Easy, offbeat fire starters

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby Mightydog » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:31 pm

Our daughter gave us a fire starter gift basket for christmas this year. It has fatwood, paraffin pine cones and the whole thing can be used to start fires over the summer while we're camping. Smart kid, I say.
Mightydog
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Geron » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:19 am

I haven't re-read this whole thread so this may have already been mentioned.
But, I've discovered that fire steels are very reliable to ignite your fire starters. Check out
http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/the-best-fire-starter-ever-invented/

Works when wet and always available (pack several in different places in car/pocket/TD) even if matches are forgotten or wet.
Cotton balls with Triple Anti B or Polysporin (mostly Petroleum Jelly) also ignite very easily and serve a dual purpose :thumbsup:

A PJ Ball placed on an egg carton/sawdust/paraffin section and a fire steel is almost a sure fire fire starter for sure :thumbsup:
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Prem » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:49 am

Wood, a little bottle of Orange oil from The Dollar Store and a lit wooden match: Voila! :campfire:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Fire Starter from Dinner

Postby Eric Krag » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:50 pm

We cook tacos! after frying the tortillas in oil, dry them in p-towels, bag the towels and use them to light up for days....

I am a charcoal user....Got the Verde? EK
Eric Krag
Teardrop Inspector

Postby lazerus » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:22 pm

I've been a scout leader for 20ish years and the one I make with my scouts is a boot polish or tuna can, cut strips of cardboard the hight of the can. Wined the cardboard into the can then fill with parafin. The truth is anything absorbent and flamable will work for filler but cardbord makes for longer quiet time 8)

I however haven't used that method outside of a demonstration in years lol.
I simply use a coke can full of gas. :twisted:

Not as bad as your probably thinking. It can be adjusted based on how wet the wood is. If your dealing with wet wood or other obstacles use a tall can if it's going to be an easy light make it short.
Cut the top off the can (making it as tall as you think your going to need)
Clear a can sized spot in the center of your fire pit.
Carefully fill the can with gas, no more than 1/2" no less than 2" from the top. Any form of gas will work, including white gas, diesel or kerosene.
Place can in center careful not to spill.
Build fire around can as you would paper or other starter. Placing a few small pieces down into can. Pick one stick long enough to reach from outside the wood pile to the can. Dip this in the gas, light and place back into can. The can will light gently and burn with a 6-8" flame. If it's a hot day you have to work kinda quickly after the gas is in the can. Try for under 5 min from pour to light. I tend to get everything ready, pour the gas and build it right away. If you wait too long the only bad thing is a small Woof! when you light it. After 20 min it's enough to startle but I've never had it burn hairs on my hand or anything.
A full coke can will burn for 25-30 min or until the fire gets too hot. Once the fire gets hot enough to boil the gas it burns the rest off in about 2 min regardless of how much is left. However it still won't make any kind of fireball.

I've been using this method for over 25 years (10-20 times a year) and it never ceases to amaze me how scared everyone gets when they see me about to light a fire with gas.. then after the anti-climax I get lots of "That's All?!? Where's the fire ball?":shock:

The method has one small point of danger and I do keep kids away until the gas has burned off. If something causes the can to tip over in the middle of the fire you will get a cool fireball :lol: (about 3 times in my life)
lazerus
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TimJones » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:48 pm

Here's your sign!!!
Tim and Judy
------------------------
TimJones
Teardrop Master

Thanks

Postby doitright » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:33 pm

Geron wrote:I haven't re-read this whole thread so this may have already been mentioned.
But, I've discovered that fire steels are very reliable to ignite your fire starters. Check out
http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/the-best-fire-starter-ever-invented/

Works when wet and always available (pack several in different places in car/pocket/TD) even if matches are forgotten or wet.
Cotton balls with Triple Anti B or Polysporin (mostly Petroleum Jelly) also ignite very easily and serve a dual purpose :thumbsup:

A PJ Ball placed on an egg carton/sawdust/paraffin section and a fire steel is almost a sure fire fire starter for sure :thumbsup:

Hey thanks for the site lots of good reading and information. I will have to get one of the fire steels.
doitright
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:22 pm

lazerus wrote:I've been using this method for over 25 years (10-20 times a year) and it never ceases to amaze me how scared everyone gets when they see me about to light a fire with gas.. then after the anti-climax I get lots of "That's All?!? Where's the fire ball?":shock:

Add gas to burning fire via tossing under handed from pop can. There is your fire ball.

:tipsy: :awesome: :scratchthinking:

I have used road flairs in the past, if you can find them these days. Light the flair, place in fire pit, pile on wood. Once i use a paper egg carton and put a charcoal bricket in each compartment and poured in some wax, worked pretty good.
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon May 10, 2010 10:20 pm

Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Tue May 11, 2010 7:36 am

Wolffarmer wrote:I was browsing the web today and found this.

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/National_Geographic_Magazine/Volume_31/Number_6/The_Conversion_of_Old_Newspapers_and_Candle_Ends_Into_Fuel

A bit of history

:thumbsup: :applause: I have lots of newspapers and old candles...
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby dh » Wed May 19, 2010 9:14 pm

One I like is really simple, environmentally friendly, and free.

When I clean up paint brushes I keep the mineral spirits instead of "Disposing" of it. Mineral spirits is a flamable liquid, and much safer than gas. This otherwise "waste" material then gets mixed with saw dust that would have otherwise gone to the land fill.

I put it in the little zipper bags, and it is ready to go. Just light the entire bag.
Ignorant doesn't know any better, Stupid knows better but does it anyway.

My build page: http://www.tdbuildlog.blogspot.com/
dh
Gold Donating Member

Postby legojenn » Wed May 19, 2010 9:39 pm

I had a crazy uncle who liked starting fires with a molotov cocktail. I'll stick with mojitos, and maybe a mudslide or two.
Jenn
legojenn
The 300 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed May 19, 2010 10:11 pm

legojenn wrote:I had a crazy uncle who liked starting fires with a molotov cocktail. I'll stick with mojitos, and maybe a mudslide or two.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I like your Uncle. Does he still have his eyebrows and all fingers?

:roll:
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby sushidog » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:56 pm

legojenn wrote:I had a crazy uncle who liked starting fires with a molotov cocktail. I'll stick with mojitos, and maybe a mudslide or two.

I don't blame your uncle, as I could never get used to the taste of that particular cocktail either. I usually dump mine in the fire when no one is looking too. :?

The last time I was out, I had to run from my camper's stove to the wood pile, lit cardboard paper towel tube in hand, like an Olympic torch bearer. (My striker got wet and I couldn't get it lit.) The wood was wet with a couple squirts of charcoal lighter - like a pump shotgun, simple yet effective.

Chip
sushidog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Prem » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:03 am

If yer gunna play wit fire, dis be da safe way ta lite da campfire:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexamine_fuel_tablet

8)
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets