Coalman Coffee Maker and some ideas

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Coalman Coffee Maker and some ideas

Postby ijason » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:09 pm

hello since i will be doing some camping i want to buy some gear. i am thinking of buying the Coleman 2 burner propane stove and also getting the grill. but i saw the coffee maker that i relay like. has anyone used it with there stove and had any problems. also i was looking at getting a ezup can someone tell me how much it weighs i am trying to keep my towing rate down as much as posable without sacrificing on luxury . i will also buy a table to cook and wash dishes on.

for the cooler i was thinking of buying a big cooler and putting 2 small cooler inside with ice in the big cool all around the 2 small coolers one for drinks and one for food in the small cooler i will use frozen 1 gal jugs of water. dose this sound like a good idea

thanks
Jason
ijason
Teardrop Builder

Postby hiker chick » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:58 am

I have one of those Coleman coffee makers that sits on the stove.

Waste of money. Waste of space.

Strongly recommend using a simple java press. Better coffee, less mess, less money, much less space. Here's one I use for camping and at home. It's an insulated mug which is helpful on a cold morning. Add hot water to a tablespoon of coffee and 3 minutes later you're good to go.

ll bean clicky

I very, very strongly recommend this "Adjustable Grill Basket" (which Cabela's happens to have on sale fo $9.99). We cook steaks, fish, burgers, hot dogs and veggies in these over the campfire. I have two of these baskets -- plenty for feeding 3 or 4 people. One would handle two peops.

cabela's clicky

For all kinds of gear recommendations, I highly recommend perusing this thread below which has been running on the Honda Element forum for over a year. From headlamps to coffee to screenrooms, it's all discussed (replete with photos) by some very experienced campers:

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums ... 95&page=80

There is a lot of gear out there (and I have most of it, it seems) and you can spend a fortune. But you don't need to. My favorite gear sources (especially when they are having a sale, which is often). They'll soon be shipping their spring camping catalogues so you should sign up for those.

www.llbean.com
www.rei.com
www.cabelas.com
www.campmor.com

Good luck!

:)[/b]

[url]Image
[/url]Image
Last edited by hiker chick on Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hiker chick » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:08 am

Furthermore:

table: If you're camping at campgrounds, a picnic table will be provided. Use that for meal prep. Get a cheap wipe-off tablecloth (it's just you, one other person + two dogs, right?)

cooler: You'll lose a lot of cooler space if you're putting coolers inside of coolers. My advice is to not over-complicate, simply use, if you're camping for several days: one cooler for beverages and one separate cooler for food. For just a weekend or long weekend (depending on temps and availability of ice), I'd just use one cooler and pack it strategically (double-bag meats, put at the bottom of the cooler because cold air falls).

I freeze water and iced tea in Nalgene water bottles and position those at the top.

One of my first purchases, fifteen years ago, was a 2-burner "electronic ignition" Coleman propane stove. Still going strong and now I'm sentimental about it. A good value. In my case, it's been a great value.

ez-up: Contrary to many on this forum, I am not a fan of EZ-UPs. There are many screenrooms to choose from that are pretty easy to set-up and that are far more storm-worthy. A sturdy screenroom can make all the difference in your camping comfort during inclement weather.

I'm partial to the Eureka Northern Breeze. It's $300, or more, but I wouldn't camp without it.

Happy shopping.[/b]
Last edited by hiker chick on Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hiker chick » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:36 am

You didn't mention this, but for washing dishes nothing beats a simple Rubbermaid tub. It doubles for packing stuff, too.

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:50 am

Back to coffee makers

I picked up a little guy similar to this one at (Yeah Goodwill again) $3.00

Mines a 2 cupper makes great coffee and guaranteed fresh every 3 rd cup :lol:

Small and easy to pack about as big around as a baseball and less than 8" tall. Works on the campfire coals or your cook top.Image
Last edited by bobhenry on Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby raprap » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:18 am

I perc coffee, so my recommendation for coffee is a 8 cup stove top perc coffee pot with a clear bubble (to gauge strength) and a good thermos bottle to keep the excess warm. With my Stanley bottle I find that I can keep coffee warm for 24 hours. I also recommend a stainless steel coffee pot over the aluminum or porcelain coated steel ones. And if you get a 12 cup pot, you'll generally need two thermos bottles. If you're a scroung, you can find coffee pots at yard sales and flea markets.

BTW thermos is not a brand name---Thermos and Stanley are.

Rap
Kentucky Pool Made a Fool out of me.
Instead of Tennessee River it looks like I'm headed to the deep blue sea.

JHartford
raprap
Teardrop Master

Postby ijason » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:58 am

thank you all for the tips when i go camping it will be me and a friend with 2 dogs when we camp we go for at least 3 to 5 days. also i liked the ez up because it was fast to set up and i dont want to sped $300 on a screened in tent that take time to setup and take down. the ezup just spreads open and i think you can stake it down. i like that.

thank you all
Jason
ijason
Teardrop Builder

Postby Unkl Ron » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:13 pm

Check out the Paja Que Web site.
http://www.pahaque.com/

I use a Paha Que Cottonwood 12 ft. x 12 ft. Shade Shelter. It's a lot lighter (weight wise) than an EZ UP. Also easier to put up (if you're by yourself), than an EZ UP. It can be staked down (has built in cinch ties) and mine has survived, unscathed, in 45-50 mph winds w/no damage.
Unkl Ron
Teardrop Advisor

Postby oklahomajewel » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:51 pm

Jason,
Before spending too too much money , go camping a time or two and see what you can carry in the galley of the TD , and what you really need and don't need.

Good idea too would be to go camping once with some other teardroppers and get ideas.. what they use if washing dishes, etc.
Yes, those Rubbermaid dishpans are inexpensive, less than $2.
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby 48Rob » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:54 pm

Miss Julie said;

Jason,
Before spending too too much money , go camping a time or two and see what you can carry in the galley of the TD , and what you really need and don't need.

Very smart woman! :thumbsup:

It really is good advice, and will save you a lot of money.
After just a couple camping trips, you can buy really good things that you need, instead of having a bunch of stuff you never use taking up space.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby ijason » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:45 pm

i go camping every year with my honda civic i know i love camping the problem is that i have to keep eating out at restaurants and buy drunken donuts coffee every morning. so this is why i am getting the trailer so i can take a stove prepare my meals in advance bring snacks and make my own coffee. so everything i want i will use.

so far i am buying the Coleman grill and a 2 burner stove with coffee maker and i am buying a cooler and a rubbermaid dish washing pan and a slim 5 gl water jung to keep at my site for washing dishes.

i have my own berky water filter that takes out fluoride and all heavy metals , chlorine other stuff it's a real good one. so i use that water for cooking and drinking.

other then that id like to get some type of cover like ezup so if it rains i can still sit outside play cards snack or what ever.

i am also getting a power inverter for my small radio and 2 way radios so i can keep them charged. as for lighting i have 2 new dietz oil lamps so all i carry is a bottle of lamp oil and it smells nice.

Jason
Last edited by ijason on Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ijason
Teardrop Builder

Postby WarPony » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:37 pm

ijason wrote:...bring snakes and make my own coffee...

Jason, you BRING snakes........ with you............. when you camp???? Whew, I've never seen snakes drink coffee before :lol: :lol:

Just bustin' on you, dude........

Jeff
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby ijason » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:12 pm

WarPony wrote:
ijason wrote:...bring snakes and make my own coffee...

Jason, you BRING snakes........ with you............. when you camp???? Whew, I've never seen snakes drink coffee before :lol: :lol:

Just bustin' on you, dude........

Jeff

dam spell checkers :x
ijason
Teardrop Builder

Postby dreadcptflint » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:46 pm

If you want to do it on the cheap and light then hit up the garage sales for your Coleman stove and get a old fashioned percolator for coffee (I got an old enamaled one for under $10 and my stove for under $5).

I and don't know what to think about Dunkin Donuts for breakfast when camping since when I go camping the nearest store is usually at least an hour a way.

:thinking:
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:50 pm

Jason,
I'm with Hiker Chick on the coffee deal...
Get yourself a press.
You control the brew by how coarse or how fine you grind the beans.
I like to grind to the consistancy of dust...
It leaves a nice layer of mud at the bottom of the cup.
A gauaranteed way to finish a cup with a bang!!! :thumbsup:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Next

Return to Camping Secrets