Wine lovers....where are you?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby apratt » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:47 pm

Nitetimes wrote:Only wine I ever cared for was T.J. Swann's or Boone's Farm. Every wine I ever tried that someone said was good tasted suspiciously like vinegar to me.
I think I tried every wine I could find in Germany and it still just don't appeal to me.
Now a bottle of Jim Beam or Crown Royal and I'm happy.
Guess my taste bud's just ain't refined enough.

I have the same problem with wine. Most of the wine I would try always left a bitter aftertaste to me. Give me Wild Turkey any day of the week I'd be happy as a lark. :lol:
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby madjack » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:54 pm

apratt wrote:
Nitetimes wrote:Only wine I ever cared for was T.J. Swann's or Boone's Farm. Every wine I ever tried that someone said was good tasted suspiciously like vinegar to me.
I think I tried every wine I could find in Germany and it still just don't appeal to me.

I have the same problem with wine. Most of the wine I would try always left a bitter aftertaste to me. Give me Wild Turkey any day of the week I'd be happy as a lark. :lol:

..amen brother A...as far as wine goes, Marlene(aka the poor girl) used to drink white zinfadels but lately has been drinking reislings...as far as brands go, I think she chooses by what bottle looks the "purtiest"...my Mom, on the other hand has been drinking boxed wine since it first hit the market...she keeps a box of both white and red in the fridge for "guests and company"...doanchano ;)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Pam Wright » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:14 pm

oh boy.... do I like wine!!! my fav is Berringer's white zin, and am looking forward to a little wine to celebrate Lynn's Nifty Fifty!!! and MadJack... tell the "poor one" I'll share some zin with her for YOUR B'day too!
Rocky Mountain TearJerkers
Director

"Be well, Be safe, Be Happy!"

Image"
Pam Wright
500 Club

Postby CPASPARKS » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:41 pm

Hey wine drinkers...check this out.

:? :? :? :?

I like wine too...maybe we could get a group teardropper discount?

http://tinyurl.com/37cqzc

Officer...you get in...I am too drunk to get out. :lol:
Kevin
CPASPARKS
The 300 Club

Postby Kankujoe » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:35 pm

wolfix wrote:
Next month I will be making my annual pilgrimage to Hermann, Missouri for their Oktoberfest with a group of my guy friends. We have camped either in Hermann or close by for more than 10 years now. Our trip always involves two days of cycling sections of the Katy Trail (2-4 hours in the mornings) followed by German food, beer &/or wine.

That sounds like a perfect trip........ What is the surface of the Katy trail like? It is a trail that I am going to ride some year.

The trail surface is packed-crushed-limestone. It rides well, just slightly slower than hard pavement. The only time I've had troubles on the Katy Trail is just after a heavy-sustained rainstorm or when the Missouri River has crested it's banks in a few spots. www.bikekatytrail.com has lots of info about the trail, trailheads & trail conditions... I've cycled all over the country & the Katy Trail is one of the best...
Joe

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-el-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby ob1canola » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:09 am

Saw a bottle of wine the other day with the name "Bored Doe"
It had a lil pic of a deer on the front. i am going to have to try it.
I am a big fan of the syrah. It's a precocious thing ..ambitious yet playful.
peppery aftertones with just a hint of altruism.
I've found it's easy to sound like a wine snob..just give the slop a few human attributes and everyone thinks your an expert..

:cheerswine: :R
ob1canola
Teardrop Advisor

Postby AmyH » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:52 pm

I am definitely a wine lover! I love good beer as well, but I tend to drink more wine than beer. I prefer reds over whites, and I tend to like pinot noirs and syrahs lately.

Oh, there is a great red that I got lately with a very fun name. It's an Australian wine (nice screw top) called "Mutt's Nuts". I understand that this is slang for "best of the breed." If you can find it, it is a nice wine for around $10.

I am planning to build a place in the galley cabinets to hold a few bottles of wine so they don't crash around or break. I would love to see if anyone has done something like this already, or if there are any good ideas for building in a wine bottle holder. I am thinking of something that can hold four bottles of wine (or so).

I have used lexan wine glasses before, and they are pretty nice for camping (light and relatively unbreakable). I would be too nervous to carry the fancy glass from home.
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby pauld3 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:17 pm

Ya'll are making me thirsty!!

Lynn
Paul & Lynn Donovan
The Toad Drop Inn
Liberal, KS
pauld3
The 300 Club

Postby caseydog » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:29 pm

If you like Crown, try Canadian Club's 12-Year-Old stuff. Nice.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:33 pm

I have some lexan wine glasses without stems that I like. Got them at Tuesday Morning.

Our last two issues have had wines in the "Tastes & Libations" department. Last issue was on Roses, and this one covers Reds for Autumn.

So, look for AmericanDriver at Borders and Barnes & Noble stores. ;) (shamless plug)

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby jeepr » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:36 pm

I will drink anything.. :lol:

I especially like small batch bourbons..

I tend to gravitate to red wines and sweeter wines.
Mike C.
jeepr
The 300 Club

Postby Rob » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:14 pm

Don't leave home without it! My favorite is anything by Swan Dive Cellars. Can only get it locally though. They only do reds, sorry to you white drinkers. The best wine is the one that is open. :D
Rob
:wine:

:peace:
Rob
500 Club

Postby lcurrie » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:26 pm

Wine,

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

I had to respond since was enjoying a glass of red when I stumbled across this thread.

In general, I love the Italian reds. I usually drink them from a small glass usually used for Mexican beers. They're like a tumbler but not as wide. I'm not sure what they're called or I'd post a link to a pic.

I recently read an article in the Austin Chronicle, the local alternative weekly, that reviewed a bunch of the new box wines out. I'm now actively sampling my way through them.

;)

I just finished up one of the boxes from Target, the merlot I think. It scored a 'will drink again' on my not-very-fancy-but-it-tells-me-what-I-want-to-know wine rating system.
lcurrie
Silver Donating Member

Postby b.bodemer » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:00 pm

:cheerswine: :lol:

Barb
:icedtea:
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MrBuzz » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:08 pm

There are always a couple of bottles in my TD. Usually a nice Chardonnay and good red either Cabernet or Shiraz. If you love good food, good wine can't be far behind!
Here's a fun label I found at a local wine shop. Bought a couple bottles but haven't tried them yet...
Cheers!!
Generic Benroy - built 2007, 4X8, 1175 HF trailer, Structoglass roof and headliner, 12v and 110v electrics with Schumacher charger.
MrBuzz
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets