camping weapon of war for the meal time.

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Re: camping weapon of war for the meal time.

Postby bobhenry » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:55 am

eaglesdare wrote:verna, i am with you! love my microwave and it now has a spot in the tear. :lol: i really don't use it that much, but on the occassion where you forget to restock the propane and it runs out, and ontop of that you forgot the charcoal, well the microwave is the best. i used to camp all the time without electric. since having the tear and going to gatherings, i have become spoiled by electric. so i bring, the electric skillet, microwave, electric water pot, pressure cooker. non electric, portable grill, dutch oven, cast iron frying pan and 1 pot. that is all i have ever needed. oh and i make sure to always bring the charcoal and propane now.

Forgot the Charcoal !!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

We cooked every meal for the summer gathering with charcoal or coals from the campfire

Yes there is the corner of a toaster oven in the first picture but I swear it was NEVER used
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby the other side » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:16 pm

bobhenry- Whatever that bread thing is... It looks SPECTACULAR!!! I'd be willing to eat that without even asking what it is!
the other side
The 300 Club

Postby honeask » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:44 pm

BobHenry, is the toaster oven for the occasional PopTart?
Sandy

We're not here for a long time, just here for a good time.
The stars at night are big and bright, (clap) (clap) (clap) (clap) DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS.
honeask
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:45 pm

We have an older Coleman nesting camp cooking set from 20+ years ago and tenting. Has three pots and plates. Three burner SS propane cook top, propane gas Grill all from the 25# visible propane tank, (if you run out of propane you aren't paying attention) [got the idea from Bruce}. When we have shore power coffee is a small Cuisinart coffee maker and an electric skillet, when we do not we have an REI insulated french press.
On our summer trip we were on shore power for three weeks and one week with out. We found when traveling that we bought a number of frozen "bag meals" throw them in the skillet and 10 min later you were eating. When we planted we for a couple of days we grilled steaks and did shish kabobs.
One part of this equation is the water heater which makes heating water for dishes unnecessary.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:00 pm

Hilldweller wrote:<snip> GSI anodized aluminum Dutch oven <snip>

We upgraded to the same dutch oven and we love it. We'll never go back to cast iron.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Hilldweller » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:27 am

bdosborn wrote:
Hilldweller wrote:<snip> GSI anodized aluminum Dutch oven <snip>

We upgraded to the same dutch oven and we love it. We'll never go back to cast iron.

Bruce
Having an anodized aluminum Dutch oven that you can clean well is a necessity when camping in bear country.
We even ditched the nicely seasoned wok and have a non-stick type that we carry now.

Not to mention the easy clean ups they allow.
Safety fast,
Bill

Power Wagon: When only the fastest-depreciating, least reliable, fuel-thirstiest, oversized land yacht will do.
Hilldweller
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:29 am

the other side wrote:bobhenry- Whatever that bread thing is... It looks SPECTACULAR!!! I'd be willing to eat that without even asking what it is!

That bread THING is just that...... BREAD.

A giant monster loaf of hot bread That was one of two that I generally fix for the pot luck dinners.

That and a pound of butter ! The best part is I almost never have to deal with leftovers.

When I do...Sunday morning has some fantastic French toast ! :thumbsup:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby riverfront » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:25 am

Now that I am back on my build and can camp(tent for now). The old boy scout in me of be prepared. Sometimes you want it easy and some times you don't mind working for it.

With available electric: (now we almost always have it)
We are ready with a micro wave, electric skillet, 24 cup coffee pot(hot water etc...)Electric 10 cup coffee maker and electric hot plate. We don't use most of this but we have it for special situations.

And for most always:
A self supporting grate for over wood and charcoal - also used for DO platform - 2 burner white gas colman(propane just does not get it done) - A portable propane grill - a 6 qt DO - 12" 6" 4" cast fry pans - 12" stainless fry pan - 4qt cast sauce pan - Old water pot 32 qt - A kitchen work stand - home made wash stand - a turkey fryer and 3 different pots to go with.

We are ready for anything but one thing for sure. We love to camp-cook!

I do have to say the electric skillet is the best cooking tool I have bought. With it's lid can be used for so many things. So in all if you have a DO and an electric skillet that is all you need.
Bruce
riverfront
Teardrop Master

Postby the other side » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:36 pm

bobhenry- Have you ever thought about making that bread with a filling in it? You could make the filling pot pie, stew, sweet cream cheese, or whatever. When I first saw it, I thought it would have something in/under the top layer. But bread alone is fine too!!! Might I ask you how you get the dough ready? I'd like to try that and try to make some pot pie filling to add to the center of the bread!!!

When I have electric I use electric skillet, microwave, and a cheap table top propane grill. If the cheap grill gets too gross and dirty or broken, I'll just pitch it and get another one (I paid $10 brand new for it). I'm also known for cooking meals and putting them in zip lock bags and reheating them in various ways for quick meals.
the other side
The 300 Club

Postby kludge » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:36 pm

I'm a Scoutmaster, and I have 5 kids, so when I go camping it's about speed and ease of cleanup.

First... have a way to make lots of hot water fast. We make hot water in a big tea kettle or in an enamel pot on a big Camp Chef stove. When we're all done eating the hot water in the enamel pot makes cleanup go a lot faster.

I also think of ways to use the hot water for "instant" food... hot cocoa, oatmeal, rice, ramen, etc... it can really speed up cleanup as well. I also think of ways to use prepackaged food in unique ways... boil water, bag of egg noodles, drain most of the water, 2 cans of canned chicken, can of cream of chicken soup, can of cream of celery soup, can of sliced mushroom, black pepper and a dash of hot sauce makes a great chicken stew. If you have an extra burner and skillet, sautee some onions while the water is coming to a boil and add with the other ingredients for more flavor. (OK, that's a big recipe, cut in half is easily four regular servings.)

Second... think of ways to do kitchen prep at home, or have things already cooked (and maybe frozen)... slice and dice, precook meat and freeze (uses less ice that way). Cooking bacon to "almost done" at home helps answer the question, what do I do with all this bacon grease? Boiled eggs - then it doesn't matter then if they break in transit. Egg salad sandwiches is a great alternative to cold cuts for lunch, or you can cook them while your cooking breakfast and it's a no-cook lunch.

Third... coleman stoves are good for a couple or two, but when the group gets bigger, bigger burners and a big cast iron griddle REALLY speeds up the food production. Our troop has a three burner Camp Chef stove... if you have the room and need the production rate, there's simply no substitute. We also have a dedicated ~30"x24" propane griddle with a thick stainless steel cooking surface, ~3/8" thick - yeah, it's real heavy but it's the bomb for pancakes and scrambled eggs when more than a small group.

If you have electric, there's no subtistute for an electric griddle for pancakes, french toast, scrambled eggs, bacon.

Fourth... A "tabletop" propane grill is one of my favorites. More even heat for a the cast iron griddle, roast corn still in the husk, make burgers, chops, and dogs, even foil dinners. With the griddle we also make tuna melts, rueben sandwiches, or whatever toasty meat sandwich you like.

But sometimes "old school" with a small pile of coals from the campfire and an iron skillet is the way to go.

I'm also on the lookout for a big cast iron cauldron for making kettle corn. Right now I make it in my Whirly Pop, but cleanup is a mess with all that melted carmelized sugar.
kludge
Teardrop Master

for the electrically inclined

Postby Irmo Atomics » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:01 am

IMG_0489.JPG
IMG_0489.JPG (120.81 KiB) Viewed 6577 times

and it makes its own hot water for easy clean-up
Bob
Irmo Atomics
Teardrop Master

Postby Festus » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:45 pm

We have a Coleman 2 burner propane stove that we use the most I also have a 2 burner Coleman gas stove, but the propane one packs better in the galley. Depending on the meals we may take the dutch oven or a cast iron hibachi, but not always. I have an various assortment of yard sale skillets and pots and pans in the galley, but no cast iron yet. I leave that at home. ( At least until I find a good skillet at a yard sale or swap meet. )

What we have done before when traveling is to wrap up a meal in foil and cook it on the engine while we drive. I learned this technique when I was a deck hand on a commercial boat. The old captain would have me go down in the engine room, pop the lid and set a can of soup or ravioli etc. on the engine's exhaust manifold a little while before lunch so it would heat up.

We do a little more than that though. My wife even bought me a cookbook for cooking on your car engine. I kid you not! It's called "Manifold Destiny" by Chris Maynard and Bill Scheller. Even if you never try it, the book is a hoot to read. Not as fun as cooking around a campfire, but it kind of freaks people out :frightened: when you pop the hood and pull out a foil package and start eating your meal! :lol:
Festus
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:28 pm

Three burner SS cook top, gas grill, nesting set of Colman Peak pots/pans and plates, small Mr Coffee and electric fry pan for when we have shore power and a see through 25# propane tank so we do not run out. French Press for coffee when we do not have shore power.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby canned o minimum » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:49 pm

Since I am always camping solo, I have a few "regular" meals that are always on my menu...pre-scrambled eggs fer breakfast with flour tortillias( egg burritos) or instant oatmeal. When I feel energetic, I cook up sum sausage links to go with breakfast.

Lunch...usually premade(at home) tuna with string cheese and sweet pickles thrown on top and I scoop it up with Ritz crackers(less dishes..no fork)

Dinner...usually Dinty Moores beef stew or sum beans... maybe chili and hot dogs

My weapons of choice are a ( don't shoot me) 2 burner Coleman , propane stove and a single burner butane. When I do sum "serious " cookin .. it's in my DO !

I also have a small BBQ and always have charcoal in case I wanna have sum burgers or a steak....
Last edited by canned o minimum on Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby H.A. » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:28 pm

Last edited by H.A. on Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H.A.
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets