Freezing meals ahead of time.

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby chorizon » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:23 pm

oklahomajewel wrote:Look at books or websites for "Once a Month" cooking.
Some pastas, noodles and potatoes do not freeze well at all., but do everything else and just add the pasta there.
Happy camping !!!
Julie

We really like the "Bertolli's bags", and thats how they do it. The pasta is frozen separately from the sauce and the "protein". Basically what you get when you dump it into the skillet is a bunch of frozen pasta, pieces of frozen chicken or whatever, and "pucks" of frozen sauce. Doesn't sound that appetizing, but man, 10 minutes later and you are "livin' the high-life"!

I personally will endeavor to recreate these pasta dishes because they are quite tasty. Letcha know how it comes out.

Thanks, OKJ for the tip on the "once a month" search, it yielded much info to ponder... :thinking:
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:15 pm

Like Okie-J, I have a Foodsaver. I only freeze foods if I can vacuum seal them, so all the air is out. Otherwise, they freezer-burn -- unless you use them in a matter of days.

I don't freeze cooked foods very often, but if you seal it right, lasagna freezes well. I buy frozen shrimp as long as the shells are still on. Peeled shrimp gets mushy when you cook it.

Freezing food is a great way to preserve it, but it's not for every food. It has taken many years of trial and error to find out what freezes well, and what gets ruined when you freeze it.

In my backpacking days, I used to make "foil pack" meals that I could freeze, then wrap in my clothing for insulation, and cook on the coals of a campfire. That was good stuff, and it didn't weigh much, and was easy to pack. I could do the same for TD camping, but don't need to.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets