camp stove fuel type

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:03 pm

BTW, can anyone explain to me why typos never show up until after you hit the "Submit" button. Thinking

:lol: Puter grimlins! You can use the edit button if you catch one you really care about. The other thing you can do is use a Google tool bar which will not let you even get away with not capitalizing Google. 8)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Ncaoutdoors » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:20 pm

I do feel the nostalgia of cooking with a coleman stove using the white gas, and of course using the lanterns. I never did like having to fill them up. You lose the little funnel and your mad as :x . plus having to pump them up all the time is a real hassle. me, myelf I prefer propane. I think you wont be seeing much of white gas much anymore. Im sure they will find a way it causes global warming or something. :R
scott m clark
...nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.
Mark Twain
Ncaoutdoors
Teardrop Builder

Postby Joanne » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:38 pm

Although I use propane for the convenience, I have had several occasions when I had problems with it because of the high altitude and cold weather. Still, I probably won't go back to white gas.

Joanne

caseydog wrote:I used to do camp cooking classes at REI, and here was the basic pros/cons stuff I mentioned.

White Gas: Good heat, and worked at wide range of temperatures and elevations. But, liquid fuel is not as safe to handle -- gases disperse imediately, while liquid fuel saturates and evaporates slowly. Some white gas stoves can also burn unleaded gasoline, which is available everywhere.

Propane: Not as hot as white gas stoves, but safer. It does not have the weather and altitude range of white gas, but it is pretty darn good. Being a gas, if it leaks, the gas dissipates into the air very quickly.

Butane: Often used for very compact stoves, such as for backpakers. Not as hot as Propane, and not good for very cold weather or high altitudes. Safe to use, for the same reasons as propane.

All types of stoves require occassional maintenance for best performance and safety. Liquid fuel stoves require considerably more maintenance than the propane and butane stoves.

My own stoves include a Coleman propane camp stove for my TD, and a tiny MSR butane stove for backpacking. I have seen to many camp stove fires with white gas. Some people love them, but they make me nervous.

That's my 2-cents worth.
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby Mike C. » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:27 am

We have 2 stoves that run on white gas, 1 that is propane, and 1 that is butane. For nostalgia's sake, I like the white gas, but the propane is new and works really well, so.... And the butane makes a really hot cook surface. I guess it just depends on what you, personally like. Which is pretty much the way everything on this forum works. Pick out what you like and go for it. :thumbsup:
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby raprap » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:00 pm

an alternate to white gas or butane/propane lanterns is one that does not use either flammable gasses or liquids. I have two uco candle lanterns that I use regularly http://candlelantern.com/advantage.html. I have also seen candles used for cooking in dire straights.

Rap
Kentucky Pool Made a Fool out of me.
Instead of Tennessee River it looks like I'm headed to the deep blue sea.

JHartford
raprap
Teardrop Master

Postby doug hodder » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:10 am

I prefer the white gas, or Coleman fuel...also marketed as CampMark or something like that I think...green can available at WalMart....more BTU's out of white gas than the propane. I have a dual fuel stove, and against a similar stove running regular unleaded gas, the white gas will boil a pot of water quicker, but it is more expensive, but not as bad as the little propane bottles. In Eureka at the Irg1 I paid 7.5$ a gallon at a grocery store...but picked it up locally for 4$ at Walley World...2006 pricing in Calif....I'll go through maybe 2 gallons total for the year, depending on how many waffle fans I'm going to cook for. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Q » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:09 am

The teardrop has a built in 2 burner stove with a 20 lb propane tank. It supplies the stove and the furnace. For motorcycle touring I use a very old Swedish kerosene stove. It's made of brass and requires a squirt of alcohol to pre-heat it. One fill with kerosene lasts a very long time, and the thing burns really hot but is very adjustable. It's my favorite.

Q
Q
Teardrop Master

Postby jeepr » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:18 am

White gas for me. I have been using it for 30 years or so, and it's hard to teach old dogs new tricks.. :lol:

I like my old stoves and there is something comforting in the ritual involved in firing up the two burner Coleman. Reminds me of camping as a kid.
Mike C.
jeepr
The 300 Club

Postby dreadcptflint » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:24 pm

I use White Gas in an old Coleman 2 burner that we picked up at an garage sale for $3 My lattern and backpack stove are both multifuel because of my paraniod nature.
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MrBuzz » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:33 pm

Love my Green Coleman white gas stove. I'm not a fan of the disposable 2# LP cylinders, seems like anytime I used them I ran out of gas and I really don't like throwing the cylinders in the garbage!
It's fun being more self-sufficient...packing a can of gas and refilling the tank isn't a big deal.
I also bought a Coleman folding camp oven that sits on top of my stove. Works Great!! Even when baking the stove doesn't use much gas. And as an added bonus it really cooks coffee fast!!
Generic Benroy - built 2007, 4X8, 1175 HF trailer, Structoglass roof and headliner, 12v and 110v electrics with Schumacher charger.
MrBuzz
Teardrop Master

Postby Toolie » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:18 pm

Buzz,
I'm glad you posted recently so I can follow up. I still have my old Coleman white gas stove too but I don't use it anymore. The fuel has zylene or one of those other nasties in it, I think it was a carcinogen.

I still have a couple of gallons out in the garage.

Think I'll get rid of it before the cans rust away or something.
Toolie
Slowest Teardrop Builder WANNABE

Propane or white gas?

Postby gyroguy » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:36 pm

The Crocodile Tear has a 2-burner propane stove with space below it for a 20-lb. propane tank. I I were going to do it again, I'd just use the 1-lb. green cannisters instead of the 20 lb. tank.

The green cannisters of propane sell for about $2.50 in Wal-Mart. As someone wrote, they last 2-5 hours. But don't throw them away! There is an adapter that screws onto a 20-lb. propane tank and will fill the used green cannisters in about a minute. My adapter cost $19 at Northern Tool.

When I refill the 20 lb. tank, it costs $2.30 per gallon. The 20-lb. tank can safely hold 17 pounds ofpropane when 80% full. They never fill the tank completely full because it can heat up and vent liquid propane... that's a no-no!

When I refill the green cannisters, the propane costs about about 60¢ when it comes from my 20-lb. tank. Be sure to check that the refilled cartridge isn't leaking at the valve. If it is, put it outside til it emptys. Then discard it.

How to know how much propane is in your 20-lb. tank? On the lip of your tank you'll find Tare Weight or TW, which is the weight of the empty tank. Typically it is around 16 to 18 pounds. Weigh your tank, deduct the tare weight, and everything left is propane in your tank. Example:
34.5 pounds Weight of tank
17.2 pounds Tare Weight of tank
=17.3 pounds of propane in tank (tank is full)

You can do the same thing with the green cannisters. But you'll have to empty one first and get its weight in ounces. Then weigh a full one, and get its weight in ounces. Deduct one from the other, and you have the weight of the propane in the green cannister. I'd do the math here again, but all brands of green cannisters don't weigh the same.

Now, why propane instead of white gas?

1) It's is dangerous -- maybe stupid, too -- to refill a hot white gas stove with fuel. That's the cause of many fires. If you have your propane bottle at the end of a long hose, swapping bottles is no problem.

2) White gas evaporates slowly. A friend of mine, Craig Dixon, just spread most of a gallon on a brush pile to get it burning. The explosion that resulted was heard all over town. Many people saw the fireball, too. He was blown backward about 30 feet. He is recovering from 2nd degree burns on face, arms, hands, and legs. Propane is heavier than air but dissipates rapidly in a breeze.

3) Because it's liquid, white gas can spill. In an enclosed area, the vapors can be explosive. Propane doesn't spill. Your teardrop should have a hole in the bottom of the propane storage area to let out any propane vapors.

4) White gas eventually goes bad in storage, though not as quickly as reformulated gasoline does. Propane lasts forever.

I have several propane stoves which I use, and a Coleman white gas stove that's an antique. The only time it gets used is to demonstrate it to my Boy Scouts... and tell them to get a propane stove.

For info on the Crocodile Tear, go to my website: <crocodiletear.com>
For build pix of Crocodile Tear, completed 10/26/06 -- Look at my album or new website <www.crocodiletear.com> (website has more info)
gyroguy
Teardrop Advisor

Green propain bottles

Postby RiffRaff » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:54 pm

As a side note, Provincial parks in Ontario are asking people to not bring the 1# bottles into the parks, and ask that you use camp fuel or 20# bottles.

Also it's illegal to transport refiled 1# bottles.
RiffRaff
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Green propain bottles

Postby gyroguy » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:30 am

RiffRaff wrote:it's illegal to transport refiled 1# bottles.

How could you tell if a green propane bottle has been refilled or not?
For build pix of Crocodile Tear, completed 10/26/06 -- Look at my album or new website <www.crocodiletear.com> (website has more info)
gyroguy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby PresTx82 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:47 pm

I use everything depending on what we are doing. I've forgotten my butane tanks back at the house and I luckily had my trusty Coleman Stove #502 that was willing and able. In this picture I had both! :thumbsup:

Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets