Garmin GPS units

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:20 am

Rich,
Now I understand why you took the road you did to get to the IRG. :lol:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby doug hodder » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:25 am

Dean...Danny had an issue with his also....it had him go on "Snows road"....well, lets just say that Danny was less than enthusiastic with his GPS after that trip. Similar to what Rich encountered. Sorry Danny....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:31 am

Is that the frontage road that meanders along highway 50 from the bottom of the hill that you told me not to take?
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Nitetimes » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:34 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Rich,
Now I understand why you took the road you did to get to the IRG. :lol:

I guess after you pi$$ her off too many times she sends you down some squirrely a$$ road just to get back at you!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:59 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Is that the frontage road that meanders along highway 50 from the bottom of the hill that you told me not to take?

nope...it's a supposed "short cut" from the south along hwy 49.....totally trashed road and some incredible switch backs and probably 15% + easily grades....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:09 am

Whoops... I meant 49, I think.
Is it 50 or 49 that goes right past your place?
(Halfheimer moment)
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby doug hodder » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:22 am

50....even numbers run E/W...odds run N/S...overall, but I'm sure someone will prove me wrong on that....but for the roads I know that's how they run..... Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:34 am

:?
49 heads out at Redding.
Used it several times last week to hit In-N-Out and to get yarn for Kev's mom at Walmart. :? :?
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby dmb90260 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:43 am

CAJUN LADY wrote:that little lady in there got annoyed with me. She has a bit of an attitude when she has to "Recalculate...Recalculate". :lol:

A friend of mine has Garim that she uses for her mobile dog grooming work. Maybe it is a dog thing but she refers to it as 'the bitch in the box"
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:57 am

Nitetimes wrote:
CAJUN LADY wrote:I have a Garmin Nuvi 650 and I really like it. I bought it off Ebay about 5 months ago and have already had to buy the updated maps 2009. It has tried to take me the long route before but I went the normal route and that little lady in there got annoyed with me. She has a bit of an attitude when she has to "Recalculate...Recalculate". :lol:

Must be the same women they stuffed in mine....she really has a problem with that. I get her POed at me all the time! :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: Glad I'm not the only one who gets her mad.

"Dennis said":
A friend of mine has Garim that she uses for her mobile dog grooming work. Maybe it is a dog thing but she refers to it as 'the bitch in the box"

Dennis, my husband named her "Miss Pis*y". Poor thing...probably a really nice android in person.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Kevin A » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:48 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote::?
49 heads out at Redding.
Used it several times last week to hit In-N-Out and to get yarn for Kev's mom at Walmart. :? :?

Dean,

Here's the yarn you picked up at walmart.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:01 am

Wow... She is fast with them needles! :shock:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Kevin A » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:34 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Wow... She is fast with them needles! :shock:

Yep, that one goes on e-bay this coming sunday. She's already started another one.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby annalbs » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:41 am

i have a garmin nuvi 370 i purchased Dec 06 that has worked pretty well. I haven't updated the maps yet and desperately need to b/c i've gone to places that no longer exist but show up in the GPS. most of the time its pretty good about getting me where i need to go but I've had problems with the NUVI (as we affectionately call it) getting us lost by bringing us to the wrong place or it will bring us to the wrong street number but right street. :? that's aggravating. eddie HATES the thing cause it has started giving weird directions. instead of taking interstates or major hwys it will take u through towns and backroads and we have it on fastest directions not shortest. Plus sometimes eddie thinks he knows a better way and will take it but when the NUVI starts all the Recalculating eddie gets mad and will start following NUVI's directions which usually makes us double back on ourselves which then makes him madder. its a vicious cycle. i tell him he either needs to follow NUVI's directions or his own but he can't do both. :roll: it can be really uncomfortable riding in the car with both eddie and NUVI. :x :oops: recently (on our KY trip) i had problems with it not turning on when connected to the car charger but after resetting it a couple of times it resolved the problem.
annalbs
Teardrop Master

Postby pete.wilson » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:00 am

Hey

Sorry for taking so long to get back on here. For those that have issues with maps or the unit wollowing nearby roads. All GPS makers use a couple of map makers maps; Garmin used to use Teleatlas from Denmark until TomTom bought them (they also used them before buying them) and we we are using some from Nokia (the largest and probably the most up-to-date maps). However with that said the GPS which uses satelites for present position, relies on the maps for drivability. if they are in error then your GPS may be in error or have you following a nearby street in error. This happens with all of them, this is why it is recommneded that if you find a map problem to notify Garmin's Cartography group and report it. There also has been some problem with an IC chip called a SIRF chip and this has caused a number of issues of sending people on nearby but wrong roads; if you suspect this problem and you have the current map loaded then call Garmin and they will have you send your unit in for repair, to which they should repair or exchange. The main Garmin front desk can be reached at 913-397-8200 and she can get you where you need to get. If your having any problems I would call that number.

Pete Wilson
Why hasn't anyone found a dead bigfoot? When was the last time you found a dead deer, bear, coyote, fox, squirrel, etc. that died in the woods.........Hmmm.
pete.wilson
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets