Where does everything fit in a TD?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby dmb90260 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:17 am

Remember that you are just hauling around what is basically an empty box. FILL IT UP..

And yes, that is a satellite dish. I need my weekend soccer games from
England. It now lives in the bigger trailer too. :lol:
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby TheBizMan » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:41 am

When my TD was built, the back end was squared off and a 14" wide storage compartment was put in between the cabin and the galley. I put all of my gear in there and don't have to unload at home every time.

Lee - TheBizMan sez
Teardrops make for happy camping
ImageImage
TheBizMan
Gold Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:05 pm

These have been a big help to me when camping. I keep one loaded with propane bottles, bbq grill, wisk broom, etc. and the other one is for food items. The both have wheels for easier pulling. They also lock so our furry faced thieving bandits can't sneek in it while I snore....I mean sleep.
Last edited by CAJUN LADY on Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Arne » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:23 pm

just to keep things slightly neat, I have a rectangular tub about 20" x 36" that goes in the back of the van (came with a top that has long since been lost). Typical plastic thing bought at walmart long ago.

It holds screen house, shower tent, pett toilet, extra shoes (which go in walmart bags to keep things clean) It has wheels on it also. beside that goes the cooler, transparent clothes boxes (those things with the top with 2 halves), water jugs.

I like the transparent boxes because I can see where my socks are without digging around.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby vrooom3440 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:41 pm

One design feature I have considered to help this problem is the "basement". Drop a storage locker underneath the TD with doors/floor that pull up for access. Would require a folding bed, but I am guessing that most TD beds are of a folding/wadding variety. This is where I figure to place my 12" DOs, gotta keep the heavy items low for best handling ya know 8)

I have also seen some creative use of under-space for batteries and water tanks on TDs here in the forum.
vrooom3440
Teardrop Builder

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:24 pm

We have a truck and take way too much. However Julie taks as much as we do in her Honda. :shock: It takes some planning. You know what you really need after a few trips. If you don't use it camping with a tent you won't need it now.

If the bed is made you won't need to store a sleeping bag
Clothes in a plastic box or cabinet. (ours are under the bed)
I have two small folding aluminum tables that really do most of what I need.
Cooler does double duty as a prep surface too.
Bigggggg loungers go in the truck or the TD.

Hey pile everything up in a pile and see if it is the size of a TD. Pare it down if needed. 8)

Kitchen is in plastic containers and I take everything I need to fix whatever meals I plan.

Food in coolers. We take ice in one, cold food in one and dry in a plastic box or on the shelves.

The galley gallery will help some
http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q120 ... 20Gallery/
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby b.bodemer » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:01 pm

I have a F150 and a 5 x 8.

It depends on the trip as to how I will load the truck and if I need to sleep in the tear as I'm traveling.

My battery and inverter were an afterthought but I have a sweet set up in the truck's bed for that. Cooler is for sure in the truck. And there's always room for the kayaks and shelter stuff on top of the truck. Kinda looks like the picture in my signature area. Sure is sweet having that truck and dropping that tailgate for extra room.

barb
Last edited by b.bodemer on Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gaston » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:45 pm

when we traveling it is a 5x10 two door cargo trailer. when we get where we are going it is camping trailer with a big pile of "stuff" next to it. :thumbsup:
The difficult we do now... the impossible takes a little longer
Gaston
Donating Member

Postby TinKicker » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:39 am

Becca, where did you get those black footlocker-looking totes? Look almost military.
When Terra and the kids and I tent camped, we owned a '97 Dodge Caravan which was GREAT. The floor inside without the two back bench seats was perfect for a fullsize mattress. Two sliding doors, pop-out windows. Good camper-that-was-not-a-camper. Really, it was like a motorized teardrop! :)
Now we'll be towing with a Tacoma, so cargo area isn't a problem, but everybody wants to be able to say they're totally self-contained with their tear. Problem is, it probably ain't gonna' happen. Like everyone has said, fill 'er up and sort out the overflow. In a trip or three you'll have it pared down to the practicalities.
Heck, that's part of the fun. :thumbsup:
I've been doodling with a 5'x12' design...can anyone say "excess"? :lol:
Kelsey
TinKicker
Teardrop Master

Postby CAJUN LADY » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:52 am

TinKicker wrote:Becca, where did you get those black footlocker-looking totes? Look almost military.
When Terra and the kids and I tent camped, we owned a '97 Dodge Caravan which was GREAT. The floor inside without the two back bench seats was perfect for a fullsize mattress. Two sliding doors, pop-out windows. Good camper-that-was-not-a-camper. Really, it was like a motorized teardrop! :)
Now we'll be towing with a Tacoma, so cargo area isn't a problem, but everybody wants to be able to say they're totally self-contained with their tear. Problem is, it probably ain't gonna' happen. Like everyone has said, fill 'er up and sort out the overflow. In a trip or three you'll have it pared down to the practicalities.
Heck, that's part of the fun. :thumbsup:
I've been doodling with a 5'x12' design...can anyone say "excess"? :lol:

Wal-Mart 2 years ago but I have seen them there since then. $17 each and well worth it. They are my camping buddies.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Arne » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:01 pm

Becca, if camping totes are your camping buddies..... you need to get a life... or at least a dog....

I used to pull over and ask strange women if they wanted to go camping.. a couple agreed, but we could not settle on a price.

Then I tried online dating.... well, you know the rest of the story....... cuddling with a plastic container at night just does not do it for me... :}
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby CAJUN LADY » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:43 pm

Arne, my friend, you are so right. But, I do have a dog and she is never going camping with me. She is too full of life (still a puppy) and wants to be entertained too much so she stays home with her daddy. Her daddy (my hubby) won't go camping with me because he says I take too much stuff, which I do, so he entertains the puppy while I enjoy the peaceful outdoors with my "other" camping buddies of the human kind.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby TinKicker » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:50 pm

Becca, one day he'll change. My bride used to be a "Marriott Girl", as per Arne's experience. Her idea of roughing it was no microwave or refrigerator in the motel room! :lol:
She had never been camping in her life before she met me, and my tales of sleeping in foxholes in 17º weather during my pre-marriage military time chilled her more than it did me. Needless to say, my idea of a rough time in the woods was a little different from hers.
Over the years though we've learned to meet in the middle, and she actually enjoys it now because she has had a few of those "teardrop time" moments when the evening sun was just right, the breeze was just right, the fire was just right, the sounds of the woods were just right...you've been there (pause and remember it for a moment)...you get it. She got it. It's turned into a great thing to share and remember.
To get back on thread...we now work as a team...she gathers up what we're taking and tells me to get on it, and I pack it with good ol' olive drab efficiency and a brisk "Yes, ma'am!" :)
I'd just like to get my tear built so I'll have something to pack it in! :wacky
What breed is your dog? A lab? I know they can be feisty up until about a year and a half.
Kelsey
TinKicker
Teardrop Master

Postby Arne » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:19 am

TinKicker... great note about why we camp in the first place... the t/d just allows us to get out there.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby CAJUN LADY » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:12 am

TinKicker wrote:Becca, one day he'll change. My bride used to be a "Marriott Girl", as per Arne's experience. Her idea of roughing it was no microwave or refrigerator in the motel room! :lol:
She had never been camping in her life before she met me, and my tales of sleeping in foxholes in 17º weather during my pre-marriage military time chilled her more than it did me. Needless to say, my idea of a rough time in the woods was a little different from hers.
Over the years though we've learned to meet in the middle, and she actually enjoys it now because she has had a few of those "teardrop time" moments when the evening sun was just right, the breeze was just right, the fire was just right, the sounds of the woods were just right...you've been there (pause and remember it for a moment)...you get it. She got it. It's turned into a great thing to share and remember.
To get back on thread...we now work as a team...she gathers up what we're taking and tells me to get on it, and I pack it with good ol' olive drab efficiency and a brisk "Yes, ma'am!" :)
I'd just like to get my tear built so I'll have something to pack it in! :wacky
What breed is your dog? A lab? I know they can be feisty up until about a year and a half.

This is the little aggravation...Maggie Mae. I love her dearly but she is a handful and she has one of these balls in her mouth all the time. She lives to play fetch. She is 1/2 Maltese, 1/2 Havanese...full of life and full of love (but she's still not coming camping with me).

As far as the hubby ever going camping with me, I doubt that will happen. He used to camp with the boys and I when they were little but he just doesn't enjoy it like I do. He's a home body or a golfer so I just let him be and it works for us.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets