Where to find water on a road trip

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Where to find water on a road trip

Postby dancam » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:48 pm

So we are doing a long (3 month, 20k mile) road trip next summer across Canada. Going to try to stay out of campgrounds that cost money. Maybe 1 out of every 3 nights or less pull into a cheap campground I am thinking.
So Where would we get water? I plan to have 3 days worth of drinking/cooking/washing water storage in the trailer and a tank under the trailer which when full would give the 4 of us 1 shower each. So where would you find drinking water in towns your passing through? Many campsites I have been to over the years do not have potable water. And for the shower water- is there places you can just get 80L of water cheap or free? Or some sort of a filter I could pump river water through into a 5 gallon jug, then pour it into my tank? Would you have to add like a capful of bleach to that to keep things from growing in the tank?
I'm sure i'm far from the first person doing something like this so im looking forward to hearing what you guys do. Thanks
dancam
500 Club

Re: Where to find water on a road trip

Postby John61CT » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Recent thread, asking about cities, but. . . http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/sho ... #pid304165
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:33 am

Having spent three weeks on the roads of northern Utah and southern Utah in April, I found water to be a bit of a challenge.

RV parks didn't blink an eye when we asked if we could top off our seven gallon jug. Some gas stations have a faucet and were fine with us topping off the jug while fueling up. When you hit a laundromat, they usually have a deep sink that you can use.

I think the big thing might be to mention how big your container is. That way they don't think your filling up a 35 gallon onboard tank.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:21 am

Or just say "not too much" if you are filling up a big tank 8-)
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dancam » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:08 pm

Thanks guys, I also found this which was helpful:http://offtracktravel.ca/2015/02/24/finding-the-essentials-on-a-road-trip-in-canada/#comment-344542
I will look into what I need to do if i ever have to use river water later on. Should be able to reliably get potable water though.
dancam
500 Club

Postby PanelDeland » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:04 pm

I would do a KOA or such every 3 rd day so I could get a good shower. They have water at the site Usually so..... You can also usually fill up at a state campground even if you camp in a primitive site.
"I know the voices in my head aren't real,but they have some really good Ideas!"
PanelDeland
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:06 pm

I have set our tear up to pull water from lakes and streams and make it potable with filters, exactly what we did when canoe camping in Canada.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby dancam » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:11 am

Shadow Catcher wrote:I have set our tear up to pull water from lakes and streams and make it potable with filters, exactly what we did when canoe camping in Canada.

I have been thinking about doing this, what did you use for a filtration system?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby capnTelescope » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:53 am

Grocery stores for drinking water, hose for other. On this summer's road trip up thru B.C., Yukon Tty and interior Alaska, I kept 1 or 2 ten-liter (2 1/2 gallon) jugs in the TV, a 3-liter jug in the galley, and 1/2 liter bottles, all for drinking & cooking. For dish- and me-washing, I used the tank in the TD. Refilled the 3-liter from the tens, so I didn't have to lug the tens that often. 1/2 liter bottles were backup and canteens. I also carried a 6-gallon jug if I had to get non-potable h2o for the tank, but never used it. Dry-camped most of the time. Thought this all worked pretty well together.

Get over the idea of having to wash dishes in a tub full of water. Wipe your skillet/saucepan with a paper towel, add tank water & boil. Clean & sterilize your flatware in the boiling water with a paper towel follow-up wipe. Paper plates clean up in the campfire just fine.

Anytime you hit what passes for a big city, get the big jugs where you get your groceries. 1/2 liter bottles are common almost anywhere. Wally's and Real Canadian stores are your best bets in western Canada. Wally, Safeway and Fred Meyers in Alaska.

Showers? RV parks run $40-45 per night, and they have showers, laundry and water faucets. I was traveling alone, so those showers got realllly stretched sometimes. So did laundry. YMMV.

I enjoyed Canada as much as Alaska. Have a fun trip!
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:00 pm

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby razorback » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:38 pm

This is what I have used for many years in Alaska after being flown into the wilderness for two weeks at a time. fill in a lake or river and it will gravity flow 2 1/2 gallons in about five or 6 minutes. I fill 5 gallon collapsable water jugs. Very fast and very effective.
https://www.rei.com/product/872130/kata ... ter-filter I got mine at Academy Sports for less than the price in the link. replacement filters are pretty reasonable
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby lrrowe » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:00 am

I think I will carry enough drinking water to cover my trip for short excursions. Maybe I will fill the fresh water holding tank before leaving for showers and such, again for short trips.
But this February, when we head to Florida for the Ground Hog Gathering, I am thinking of not having any water in the freshwater tank to keep the weight down and help with gas mileage. I can then fill it up at the final destination campground. I will look for any potential to leave something behind to save on the weight. We can always stop and buy drinking water.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Return to Camping Secrets