Egg Storage

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Egg Storage

Postby OkieSailor » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:21 am

Take a large mouth plastic jug with lid. Fill with fresh eggs, pour in about 1 lb of salt, fill jar to top with warm water and put on the lid. Every time you take out some eggs add water to top off jug, the trick is to keep jar full without any air pockets. The eggs will not bounce around and get broken and they will stay fresh for a long time. I talked to someone that did this a few years ago and they said the last of the eggs were still fresh three weeks later. The jug was kept in the camper not the ice chest. I plan to try it out later this summer. Try it out at home and see if it works for you.
Yes OkieSailor is an Oxymoron!!
OkieSailor
Teardrop Advisor

Postby len19070 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:43 am

I heard another one for eggs. not as lengthy as yours but, before going away dip fresh eggs in boiling water for 10 seconds. This forms a skin on the inside of the egg protecting it. put the eggs back in the carton and you can leave the carton out for up to a week. When you crack open the eggs the skin sticks to the shell and gets thrown away.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby David Grason » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:40 pm

I've always taken the eggs out of the shells altogether by cracking them into the largemouth jar. So I'd have a jar full of yokes and whites. When I wanted to cook some up, I'd just pour out however many yokes I wanted and there always seemed to be the correct amount of white to go with each yoke.
I am NOT a complete idiot! Some of the pieces are missing.
David Grason
Teardrop Master

Postby jimqpublic » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:28 pm

Eggs naturally keep for a long time at room temperature- Unless they've been washed! Some friends heading off on a sailing trip to Japan went to an egg farm to buy fresh, unwashed eggs. Just packed them in their cartons and they kept for a few weeks at sea.

Of course you could just bring a couple chickens along.
Jim
2002 Chalet Arrowhead but always wanted a Teardrop
2 kids and a Dear Wife
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimqpublic
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Postby TomS » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:30 pm

I've got one of those plastic egg carrier thingies. Works OK. I don't have a problem with broken eggs in my cooler.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:13 pm

Hey Doug,
Next time we have a potluck, (Three days and counting so far...) I'll show you the quickest way to peel a hard boiled egg.
Wanna hint?... You "blow" it. :lol:
Yeap... The Art of Egg Blowing... :lol:
Hey... When I was growing up, my buddy's dad would not refridgerate his eggs... He claimed that too much of the egg white got left behind in the shell if it was cold. He told me that he wanted to get all his money worth out of an egg... BTW- He is now a millioaire. :thinking:

WaterGlass

Postby Dee Bee » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:05 pm

My great grandmother used to keep eggs for a long time this way.

She would harvest unwashed fresh eggs. Then she would paint them with Water Glass. This was a product that used to be available. I don't know what was in it. It came as a dry powder. You mixed it with water. Then painted the eggs with the clear Water Glass product. It dried into a shinny coat almost like shelac. In this r3egard Water GLass also acted like a strong adhesive. The brush would get stiff and the bristles would bond together.

She would put the eggs in her dumb waiter ( you know what that is?) and send it to the cool basement. Her eggs always stayed fresh even without real refrigeration.

I haven't seen Water Glass around for years. The last time was in a hardware store.

http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/sci/A0851590.html

DEE BEE
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby Gage » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:20 pm

Another simple way is to take a Tupperware Rolling Pin and break a dozen eggs into it and replace the cap. Then when ever you wanted eggs for breakfast, just pour out the amount of eggs you want. And like David said you would get a yoke and about the correct amount of white. When you got tired of fried eggs, just shake well and pour. Now you have either scrambled eggs or an omelet. Learned that in my back packing days.

Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Re: WaterGlass

Postby gyroguy » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:51 am

Dee Bee wrote:My great grandmother used to keep eggs for a long time this way.

She would harvest unwashed fresh eggs. Then she would paint them with Water Glass. This was a product that used to be available. I don't know what was in it. It came as a dry powder. You mixed it with water. Then painted the eggs with the clear Water Glass product. It dried into a shinny coat almost like shelac. In this r3egard Water GLass also acted like a strong adhesive. The brush would get stiff and the bristles would bond together.

http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/sci/A0851590.html

DEE BEE

The chemical name for "Water Glass" is sodium silicate.
For build pix of Crocodile Tear, completed 10/26/06 -- Look at my album or new website <www.crocodiletear.com> (website has more info)
gyroguy
Teardrop Advisor

Egg storage

Postby rooster » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:00 pm

When I need to cook eggs, I put one or two into a ziplock bag with some salt and pepper a little butter, zip it closed and put it into a pan of boiling water. You can have them well done or runny, then open bag and slide them on your paper plate and throw the bag away. No dishes to do.

Jim, :applause:
Beware of what she wishes....especially with that twinkle in her eye and that mischievious smile....you know it's gonna cost....
rooster
Donating Member

Postby DrJerry » Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:25 am

My parents owned a restaraunt. When we went camping, we took powdered eggs. :? (Just mix with water and cook) I haven't found any suppliers lately, at least in less than 100 lb sacks.
Jerry

Watch and laugh as an Engineer with an advanced degree attempts to build a Tiny Travel Trailer:
http://www.angelfire.com/blog/weekender ... weekender/
DrJerry
Teardrop Builder

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:56 am

It's egg beaters for us now. 99% colesterol free. Comes in a quart easy pour container, just shake and pour. Sure miss those perfect, beautiful, tasty over easy fried eggs though... Always been an egg lover, maybe that's why it's time to switch to the low colesterol ones......

Steve 8)
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Re: Egg storage

Postby oklahomajewel » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:23 am

rooster wrote:When I need to cook eggs, I put one or two into a ziplock bag with some salt and pepper a little butter, zip it closed and put it into a pan of boiling water. You can have them well done or runny, then open bag and slide them on your paper plate and throw the bag away. No dishes to do.
Jim,

Jim, that's what I had someone email to me and I posted it in the recipe section and it was called RV Omelets. It said to be sure to use freezer quart bags, so they are sturdy enough to stand up to the water heat. And it's good for a big group, because everyone uses a Sharpie marker to put their name on the bag, then puts their own peppers, ham, sausage, mushrooms, whatever they choose, and then boil several bags together and WAALAH! Everyone eats at the same time.

NOW ----- What's the secret for getting a big pot of water to stay boiling for 13 minutes at a campsite????

Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Chris C » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:26 am

That's easy, Julie........................A Blowtorch!!! :laughing1:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby madjack » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:30 am

Julie, they have these modern marvels called "camp stoves" :D ;) they will boil water till the cows come home...or as long as you have fuel...amazing stuff, technology :lol:
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Next

Return to Camping Secrets