin 100%. George it takes a bigger and better man to back away sometimes from an arguement that he can't possibly win whether he's right or wrong. I see a lot of posts that I know are wrong but I leave them be rather have a confrontation.
An Ol Timer
Teardrop Master

Postby GeorgeTelford » Sat May 20, 2006 2:48 pm

Hi Ol Timer

this is a simple matter of fact.

I am right and Sonetpro is proveably wrong. I didnt start with the condescending attitude Sonetpro did using 25 + years of experience and sarcasm to back a TOTALLY wrong answer.
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby Sonetpro » Sat May 20, 2006 3:14 pm

Sonetpro wrote:George You are right I am wrong.

:MLAS Nuff said George. let it be.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical Secrets