cold camping in your teardrop

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby Betsey » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:46 pm

GregB wrote: Every region has their quaint little customs, but the ones from up north all seem to be about not dying of the cold.

Ah yes, but one of the best customs is taking a nice hot sauna and then jumping into a snowbank afterward....Wouldn't you agree, Heikki? :thumbsup:

Craig says that at least up here we don't die from heat stroke/exhaustion 9 months out of the year.... :lol:

Greg - in the years we lived in Utah, I must say, we didn't need to plug the car in or jump into the snow after a sauna...but watch out for those irrigation canals! They can wreak havoc on a car! :O Again, I speak from personal experience... :yes:

Betsey 8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:19 am

Winter camping in Indiana. The low tonight is predicted to be 1F by morning.

Thankfully my teardrop is put away for the winter. I did however stay overnight (in a motel) so I could be there and share some of the "Shiveree" with the brave campers.

Yep, it was cold!! About 16 degrees and dropping when I left for home ay 3:30pm. It's supposed to drop overnight to negative numbers with the chill factor.

I was sure glad to get in my car and turn up the heat. :shock: As I left, there are (4) brave campers huddled around the fire alongside the EZ up (with sides) but it still was cold on the extremeties.
There was a steady 10-15mph wind which was biting cold.
A big pot of chili was over the fire which gave them something to while away the mid day hours. The coffee pot was working O.T. and everyone was checking out their heaters for the overnight slumber party.

A huge pile of fire wood was stacked near the fire ring and look to be enough for the aftenoon and evening. Hopefully there will be some left for morning.
I get the feeling that shortly after breakfast the camps will be packed up and put in the cars.

I called one of the cell phone numbers about 7:00pm but there was no answer. :oops: :o
This makes me wonder if they're really OK. I'm sure they are but the phone might be of (or frozen) :thinking:

I'll call them tomorrow to check again. :thumbsup:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby prohandyman » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:04 pm

Kurt I saw the missed call, but didn't realize it was you. We faired well, except for Bob and Vicki, but you already know their story.
Miriam
There was a mix of clothing and footwear. I personally kept adding more layers, which eventually included insulated coveralls, more wool socks, changing from leather boots to rubber boots with liners, additional head gear,etc. But some were just in pants and sweaters and jackets. I used to be that hardy! But some "apple pie" (secret recipe) from Rap helped warm the insides. The fire was warm, but the wind was tough, so we stayed behind the sides of an easy-up that was close to the fire to block the wind. But after some warm campfire camaraderie, it was nice to retire to a warm camper. We woke up to -1 degrees, stoked the fire, and had to thaw eggs and sausage that darn near froze- in the cooler. All in all it was very great time. No one had frostbite or hyperthermia. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby PresTx82 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:32 pm

The block heater brings back memories. I grew up on the Northern Border in Minnesota myself and when I left home I moved to Maryland. In Maryland, my friends would see the electrical plug sticking out of my grill (as the earlier poster stated) and say, "what do you have an electric car?" and start laughing. They didn't know any better. Ignorance is bliss I guess!
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:30 pm

8) Happy to here you guys survived. :lol: I am wondering why someone doesn't build a fold down clubhouse to take to gatherings. Maybe a couple to hook together. 8)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Bigwoods » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:31 am

I find I don't have to plug mine in anymore and I drive 10 year old cars with lot of miles. I make sure I have a good battery and 5w-40 oil. Started this AM at -24°

I think since ethanol is mandatory in this state it helps a lot and has eliminated gas line freeze. That is the pits.

Once I had to make a rush to the airport to pick up donated corneas and on the way back to the hospital my pick up gas line froze up. So there I am, trying to hitch a ride with this styrofoam box if eye parts tucked under my coat. Turned out well. I got a ride to the hospital and while I was helping in surgery, the Good Samaritan thawed my gas line and brought my truck to the Hospital.

Now I have learned never to drive with less than a 1/4 tank of gas. Ethanol does help that problem.
Greg in Northern Minnesota

Bigwoods
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:40 am

Mary K wrote:
Betsey wrote:clip clip

"I forgot to plug the car in last night"

Betsey 8)

Plug your car into what??? :scratchthinking: Is it rechargeable?

Mk

Plug your car into what ?

Don't ya just hate Floridian humor !!!
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby wax » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:55 am

Catoosa Grani wrote:one year it got really cold and the ocean along the beach was frozen. That was a shock.

youre kidding me... in TEXAS?
wax
Teardrop Inspector

Postby coreyjhen » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:53 am

GregB wrote:Don't feel bad Mary. That isn't something that you are supposed to know about when you come from south of the Mason-Dixon line. Every region has their quaint little customs, but the ones from up north all seem to be about not dying of the cold. Them's hardy folk up there.

When I decided to move out of the Frozen Tundra called Duluth I drove south until someone asked why I had an electrical plug hanging out of my grill. That was when I knew it was safe to put down roots.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
coreyjhen
Teardrop Master

Postby ha » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:09 pm

We judge the coming of spring up here when it starts getting warm enough that we DONT have to plug the car in every night, thats always a good time of year! The combination of warming weather and increasing daylight really does wonders after so many months of cabin fever.
ha
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets