Ants

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby asianflava » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:56 pm

Holy thread resurrection Batman. :) :)

Good info though.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Tumbleweed_Tex » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:02 pm

My late Uncle Puss once told me…when it comes to crawling pests, the best thing to use is red chalk dust…the kind you put into a carpenter’s chalk-line. Just sprinkle it around, he said, and anything that crawls over it will get the red-a$$ and leave.

:roll:
Tumbleweed_Tex
cowboy storyteller extraordinaire

Postby Mikka » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:35 pm

Johnnycat wrote:One should take note not to use borax, or comet, or other chemical while camping, sure it will kill the ants but you pose a health hazard to other animals (not an animal hugger here ;) ) but the motto of "leave no trace still applies, so try the Baking soda, cinnamon and also cayenne pepper, they all work.

I don't know why borax would be dangerous? it has been sold for years as "dancing powder" to be sprayed on dancing floors. Also, I was raised on a farm and I clearly remember my mon putting borax on our deeper cuts to promote scaring of the wounds. Belive me with raising 18 kids, they saved a ton of money on sutures! their thinking I guess was if it was good on the animals, it could not hurt the kids :thumbsup:
Mikka
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Wolfscout » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:37 am

aspirin, alka seltzer etc. that blow up birds, especially seagulls.
Windex sprayed seems to work best. If I have a large case of the butt at ants.. I generally carry some Spectracide multipupose in a double gallon ziplock. :twisted:
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

2016 8X20 Homestead Patriot CTC
CTC 2

'90 6x12 Wells Cargo Trailer Conversion
my 1st build= CTC 1 FB album history.
Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:31 pm

My hero since I took entomology at the university back in the early 70's, yes i knew about him way back then.

Lord of the Ants

I think the head of the department/my Prof knew him.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

10% Permethrin....

Postby JuneBug » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:41 pm

While camping, though, just be aware that Permethrin is toxic to fish, so don't use it in a place where there is any possibility that it could be washed in a lake or stream.

I had a terrible ant problem in my kitchen this summer. I tried all the remedies discussed + commercial ant baits both inside and out without any noticeable effect. The ants avoided the ant baits like the plague (!) and just cleaned up the boric acid and baking soda and kept going about their business. I tried mixing some sugar with the boric acid to make it more appealing. But Sevin dust was immediately effective (I used it outside where they were coming from the nest into the house).
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets