camping weapon of war for the meal time.

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Re: camping weapon of war for the meal time.

Postby Mukilteo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:27 pm

Why the obvious answer is "Your trusty Entrenching Tool"
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby lancew » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:31 pm

:lol: thats way cool mukilteo. did you sterilize them before cooking? lol i thought of my neighbor when i saw this pic. he always said "us poor folks have poor ways " . i know you werent poor you just forgot the pots n pans. lol
lancew
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mukilteo » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:05 pm

Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby jmkjr72 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:36 pm

i do have a 2 burner white gas and a big propane turkey burner (used mostly for wash water)
and i also have a couple of single burner propane and a single burner multi fuel (white gas kerosene gasoline) used mostly for canoe trips and roughing it

but mostly i use dutch ovens
jmkjr72
Teardrop Builder

Postby suckerpunched » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:11 pm

I camp mostly by myself or with one or two grand kids,,,,I keep it pretty simple,,,canned beans or chili and smoked sausage for dinner,,,unless we catch some fish....maybe eggs and pancakes for breakfast,,,sometimes on the propane stove,,,sometimes on the white gas coleman,. I camp light as the ranger has about two horsepower, so alot of cast iron is out. Maybe my 10 inch DO or cast fry pan. I do want to try that enchilada casserole recipie and maybe a small roast in the DO this season maybe at walk the winds....Did biscuits and homeade sausage gravy once when camping with family but really cut into my fishing time. Sometimes carry a small kettle bbq and some charcoal if I bring burgers, dogs, or steaks.
I'm for the old basic KISS system,,,,Keep It Simple Stupid
TC
If you see my harley on a trailer,,,,call the police cause it's being stolen...
suckerpunched
Teardrop Master

Postby dmckruit » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:52 pm

If there is electric, a crock pot is a must spend most of the day busy, so we just set up a crock pot with dinner in the morning, and by dinner time its ready to eat. Saves a lot of time.
dmckruit
The 300 Club

Postby Weirdnerd » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:48 pm

I have a built in propane stove, but I found out it is not very good in windy conditions, so i also carry a Coleman white gas stove, it works very well even at subzero temps, I am seriously thinking on removing the stove in the TD and replace it with a Coleman stove, and take advantage of the extra storage space and less weight.

This is my build thread...
Weirdnerd's teardrop
Weirdnerd
The 300 Club

Postby rollintent » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:01 pm

I am just starting to play with this. They are called rocket stoves. There's a lot of videos on youtube about them. My first test run boiled 2 gallons of water in 27 minutes with less than half of an average piece of split firewood. I think I can do better by adding a ring of flashing around the pot to keep the heat/exhaust next to the sides of the pot as it rises. Down sides that I see right now is that it is heavy and somewhat bulky and it puts soot on cookware. Up side is that it operates on twigs or split wood and uses relatively little of that, so it would save on/eliminate the need for propane. I think it will be nice for wok or skillet cooking and heating water for showers etc. Curious to see if anyone else is using one and how they like it.

rollintent
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:04 pm

Far out
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:12 pm

We ate pretty good on during our trip to California this year. The usual favorite of steak and tomatoes:

Added a new item to the camping menu, pizza on the grill:

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:00 am

:thinking: If I am alone I rarely cook....Now I have a microwave, a toaster oven that came with the Green Lantern. A 2 burner Coleman propane that I don't like a lot, a single butane I love and a Cast Iron Dutch Oven which I use in the fire if I have one. And yes I forget the charcoal often... :x

Oops: I also discovered precooked hamburgers cook really great in the truck window in a zip lock bag. Was only trying to be sure they thawed.....got a burned hand when I lifted them from underneath. :twisted:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby GerryS » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:21 am

I've been fascinated by these stoves since I first read about them. Especially the larger versions used to heat larger areas...running the exhaust through cob....

They do work, but the trouble is, to me anyway, camping chow usually consists of a good slab of critter. The rocket stoves just done get hot enough to put a serious sear on the stake. But for other lower temp cooking, they work well.

The stoves also work well using scrub twigs and sticks. It's too bad you can't burn that kind of stuff at state parks, where we camp most often. I hate to break up a good loge to boil water....
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby eggsalad » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:17 am

Count me in with the minimalists. My TTT has no galley. I carry a single-burner butane stove and a 10" cast-iron skillet. Since one shouldn't boil water in cast iron, I've been carrying a small saucepan to boil water for my pour-over coffee maker. I think next year I'll buy a small percolator, because I find the pour-over a bit of a hassle.
eggsalad
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:53 pm

You so-called minimalists are a bunch of fifth-wheel pulling sissies! I'll betcha two-bits, ya'll crank up the generators at about eleven pm so's ya can fire up the 240v dish washwers!

Here's the real deal: Flank steak cooked over locally collected buffalo "chips" using a two-handed campfire toaster.

C'mon. Let's git with the program. :beer: But don't take the name callin' toooo bloody seriously.

I'm still scratching my head wondering what the Yellowstone parkies woulda done if they'd caught me snatching up those flat prarie-logs. Slough Creek Campground if'n you're wondering.

TL
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby rollintent » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:51 pm

I guess I will show my ignorance. Why shouldn't you boil water in cast iron?
rollintent
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets