Best way to pack wine glasses in the TT?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Best way to pack wine glasses in the TT?

Postby subdivo » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:50 pm

I already checked the wine-lovers thread, but have not found anyone sharing a secret, a method, a gadget or a home-built storage idea for traveling with wine glasses. Would anyone care to share what they do?

I have cut holes in some styrofoam-like insulation to keep my ceramic mugs from sliding around or knocking into each other, but I'm not too sure how safe the same method for wine glasses would be...

Ideas?

Cheers,
Michelle
subdivo
Teardrop Builder

Postby Loader » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:22 pm

Michelle,

Facing the same problem, we went and purchased some of the polycarb wine glasses. I know, not quite the same thing as real glass, but it eliminates the breaking problem!

Here's some (although we picked ours up locally)

http://www.wineenthusiast.com/glassware ... lasses.asp

:wine:
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby planovet » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:29 am

As much as things get banged around in our teardrop, I would never carry glass wineglasses. We carry plastic/polycarb glasses and they work well.
After all, it's just camping :lol:
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:59 am

Plastic...once you've broken one or two glass ones, you'll appreciate the plastic ones.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:20 am

I've got one of those Skotch picnic tins designed by Petra Cabot. This stuff was popular back in the 50's. Has 2 handles, hinged lid, can take a couple of bottles and glasses. I've got mine set up with Gin/Vermouth and 4 martini glasses...no problem. Also...buy your wine glasses at the thrift store...no great loss if you break a 50 cent glass. Just an idea. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby tearhead » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:17 pm

Found a couple of metal (pewter looking) ones at Goodwill. Am now using the poly carb ones on the patio.
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Phooey » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:31 pm

Campmor catalogue has stainless steel wine glases. We have four that stay in the trailer all the time. I have seen a combination stainless and plastic wine glass at REI and Sports Chalet.

:wine:
Phooey
Teardrop Master

Postby gregp136 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:39 pm

We have pack ours wrapped in the dishtowels that we bring. Haven't broken them yet. I much prefer glass to plastic.

Greg(and Laurie)
gregp136
The 300 Club

Postby eamarquardt » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:42 pm

Can't one drink wine right out of the bottle?

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby subdivo » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:08 am

What's funny is, that the polycarb glasses (which you'd think would be cheap), cost much more than the Bormoli wineglasses I buy from Costco for just over a $1 a glass. Yes, it's just camping, and I'm not looking for the 'legs', or to observe the pale straw color of my wine in the sunlight :) ... it is strictly a tactile thing, the weight of the glass and the feel of glass on my lips... just like the mug of coffee in the morning (which I like to be ceramic too).

I thought I would just put aside my own preferences for glass, and pick up some polycarb goblets at Target two weeks back, and my husband gave me THE LOOK... so I put them back.

I wouldn't be upset if I broke a glass, but I'd rather not have to clean up that mess when I'm unpacking (kind of spoils the excitement of setting up camp). I'm going to check out eBay now to see what a Skotch picnic tin is.

If I ever do come up with an ingenious (or downright stupid) way to store my glasses safely, I will let you know!

Thanks all of you for your suggestions (I will even consider drinking straight out of the bottle!).

Oh, and if someone wants to whip up some 3-D CAD rendering of a design for a wine glass holder that will fit in a Cubby, please be sure to pass it along!
subdivo
Teardrop Builder

Postby Gary and Cheri » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:01 am

Nesting wine glasses from REI.

http://www.rei.com/product/798283/gsi-o ... -wineglass

The stem unscrews and fits in the bulb portion. Takes up less space and are hard to break.

Gary
" I started out with nothing and I have most of it left." Groucho Marx

With each grey hair I'm another step closer to becoming a wizard!
Gary and Cheri
500 Club

Postby subdivo » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:47 am

Gary and Cheri wrote:Nesting wine glasses from REI.

Yes, I saw those online a few weeks ago, they're a very clever design (and come in stainless steel too). If I break down and get some plastic ones, those would be the ones I'd buy and save on packing space. I was wondering if anyone has the stainless steel ones, and what they thought of them? I've never had wine out of stainless before.

http://www.rei.com/product/798280/gsi-o ... -wineglass
subdivo
Teardrop Builder

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:23 am

subdivo wrote:Oh, and if someone wants to whip up some 3-D CAD rendering of a design for a wine glass holder that will fit in a Cubby, please be sure to pass it along!

Will a picture be OK ?

Mounted the rack on the underside of the hatch. We only take 4 and I put one each in a clean sock and roll them in the bedding or the side curtains for extra insurance. As has been said they are Goodwill specials so at worst a broken glass is maybe 50 cents. It has never happened but if it should, just turn the sock inside out and shake the shards into the trash.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead and I gave away a beer bandalero (one of those insulated tubes that hold a 6 pack as an over the shoulder "cooler") would have made a dandy wine glass storage idea!

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby godskid » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:25 pm

On reading the title, my first thought was "bury the wine glasses in the flour bin" .... or cornmeal, or whatever you carry a bin of. But you probably don't tote that much flour when you camp!
godskid
The 300 Club

Postby honeask » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:26 pm

Subdivo,
I like the idea of the thick poly wine glasses, sturdy and travel worthy. I have stainless steel wine glasses that we got at a winery in Fredericksburg TX, one of the great winery areas in Texas. The stainless steel glasses are not my "go to" glasses. I think the wine gets warm too quick from the warmth of your hand holding it. Just my opinion.
Sandy

We're not here for a long time, just here for a good time.
The stars at night are big and bright, (clap) (clap) (clap) (clap) DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS.
honeask
Donating Member

Next

Return to Camping Secrets