What camping/cooking gear is “must haveâ€

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby Mukilteo » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:43 am

I camp alone & am not much of a cook. I'm out to relax and read a book, not slave over a stove. I've been known to load up a bunch of MRE's.
Coleman 2 burner propane stove.
Frying pan & lid.
2 quart Soup pot.
1 each knife, fork, spoon, spatula, metal plate.
Pepper, & Mrs. Dash
I still take too much and need to leave more at home. Now did I really need those solar patio lights? No.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:47 am

ParTaxer wrote:Bob Henry you got my attention! I purchased a party ball as well.
Mike W

Hey that make 4 of us !!!!!! KOOL !

Is it something you just picked up off of E bay or a lucky find at Goodwill or something you had laying around ????

Either way you will love it if you hate paper plates like I do !
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby ParTaxer » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:26 am

Picked it off Ebay. Told my wife to look at it and she said " Oh my God we wanted those so bad when we were kids". Next thing I knew she had bought it off Ebay. Hope you and Ol' what's her name are doing well.
Merry Xmas!
Mike
I have wisdom beyond my years. In fact, I'm nearly senile.
ParTaxer
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:02 pm

The only reason I knew to look for one was mom and dad had one when we were kids. We never camped but we did a lot of day trips to the state parks and picniced with "Ingrid" so when I decided to go minimal in the teardrop I knew I had to find one.

Found one on E bay and it was missing a couple parts so I bid on a second for the extras parts . I bought it real reasonable and 5 weeks ago I was walking thru Goodwill and another partial set was on the shelf for $5.00 I grabbed it also.

The other thing I remembered was a 4 stack of aluminum pans that locked together into a tote. Mom would make 3 or 4 sides and clamp them together to carry them to the picnic. I found the exact same one in a resale shop for $7.00

Congratz "Ingrid will serve you well and you will love it.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby TwilightLane » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:34 am

I don't know if this has been said yet, but I highly recommend a headlamp.

I really like this one: http://www.rei.com/product/791312

Steer clear of Princeton Tec. In my _experienced_ opinion their lights are garbage. Shoddy design and construction. I strongly recommend Petzl.
Rob & Lori
Aspen & Tundra
My Instructable: http://www.instructables.com/id/Teardro ... l-Trailer/
TwilightLane
The 300 Club

Postby ParTaxer » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:36 am

Absolutely, head lamps are a must!
I have wisdom beyond my years. In fact, I'm nearly senile.
ParTaxer
The 300 Club

Rubbermaid tubs as camping equipment

Postby Blumie » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:36 pm

Jenn wrote, "I'd like to get my gear into two to four 10 gallon (37.9L) 24 x 16 x 8¾" Rubbermaid containers," and made me smile. I once walked around a packed Tuolumne Meadows campground in Yosemite, looking at folks' camping containers. Almost 100% of campers had at least one -- usually more -- Rubbermaid. Some Sterlite plastics, a few cardboard boxes. Rubbermaid should run a line called Campmaid!

I discovered that the Rubbermaid tubs of the same length & width as Jenn's container dimensions will fit into the Coleman folding stove stand. We carry our main kitchen equipment in a deeper version of Jenn's Rubbermaid Roughneck, and now it rests up out of the dirt, at an easy height for reaching into for the colander or saucepan. DSH prefers sturdier surfaces for his camp stove than the folding stand (which can be aggravating if he wants to spread the kitchen all over the campsite -- that's what the galley is for!), so I set the kitchen tub on it & am a much happier camper to not have to stand on my head to find things.

Dear Sweet Husband & I have found the tubs so handy in teardrop living that we've dispensed with suitcases and duffle bags for our clothes, too. One Rubbermaid tub of the dimensions cited by Jenn is equal to a large dresser drawer -- one that can be stacked on the trailer tongue or roof & left out overnight in the rain, as long as the lid is snapped on.
Blumie
Silver Donating Member

Postby jhb » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:26 pm

One can always overstock one's galley, but at a minimum you need a sink with hot and cold running water, a 12v refrigerator, 3 burner stove with oven, and a someone to camp with that can bake a pumpkin pie.

It was amazing how friendly our neighbors became when the pie came out of the oven... (the pie was eaten before I remembered I needed a picture of it.)

What do you really need in a TD galley? What ever you want. Make it your own, and if you don't get it right the first time, change it!
John B.
I'd rather be camping.
jhb
Gold Donating Member

Postby Alleged User » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:19 pm

We use these caps from LL Bean and we love them. The lights are so inconspicuous that you can wear the cap all the time and only use the lights when necessary. Well made, and the lights are bright and very effective. No more hunting for the flashlight. Just reach up and click on your hat.

I like those Ingrid party ball sets alot, but I'm not a big fan of bright primary colors, so hadn't bought one...until today, when I found this one on etsy. The price was right, and it's a nice retro color. Can't wait to get it.
Kelly & Duke
2011 ZZ Drop
Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy. - Eskimo proverb
Alleged User
Donating Member

Location: Northern Virginia...not to be confused with Virginia.

Postby bobhenry » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:46 am

jhb wrote:One can always overstock one's galley, but at a minimum you need a sink with hot and cold running water, a 12v refrigerator, 3 burner stove with oven, and a someone to camp with that can bake a pumpkin pie.

It was amazing how friendly our neighbors became when the pie came out of the oven... (the pie was eaten before I remembered I needed a picture of it.)

What do you really need in a TD galley? What ever you want. Make it your own, and if you don't get it right the first time, change it!

I've said it many times before a 32 cup coffee maker make an excellent red neck hot water heater. A must for K.P. duty ya just can't wash greasy dishes in cold water.

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:56 am

Alleged User wrote:We use these caps from LL Bean and we love them. The lights are so inconspicuous that you can wear the cap all the time and only use the lights when necessary. Well made, and the lights are bright and very effective. No more hunting for the flashlight. Just reach up and click on your hat.

I like those Ingrid party ball sets alot, but I'm not a big fan of bright primary colors, so hadn't bought one...until today, when I found this one on etsy. The price was right, and it's a nice retro color. Can't wait to get it.

WaHoo another convert. The built in flatware is a neat thing.

There is one thing to say for the multi colored sets if every user in the party is given" A " color you know who's is who's .

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby jhb » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:35 am

bobhenry wrote:I've said it many times before a 32 cup coffee maker make an excellent red neck hot water heater. A must for K.P. duty ya just can't wash greasy dishes in cold water.
Is it "camping" if there is power in the camp site? :lol:
John B.
I'd rather be camping.
jhb
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:05 am

Good question !

They keep having our gatherings at State Parks in the electric sections and I have become soft and spoiled.

I did have 3 NO POWER outings this season just to get back to real Camping and it is different.

Yes I have a big pot and can boil water!
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby legojenn » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:51 am

I like the look of the party ball and himmed and hawwed about getting one, but I ended up getting the GSI Infinity 4 Person Deluxe Tableset.

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/detail.aspx? ... 7&p=75400&

It compresses down to 9.5 inches cubed into a nice little bag. I keep the flatware in the Kitchen 23.

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/detail.aspx? ... 23%26&c=3&

I'm a real fan of GSI productsand have no connection to them. It's just that I am a member of Mountain Equipment Co-op and they carry a lot of their products. I've never bought anything from that brand I didn't like.

I think that my next purchase is going to be one of the Bugaboo cooksets.

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/search.aspx?q=bugaboo&p=1&

Oooh, GSI even sells dutch ovens.... http://www.gsioutdoors.com/search.aspx?q=dutch+oven&
Jenn
legojenn
The 300 Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:25 pm

jhb wrote:One can always overstock one's galley, but at a minimum you need a sink with hot and cold running water, a 12v refrigerator, 3 burner stove with oven, and a someone to camp with that can bake a pumpkin pie.

Nice Galley! :thumbsup:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets