Coalman Coffee Maker and some ideas

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Re: Coalman Coffee Maker and some ideas

Postby Joanne » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:59 pm

ijason wrote:hello since i will be doing some camping i want to buy some gear. i am thinking of buying the Coleman 2 burner propane stove and also getting the grill. but i saw the coffee maker that i relay like. has anyone used it with there stove and had any problems. also i was looking at getting a ezup can someone tell me how much it weighs i am trying to keep my towing rate down as much as posable without sacrificing on luxury . i will also buy a table to cook and wash dishes on.

for the cooler i was thinking of buying a big cooler and putting 2 small cooler inside with ice in the big cool all around the 2 small coolers one for drinks and one for food in the small cooler i will use frozen 1 gal jugs of water. dose this sound like a good idea

thanks
Jason

Jason,

You've already received some good info and I'll throw in a few ideas of my own. I do like Ez-up shades so long as they are properly tied down. If not, they are a big kite in wind. To me the real down side to the EZ-up shades is that they are a bear for one person to put up. If you are camping solo, and the dogs refuse to help you put it up, it can be a real challenge for one person. I can put up mine but it's no fun.

If you are like most of us you will buy a bunch of equipment that seems really great at the time, but after a couple of trips ends up in a garage corner somewhere. I would suggest buying your equipment over the course of a number of camping trips. Buy the basics then see what you are really lacking after a couple of trips. I drag along WAYYYY too much stuff because I might need it.

When it comes to camp cooking equipment, consider going to a thrift store and picking up some used pots, pans & cooking utensils. Again, see what you use and dump the rest. They didn't cost much to begin with so you won't care much if you donate them back to a thrift shop.

Oh yeah, Cast Iron!! You need cast iron. It doesn't weigh as much as you think it might and you can never have too much! :roll: Never mind, we'll let you get camping some more then we'll "hook" you. :lol:

Joanne[/i]
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Re: Coalman Coffee Maker and some ideas

Postby ijason » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:07 pm

Joanne wrote:
ijason wrote:hello since i will be doing some camping i want to buy some gear. i am thinking of buying the Coleman 2 burner propane stove and also getting the grill. but i saw the coffee maker that i relay like. has anyone used it with there stove and had any problems. also i was looking at getting a ezup can someone tell me how much it weighs i am trying to keep my towing rate down as much as posable without sacrificing on luxury . i will also buy a table to cook and wash dishes on.

for the cooler i was thinking of buying a big cooler and putting 2 small cooler inside with ice in the big cool all around the 2 small coolers one for drinks and one for food in the small cooler i will use frozen 1 gal jugs of water. dose this sound like a good idea

thanks
Jason

Jason,

You've already received some good info and I'll throw in a few ideas of my own. I do like Ez-up shades so long as they are properly tied down. If not, they are a big kite in wind. To me the real down side to the EZ-up shades is that they are a bear for one person to put up. If you are camping solo, and the dogs refuse to help you put it up, it can be a real challenge for one person. I can put up mine but it's no fun.

If you are like most of us you will buy a bunch of equipment that seems really great at the time, but after a couple of trips ends up in a garage corner somewhere. I would suggest buying your equipment over the course of a number of camping trips. Buy the basics then see what you are really lacking after a couple of trips. I drag along WAYYYY too much stuff because I might need it.

When it comes to camp cooking equipment, consider going to a thrift store and picking up some used pots, pans & cooking utensils. Again, see what you use and dump the rest. They didn't cost much to begin with so you won't care much if you donate them back to a thrift shop.

Oh yeah, Cast Iron!! You need cast iron. It doesn't weigh as much as you think it might and you can never have too much! :roll: Never mind, we'll let you get camping some more then we'll "hook" you. :lol:

Joanne[/i]

thanks joanne i have a few cast iron pans but never used them i saw them at a tag sale and thought they would be good for show. can you tell me why cast iron is so good for camping.

Jason
ijason
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:07 am

(Dean filling in for Joanne)
Simple... Cast Iron is very forgiving with heat, It's very difficult to burn something with it and a camp style dutch oven allows one to fry, roast and bake, so it's very versatile too.
Everyone know that good eats in the outdoors is better than a 5 star restaurant indoors and cast iron makes that possible. :thumbsup:

You can even make ice cream in a dutch oven too. :twisted:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby mandy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:31 am

Hey Jason,
I only drink coffee once in a while. But when I do I'm not picky give me some of the old Folgers in a stove top perculator. Yum just like grandma made, well sort of she made coffee that made expresso and turkish coffee look tame.

:lol: :lol:

By the way are you buying a grill and a stove? If you want a grill get a small portable propane grill which is about $25.00 , instead of the Colman grill, those are way too expensive about $49.00.

Have fun
Mandy
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:09 am

Now if you're REALLY into coffee... There's always Kopi Luwak. :R
Aint that right Mandy?... :lol:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby mandy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:35 am

Yea hand picked by Juan Valdez....Ewewww.... :o :lol:

Mandy
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby brettweir » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:56 pm

I have to disagree with some of the others. I have the coleman coffee maker that you refered to. I love it. I have had it for years now (since I first saw one) It has never let me down. I did add one of those reusable screen filters so I don't need to deal with paper filters. I keep mine in the orig box and that fits in a small rubbermaid tub. if at walmart hit camping section grab coffee maker then storage section find right sized tote. This is my most important piece of equiptment for camping. :thumbsup:
brettweir
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jeep_bluetj » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:24 pm

I, too, have the coleman coffee maker. I also have a french press and a percolator.

If there's more than 4 folks, I'll use the coleman. It's faster and makes more coffe.

Me and wife? Perk. The coffee is better. Takes longer on my stove.

Me? French press. Because the coffee tastes so dang good.
-- Jeff --
jeep_bluetj
Teardrop Master

Postby james tillitt » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:20 pm

If you decide to go the coffee press route I highly recommend the AEROPRESS. It makes the coffee slightly different than a standard french press (which I also have) and is WAY easy to clean up. It also makes the coffee faster than a standard french press. I use mine all the time to make espresso mochas.

All this talk about them and now I'm gotta go make a mocha now. :coffee:
james tillitt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby brettweir » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:56 pm

I also got one of these for Xmas.
http://www.espressoplanet.com/bialetti_ ... _maker.htm
It works great. Just enough for me. perfect latte every time.
brettweir
Teardrop Advisor

Postby excalibur5 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:19 pm

I can heartily recommend the Aerobie Aeropress as well. Makes superb coffee and various espresso drinks. Also will brew loose-leaf tea, if you want (although this took a bit of fiddling). Best part of all, for a camper, it is made of lexan, so it will not break if dropped.

It does make the best coffee I have ever tasted. :R

And, only $26 with free shipping from Amazon.com
excalibur5
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dean_A » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:45 pm

Maybe it's just me, but ANY kind of coffee made at a campsite always tastes 10X better than the best coffee at home or at your local coffee joint. With that said, I use a percolator, handed down from my Grandma.
Dean_A
Gold Donating Member

I drink tea

Postby eamarquardt » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:23 am

I drink tea. Boil water, put in tea bag, drink.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Platbiker » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:43 pm

I have made coffee every possible way including those mentioned above- both camping, and at home, and I prefer a french press/insulated mug combo(plastic or stainless, not glass for durability...)
like this:
http://home.amazon.com/tag/travel%20cup ... tags=bodum
the only two less annoying methods I know of are
Turkish coffee(mix powder fine coffee with boiling water in a cup)
Cowboy coffee( boil grounds in a pot of water)
Both have the distinct drawback of hours of grit in the mouth

get a press...good coffee- in a manageable amount - no grit...best of all solutions IMHO....
Platbiker
Teardrop Builder

Postby Tripmaker » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:31 am

For coffee I use one of these Melita coffee cones. http://www.amazon.com/Manual-Drip-Coffe ... _sim_gro_2

A #6 makes 12 cups of coffee brewed directly into a thermos. All you need to do is boil water and pour.
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets