fire prevention when camping.

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Re: fire prevention when camping.

Postby ZippyTheTurtle » Wed May 16, 2012 12:07 am

Always remember to have a kitchen towel on hand when cooking greasy stuff. You smother a grease fire. Don't splash it with water unless you want steam burns. Don't ask me how I know this. I just do. :roll:
-ZippyTheTurtle

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

I want to be different. Just like everybody else.
ZippyTheTurtle
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed May 16, 2012 5:06 am

Because I have asthma we do not have fires. All of our lights are LED including the lantern and flashlights and all have rechargeable batteries that can be charged from the solar panel. I am often upset with folks that leave camp fires smoldering for days between bouts of use, for me they can be a killer. As a result of an experience at Chain O Lakes with TearJerkers where the smog was far worse than LA at its worst I found a 12V air purifier.

Slowcowboy, yes we need to be mindful of fire safety, I am sure we will hear of a number of major fires this summer started by careless campers.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby jonw » Wed May 16, 2012 8:59 am

ZippyTheTurtle wrote:Always remember to have a kitchen towel on hand when cooking greasy stuff. You smother a grease fire. Don't splash it with water unless you want steam burns. Don't ask me how I know this. I just do. :roll:

I also carry a fire extinguisher, just in case... :shock:
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby bc toys » Wed May 16, 2012 10:14 am

I carry a coal bucket for the char coals, and as for camp fires I never leave camp fire burning and I keep a 5 gallon bucket of water next to the wood pile at camp and i'll have 2- 3 gallon dry cem fire extinguishers in my trailer for road trips. ya you can say over kill but I worked lots of fire woods grass and even cars
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Camping Secrets