12v cooking appliances

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Re: 12v cooking appliances

Postby Mary K » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:27 pm

beachcamper wrote:...It was not a favorable experience at that.
thx

Well...What happend... :twisted: :lol:

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby sdtripper2 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:32 pm

:thumbdown: :cry: :x :thumbdown:

I borrowed a 12volt 4 cup coffee maker in 2005 as I was getting ready to go
on a trip. So to see how it worked I set it uP to brew and plugged it into my
Honda CRV's outlet while the car was just setting in the driveway. It took
forever to brew the water till hot and go through the grind. Like 45 minutes.

I said self.... nope not even going to get one of these and then it happened ~
Tried to start the car and the battery was drained .... Ugh ugh ugh.
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby madjack » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:58 pm

...during 20+ years of trucking, I have had coffee pots, luchbox ovens, refrigerators, several different types of water heaters,vacum cleaners and a soup pot/popcorn maker...they all worked and they all sucked...they are slow and are battery hogs...the battery drain wasn't a big factor in the big truck, since it was usually running and had 3r4 batteries but they were all slow as molasses in the winter...the only one I liked was a water heater from Brunton(Ithink)...it looked kinda like a thermos and would heat 2cups of water to boiling in about 15 minutes or so...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:26 pm

BC...I would go thru periods of buying various 12vdc appliances because they seemed like just the ticket...I would finally get mad and dump 'em only to doit again a couple of years latter because I hoped they had gotten better...they never did...physics or the laws of electricty just limit what you can do reasonably with only 12v to work with.........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Gaston » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:21 pm

The only 12v "appliance " I ever found that worked was the electric starter on a generator set :thumbsup:
The difficult we do now... the impossible takes a little longer
Gaston
Donating Member

Postby Kankujoe » Fri May 25, 2007 2:09 am

madjack wrote:...during 20+ years of trucking, I have had coffee pots, luchbox ovens, refrigerators, several different types of water heaters,vacum cleaners and a soup pot/popcorn maker...they all worked and they all sucked...they are slow and are battery hogs...the battery drain wasn't a big factor in the big truck, since it was usually running and had 3r4 batteries but they were all slow as molasses in the winter...the only one I liked was a water heater from Brunton(Ithink)...it looked kinda like a thermos and would heat 2cups of water to boiling in about 15 minutes or so...
madjack 8)

Sure wish I had read this post last week. I just bought a 12v lunchbox oven & a 12v water heater at a truck stop last weekend. A few truckers told me that they really like the lunchbox oven & the water heater was pretty good to.
Joe

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-el-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby madjack » Fri May 25, 2007 3:19 am

Kankujoe wrote:
madjack wrote:...during 20+ years of trucking, I have had coffee pots, luchbox ovens, refrigerators, several different types of water heaters,vacum cleaners and a soup pot/popcorn maker...they all worked and they all sucked...they are slow and are battery hogs...the battery drain wasn't a big factor in the big truck, since it was usually running and had 3r4 batteries but they were all slow as molasses in the winter...the only one I liked was a water heater from Brunton(Ithink)...it looked kinda like a thermos and would heat 2cups of water to boiling in about 15 minutes or so...
madjack 8)

Sure wish I had read this post last week. I just bought a 12v lunchbox oven & a 12v water heater at a truck stop last weekend. A few truckers told me that they really like the lunchbox oven & the water heater was pretty good to.

KkJ, the lunch box ovens aren't bad and if the water heater is similar to the one I mentioned, that's not a bad purchase...just be aware that they draw a lotta juice and use them accodingly.....
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby SteveH » Fri May 25, 2007 9:16 am

The thing is, with electrical power, no matter what the voltage, it's all about power, or watts. If a 120 AC appliance is a 900 watt devise (I just checked my Mr. Coffee), it draws 7.5 amps @120 VAC. At 12 VDC, the same 900 watts will draw 75 AMPS! :shock:

Don't think you can even buy a 12 volt coffee pot that would draw that much power, and that's a good thing, but if you could, there would be no 12 volt power outlet designed to handle it. So, going the other direction, with a 12 volt power outlet designed to handle 30 amps, the max power that is available is 360 watts. Quite a bit of difference between 900 and 360, so there is the performance difference.

IMHO 12 DC is appropriate for things like lighting, water pumps, and fans. Anything else just draws too much current.
Last edited by SteveH on Fri May 25, 2007 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby MOKI SEAKER » Fri May 25, 2007 9:19 am

Mad jack, I still work in the industry, in the office, and we are still sending road service trucks out to jump start trucks were the drivers left the icebox on allnight, with the truck shut off. Most of the drivers tell me that they don't do that well, and I think our shop has some in storage, for the guys that don't us them anymore. jim g :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed.. If you do read the newspaper. You are misinformed.
Mark Twain
MOKI SEAKER
The 300 Club

12 volt appliances

Postby Boom Boom » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:13 am

Ok guys it's two years since this topic was last visited. Has anything changed in the world of 12 Volt electrical appliances? :thinking:
Terry
Boom Boom
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:23 am

NOPE...still waiting for dilythium crystal powered, flobistat controlled, flux capacitors to come our way...as stated above, they all work...just not very well and they just love to eat batteries(still)..........
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby High Desert » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:44 am

madjack wrote:NOPE...still waiting for dilythium crystal powered, flobistat controlled, flux capacitors to come our way...as stated above, they all work...just not very well and they just love to eat batteries(still)..........
madjack 8)

+1...and I had to jump start a truck in our yard yesterday morning because the driver had left the fridge on since Saturday afternoon...
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

I probably knew

Postby Boom Boom » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:37 am

The answer to that question already. I was just hoping(sp?) Ohm's law or Physics rules had changed somehow in the last 2 years. :roll:
Terry
Boom Boom
Teardrop Inspector

Re: I probably knew

Postby High Desert » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:46 am

Boom Boom wrote:The answer to that question already. I was just hoping(sp?) Ohm's law or Physics rules had changed somehow in the last 2 years. :roll:
Terry
:lol: one can always hope. I'm with you, I wish some would invent some more efficient 12V stuff along this line. Guess the demand is just not there to warrant the research.
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby pete.wilson » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:45 pm

Hey

Since the 12v products are naturally battery hogs; The best bet is to use a couple of deep-cycle batteries and an inverter with enough power to run whatever 115vac appliance you want, most are about 1500-1750 watts. It's not a perfect system either but it works better than straight 12v. I use a 2200watt inverter to periodically run a 700Watt microwave and a toaster and the batteries (series 31 deep cycle) hold up well for a normal weekends periodic useage, if at a camp ground, I have an onboard battery charger that can be plugged in overnight to help recharge both batteries. I would recommend a: off/1/2/both battery switch and a high current in-line fuse.

Pete Wilson
Why hasn't anyone found a dead bigfoot? When was the last time you found a dead deer, bear, coyote, fox, squirrel, etc. that died in the woods.........Hmmm.
pete.wilson
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Camping Secrets