First Trip Tips for Dummies.

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby john warren » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:28 pm

as your camping, make a list of the things you wish you had with you.
when you get home take out everything you didn't use.

after a few trip this will all balance out.

this list has to fit your needs. for me , i have to have a coffee pot. i can cook in a tin can. but my wife likes pots and pans.

most important thing is to pack your sense of humor and adventure. :thumbsup:
john warren
Teardrop Master

Postby Bikerman » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:28 pm

Couldn't help it, this reminded me of my mother taking me upto Camp Ripley, Mn. from Springfield, Mo. to meet my dad during a National Guard Camp. It was in a 55 Pontiac station wagon and we had a Sears three room tent.

Not so much about what to take, as all good comments, but maybe some things you're likely not going to use, that my mother took.

Lawn rake, tree trimer shear, electric hedge clipper and manual grass clippers. She thought we might need to take care of the grass at the camp site and cut limbs to put the tent under a tree. There was bar soap, dish soap, Mr. Clean, Ajax, and furniture polish, the table at camp sites are usually not so clean. She also packed some tools, my dad's drill, jig saw, saber saw and a hand saw, but forgot the hammer! She thought something might break and we would have the tools to fix it! She also took a green garden hose and a garden spade.

Remember, we werein a tent and the camp ground had no electric or water on our site.

Maybe knowing where you are going and what's available will help plan for what you might take too.
Bikerman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby CAJUN LADY » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:44 am

Bikerman wrote:Couldn't help it, this reminded me of my mother taking me upto Camp Ripley, Mn. from Springfield, Mo. to meet my dad during a National Guard Camp. It was in a 55 Pontiac station wagon and we had a Sears three room tent.

Not so much about what to take, as all good comments, but maybe some things you're likely not going to use, that my mother took.

Lawn rake, tree trimer shear, electric hedge clipper and manual grass clippers. She thought we might need to take care of the grass at the camp site and cut limbs to put the tent under a tree. There was bar soap, dish soap, Mr. Clean, Ajax, and furniture polish, the table at camp sites are usually not so clean. She also packed some tools, my dad's drill, jig saw, saber saw and a hand saw, but forgot the hammer! She thought something might break and we would have the tools to fix it! She also took a green garden hose and a garden spade.

Remember, we werein a tent and the camp ground had no electric or water on our site.

Maybe knowing where you are going and what's available will help plan for what you might take too.

:lol: As the saying goes, "She took everything but the kitchen sink". Those are what memories are made of! :thumbsup:

Have to admit, I do take a lawn rake with me. It's one of the portable ones from Camping World I bought a long time ago. I use it to rake my site clean before I leave.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby glenpinpat » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:33 pm

we keep a camping journal or diary. it has the dates temperatures campsite # and things we wish we had. we will also rate the campground on pros and cons for future references and which sites we would rather have had. This allows us to pack according to the campground in the future. For example if the had no bike paths there may be no need to bring bikes next time.
glenpinpat
Teardrop Master

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:23 pm

Hey Bikerman.....I think we had the same mother. Mine brought Pinesol cleaner with for everything. To this day it makes me sick!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Bikerman » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:10 am

LOL, yes mine took pinesol too. And yes, Cajun Lady, she did take a kitchen sink, it was a white metal bar sink sized sink in the top of an airliner table. Have no idea where that table is,or where my dad found it. It cam out ouf a plane and had two fron legs (designed to fold down I think. It had a large drawer and had storage for charts (we thought). We put it on the back of the station wagon. Where the chart storage wass, dad put a drain through that section and used a bucket under the table. Anyway, she did take a kitchen sink!

Don't know if anyone mentioned taking para cord, you can get this small rope or cord at any Army Surplus store. It can be used for all most anything from laces for your boots, a clothes line or lashing the 4 chairs you take when only two people are going.
Bikerman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby CAJUN LADY » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:24 am

Bikerman wrote:LOL, yes mine took pinesol too. And yes, Cajun Lady, she did take a kitchen sink, it was a white metal bar sink sized sink in the top of an airliner table. Have no idea where that table is,or where my dad found it. It cam out ouf a plane and had two fron legs (designed to fold down I think. It had a large drawer and had storage for charts (we thought). We put it on the back of the station wagon. Where the chart storage wass, dad put a drain through that section and used a bucket under the table. Anyway, she did take a kitchen sink!

Don't know if anyone mentioned taking para cord, you can get this small rope or cord at any Army Surplus store. It can be used for all most anything from laces for your boots, a clothes line or lashing the 4 chairs you take when only two people are going.

I would have liked your mom! :thumbsup:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Redgloves » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:58 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:Hey Bikerman.....I think we had the same mother. Mine brought Pinesol cleaner with for everything. To this day it makes me sick!

I know what I am bringing to the next CICO.
Geocacher, healthcare provider, mom and women with not enough common sense regarding personal safety when it comes to adventure outings!

Owner:
Uff Da Inn, a 2015 Camp Inn 560
Redgloves
The 300 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:11 pm

You better not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby jlreyburn » Sun May 15, 2011 9:10 am

A camping journal definitely! I've kept one in the car for years, it's great to look back and read about all the fun we've had camping when our kids were
little, there now 19 and 2 - 14 year olds.
jlreyburn
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 2bits » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:47 pm

A camping journal can also be useful to write down stuff while you are out and think "I shoulda brought that".

Also, expect to forget stuff and miss something, and if you are "Emotionally" prepared for it, it won't be as frustrating as it might be.

As far as wheel choks, think about how long you will be there, and if you plan on going anywhere. When I camp, the last thing I want to do is get in my car or truck and drive somewhere so I typically don't unless I have to. With this in mind, there is no need to unhook at all, and this will keep you secure. The only other reason to unhook might be if your site is on an incline and you want to level out a bit.

That leads me to another topic. Some people go ape about being perfectly level, but I prefer to have my head elevated so I will level my teardrop in this way.

Plan for trash. I got one of those spring loaded expand out trash "cans" and use it. Also, remember raccoons love digging through your trash, so hang it up, lock it away, or throw it away at the end of the day.

What I did before my first outing was think (OK dream!) about what I would do, and walk myself through the steps and write down things, I think I would need.

Most of all, don't stress over it, it is camping and you will come home soon... Don't forget the cell phone charger just in case :)

Have fun!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby gregp136 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:07 am

Yes, don't stress is the big thing. Anything you forget you will remember next time, but then you will forget something else. Personally, we have all camping stuff stored in and around the teardrop. Before a trip, we add and subtract depending on where we are going, and if we are bringing any kids along. That is one of the main reasons we built Our Little Tin Can. It keeps us ready to go quickly.

Greg(and Laurie)
gregp136
The 300 Club

Postby 2bits » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:57 pm

gregp136 wrote:Yes, don't stress is the big thing. Anything you forget you will remember next time, but then you will forget something else. Personally, we have all camping stuff stored in and around the teardrop. Before a trip, we add and subtract depending on where we are going, and if we are bringing any kids along. That is one of the main reasons we built Our Little Tin Can. It keeps us ready to go quickly.

Greg(and Laurie)

You hid a great point in there. The whole point of it is simplicity, so bring ll you think about and leave it in the trailer! That way, the next time you don't have to worry about it. If you need a can opener, buy one specifically for the teardrop, buy towels, all your bathroom stuff, etc. This, after a few trips will end up being a fully stocked camper ready for action at any time!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Re: First Trip Tips for Dummies.

Postby PanelDeland » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:51 pm

I read this whole thread,then realized it's a year old.The one MAJOR thing that was left out was the SKILL to tow/back a trailer.Maybe the next first timer will read it and get some good from it.
"I know the voices in my head aren't real,but they have some really good Ideas!"
PanelDeland
Teardrop Master

Re: First Trip Tips for Dummies.

Postby 2bits » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:06 pm

PanelDeland wrote:I read this whole thread,then realized it's a year old.The one MAJOR thing that was left out was the SKILL to tow/back a trailer.Maybe the next first timer will read it and get some good from it.

Good idea, not that I am Mr. Backer or anything, but the rule of thumb that you may have already heard is to place your hand at the LOWER center of the steering wheel and move your hand in the direction that you want the trailer to go. I am getting better maybe I will stop attracting onlookers to see what I will hit next someday haha
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets