What camping/cooking gear is “must haveâ€

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

camping

Postby vinsmell@yahoo.com » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:57 am

you should always bring the following:

1. frying pan
2. flashlight
3. lighter
4. tent
5. food
vinsmell@yahoo.com
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:58 am

Is June retro month ???

We have had 3 or 4 threads resurface this month that are years old.

However I am a retro guy and love looking back. I reread this entire thread over again.

And yes Becca I am proud of my take the whole $%&^& kitchen list.

Bob
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
9000 Club
9000 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:00 am

Bob, I love your kitchen list and you know it! I have used your list to remind me to take things I've forgotten. I may not take as much with me but your list is helpful...Thanks Bob. ;)
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:10 am

"Real campers don't use propane or blue tarps".

Jocko

:thinking: Hmmmmmmmm....After all these years I am just realizing I'm not a real camper! Well, I call bullcrap to that! :thumbdown:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:57 am

CAJUN LADY wrote:
"Real campers don't use propane or blue tarps".

Jocko

:thinking: Hmmmmmmmm....After all these years I am just realizing I'm not a real camper! Well, I call bullcrap to that! :thumbdown:

Camp as opposed to wandering off without preparation.. ;)

My list varies according to where I am going and how many people I need to prepare for.

Fire starters W/match head

Dutch oven
frying pan
pot
spatula
large spoon
very sharp knife
paper towels
eating utensils
plates, bowls (if needed) cups
food
towels
dish cleaning supplies
kitchen gloves

permanent to the tear
underbed containers for kitchen stuff and clothes
plastic tub for holding misc. and washing dishes
seasonings
sugar
coffeemate
instant coffee
Drip Coffee pot (electric)
coffee press for days without elect.
2 burner propane stove
propane tanks
Kitchen plastic tub w/stuff
Table cloths
hammer/screw drivers/screws and nails
DUCT TAPE
trashbags
porta potty
toilet paper
facial tissues
baby wipes
large tarp
small grill
Electric hot plate for inside cooking

Medical stuff
tooth paste
tooth brushes
Allergy meds
Tylenol/ibuprofen

bedding and extra sheets
bath towels
light jacket

My td is packed for quick trips and I even have an extra mattress for the middle floor in for extra visitors.

Wonder if that is all.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Blumie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:38 pm

What a relief it is to see that other campers use kitchen checklists and aren't viewed as obsessive-compulsive geeks... or maybe they are! It always seemed logical to me that one shouldn't spend more time getting ready to go than the length of time one is gone. A packing list for gear and groceries is the only way I can spend less than a day pulling it all together.

My ideal is to have a galley pantry and supplies to be out for a week and be able to improvise meals & simple desserts (dutch oven pies, cakes) with what I have on hand. I do plan and shop for several specific meals, but many times we don't feel like cooking after a long dayhike... and any plan goes out the window. Besides, you never know when you'll catch a nice trout or drive past a ready-to-pick thicket of elderberries.
Blumie
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:51 am

blumie wrote:What a relief it is to see that other campers use kitchen checklists and aren't viewed as obsessive-compulsive geeks... .

I learned the value of a checklist early on......

Standing there in the predawn darkness I came to grips with my first true camping failure......

Staring at the cold propane stove and the skillet I had planned to cook bacon and eggs in and the little stove top coffee pot I was planning to have a hot cup of coffee from. I let my eyes roll to the smokey joe grill and the Kingsforg charcoal and the starting fluid. The coleman lantern and even casted a backwards glance at the now stone cold campfire. How can so many vital camping items be so damn worthless for want of a SINGLE MATCH !
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
9000 Club
9000 Club

Postby Uncle Chan » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:05 am

I have two cooking essentials: Pampered Chef Wok and Pampered Chef turner/spatula. I do ALL of my cooking on a little propane stove using said wok. I won't camp without it....ever.
Uncle Chan
Uncle Chan
Teardrop Master

Postby Blumie » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:15 pm

Uncle Chan has a point. Stir fry tastes amazing in camp! We use a dutch oven for that, too.
Blumie
Silver Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:55 pm

bobhenry wrote:How can so many vital camping items be so damn worthless for want of a SINGLE MATCH !

:lol: :lol:

Been there, done that, have the T shirt. Now i often have matches in several different areas.
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Blumie » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:33 pm

Matches live in the utensil drawer of the tear galley... why bother having a trailer if you can't keep matches in it?
Blumie
Silver Donating Member

Postby slowcowboy » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:34 pm

I am a terrible one for not keeping lists. I just try and remmber everything when I pack the teardrop.

I have one of the big red rechargble grill matches for my lighter. Looks like a big match with a big red head on it. I stick this on the side of my galley counter by the door on the cubbard under the sink and stove. I took 2 large hook eyelet loops and drilled holes and screwed them in the side of my galley. then I just drop my rechargleble lighter or match in the top loop eyelet and the bottom one holds the handle from flopping around.

This is the big match looking gas flicker you use on barbaque grills.

for cooking I use a lot of things and am still in the learning stages of being a no burn the food chef.

I have a lot of the coleman style blue white enamale eating and cooking sets. I do coffee with a tiny smallest size coffee pot. Camping alone I pour from a 5 gallon milk jug drinking water enough into one cup. then pour in the minature coffe pot it is like a 2 cup or 4 cup size then heat water on stove and just a little slowcowboy not too much instant coffee.

Heee. I learned on that one. I just grabbed in walmart last week a propane fired skillet I always wanted to try so that is added to my cooking arnsel.

I plan to do eggs bacon and what ever and ignor my 2 burner drop in the counter stove in the galley of my teardrop with using on my table the propane fired skillet.

I this year will be packing a cameco propane fireplace. double mantle propane lantern. and I used to take and probaly still will a black and decker rechargble power pack. It has a 200 watt built in power invertor and I run a desk lamp off the power invertor on the power pack and have a 15 watt floersant light bulb in the desk lamp this makes a great huge light for like 4 or so hours.

I will be taking my portable gas table top grill and I learned about cast iron again so I have a skillet half out of a old electric waffle iron so that will come with me too.

I want to get my pressure cooker hot water heator going. There is a tread on this inventon that was posted in like march or febuary on here. It is a old pressur cooker with a kitchen sink spray atttachement plumbed into the lid with copper tubbing. it has a air attachement valve and you just add water heat it up then add the lid to the pressure cooker with its modifications and take a bickle pump and air it up to like 15 pounds and go to spraying your dishes down or take a navy shower with it. neato idea. I am not done on it. just trying to find a used pressure cooker that some wacko has not used as a former meth lab.

that is hard in our second hand stores with the local indain reservation nearby and there meth problem. Pressure cookers are expenseive so someday I might take a chance on one on ebay.

I will take my wind turbine hopefully before summer is out and my shelter logic and the new mounts for it to my teardrop.

lots of other inventions. then i will get to the camping spot and forget something very important to ruin my hole trip.

I am hoping though to make it to a teardrop gathering this summer and let you folks see me buring food and all my inventions and borrowed inventions in action. Maybee if I forget something important like my propane you will lend me some. My thoughts, Slowcowboy.
Plans. there was supposed to be plans to be followed when I built this thing. Opps! AH, gee, tum,tee tum. I think I forgot about the plans 2 years ago. ------Tow vehicles, 1995 ford explore, 1994 ford ranger, 1993 ford F-150, 2009 4x9 Off road teardrop, on harbor freight greatly modified frame.
slowcowboy
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:44 pm

blumie wrote:Matches live in the utensil drawer of the tear galley... why bother having a trailer if you can't keep matches in it?

Have you ever run out of something and forgot to get more?? It happens to everyone.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Ageless » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:11 pm

Jocko would have a hard time camping in summer in the west.

Many times; camping allowed in campgrounds only; no open fires; no charcoal. Only propane or white gas allowed. Even then, you are still required to have a shovel and water bucket.
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby slowcowboy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:31 am

I don't think you would have a fire ban this year at all. Every thing is so soggy and wet you would not want to camp by a creek or a river with out a boat to set your teardrop on.

I really don't think we will with all the rain and flooding in wyoming even know what fire season and forest fires are till maybee late septimber or octobor. then watch out! but I bet even then with how much rain we have gotten and above record flooding, we won't see a fire ban on camp fires this year.

The rivers and creeks will be so high till mid july though it kills the fishing and that stinks! My thoughts. Slowcowboy. I acutlaly will need a fire this year while camping to dry my butt out!
Plans. there was supposed to be plans to be followed when I built this thing. Opps! AH, gee, tum,tee tum. I think I forgot about the plans 2 years ago. ------Tow vehicles, 1995 ford explore, 1994 ford ranger, 1993 ford F-150, 2009 4x9 Off road teardrop, on harbor freight greatly modified frame.
slowcowboy
6000 Club
6000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets