camping weapon of war for the meal time.

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Re: camping weapon of war for the meal time.

Postby PKCSPT » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:59 am

I might get fancy and make a pasta salad at home that I can eat cold,, I try not to cook when camping, not my thing.
If the kids/grandkids are with I might break out the hot dog forks and roast some hot dogs and I have a pan I bring with but hardly ever use it. Mostly it is peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches and raw fruits and vegys.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:23 am

rollintent wrote:I guess I will show my ignorance. Why shouldn't you boil water in cast iron?

Boiling water in cast iron will remove the seasoning and cause food to stick to the surface or pores of the iron. A properly seasoned cast iron cooking pan or pot is a marvel to use.

But you can sure boil water with one.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:48 am

Slow :

Glad you enjoyed that.

I'm guessing its colder than the bottom of an Eskimo's freezer over there. TL
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:57 am

I recently got a camp chef oven/stove off of craigslist. I've camped twice with it now and I love it. I bring the cinnamon rolls in tubes and have them with my coffee. For pos and pans I have the Coleman camping pan set, skillet, small sauce pan, big pot and lids all in one, the camp,chef griddle and a percolator coffee pot.
The camp chef is mainly used for breakfast, dinner is done usually something grilled, but I have made biscuits for dinner in the CC.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Esteban » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:29 am

I will soon begin cooking in a thermal vacuum cooker. Just ordered a Saratoga Jacks 4.5 liter vacuum cooker. saratogajacks.com My write up begins here: Thermal vacuum cooker? Many yummy recipes can be found at pinterest pinterest.com/saratogajacks-thermal-cooking I have a sweet tooth so peach crisp cooked in mason jars caught my imagination. Lasanga Soup does too.
:thumbsup:

My other primary tool is a Camp Chef Oven. Between the two I'm pretty well covered. Will see if I begin to favor using the thermal cooker or one of my dutch ovens. I think the thermal cooker may win for its ease of use, light weight, and fuel savings.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby katiehallsmith » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:58 am

I love to cook...at home or camping. I ADORE cooking outside. Planning and executing awesome meals is one of my favorite things to do on a campout. I have picked up 2 skillets, a saucepan, a larger pot at Goodwill...good, heavy formerly expensive cookware. :R

I have a dutch oven (10") and in the market for an 8".

I cook over coals, or on my antique coleman stove (2 burner) that was white gas but I converted to propane because I couldn't get the gas to work. If there is electric available a crock pot and electric skillet are nice to have.

We love big, fancy meals outdoors. Salmon, asparagus, baked goods, hearty stews, roasted hens, lots of fresh herbs....and wine. :wine:

well, wine for mommy, at least.

and we NEVER skip the s'mores!
Single mom to two adventurous kids, planning to build a teardrop trailer to head west to the national parks!
katiehallsmith
Donating Member

Postby AZ_Desert_Rat » Sun May 04, 2014 10:14 pm

Hi Slow,
I love to cook; I also love to camp out and relax ... So, to answer your questions:
-- I have a propane stove built in and I carry a small wood/charcoal BBQ ... it is heavy and is great for cooking on as well as a small fire pit when you just want to sit back and have an evening night cap by the fire. :beer:

-- I usually cook simple meals or warm prepared meals while out, but on occasion, I enjoy a good stew, especially when the weather is cooler. I am not an expert or even great cook with a DO, but some of my best stews came from a buried DO while out for a morning hunt and returning to a hot stew .. pull the DO dust it off add a few coals to the bottom, add a few dumplings on top of the stew, put the lid on, add a few coals to the top, wait 8-10 min and enjoy a hot stew with brown-top dumplings. 8)

-- Due to the limited space, I usually go simple and everything is cast iron except the griddle and the sauce pans ... Skillets: a 10", 6", and an oval one for burro-warming, Griddle: a 12" home-made griddle .. great for normal griddle stuff (pancakes, warming tortillas, french toast, etc.), Sauce Pans: a couple of S/S sauce pans, DO: a cast iron (charcoal) 10" DO for those occasional stews, biscuits, or a cure for the sweet tooth. :D

-- I like my morning coffee and listening to the pot perking in the morning reminds me of the times I camped out with my Dad. :D

I enjoy reading your posts and look forward to them ... :applause:

slowcowboy wrote:whats the camp stove or tool of choice?

do you take propane skillet or you can't boil coffee on a grill or do you do camp stove and do you use white gas or propane.

do you pack lots of pots and pans or do you just do it simple.

how do you do your camp cooking.

slow
Last edited by AZ_Desert_Rat on Fri May 09, 2014 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Camping & Building,
John (JC)

The Arizona Desert Rat 6x10' Cargo Conversion

The FunFinder a 19' Toy Hauler

An AZ Desert Transplant
Gallery: gallery/album.php?album_id=3168
AZ_Desert_Rat
500 Club

Postby Esteban » Mon May 05, 2014 2:35 pm

Last Saturday I attended a Red Barn concert in nearby Los Osos, CA. They have a potluck before the music starts. I brought a simple peach and blueberry cobbler. A line of people wanting some formed as soon as I peeled off the tin foil. I've BEEN TOLD to make the same thing the next time I come to the concert. I surely will.

Dustbowl Revival from Venice, CA put on a great show
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Racquetman » Mon May 05, 2014 7:00 pm

The peach and blueberry cobbler sounds good, and those guys are really GOOD!
Racquetman
Teardrop Master

Postby GerryS » Tue May 06, 2014 5:20 am

I'm not a cook by nature....I can throw a mean steak on the grill, and smoke the heck out of brisket or pork. I can maybe even work with onions and mushrooms, or asparagus. But cooking as in that stuff my wife loves to do....except for the simple stuff, forgetaboutit. Sorry, just watched Donnie Brasco.

But cooking while camping IS camping. PB&J in the outdoors? I guess everyone has their thing. But food prepared on a grill, outdoors, or on an open fire just makes the trip. Cleanup is a little harder, that's why I have a teardrop with grey tanks. In the tent camping days I might have agreed, but even there base camp had to have a bag of charcoal for those awful camping fire rings.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MegaFemaTron » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:49 am

A rocket stove and a wok. That's about it. :-) :twisted:
Cargo Trailer Conversion for the "Noir Collection" Photography Road Tour
Project Twitter: @akissfilmnoir
Project Website: http://www.akissfilmnoir.com
Project One-Page: http://www.akissfilmnoir.com/support/
MegaFemaTron
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bc toys » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:53 pm

to much to list, Esteban can you send me your recipe for cobbler
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby citylights » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:03 pm

My teardrop galley has a built in camp chef 2 burner propane stove on a slide out drawer. Frying pan, pot and coffee percolator in the cabinet. I carry a 20lb propane bottle.

If that isn't enough, I sometimes bring 8 and 12 inch Dutch Ovens and fire kit.

When cooking for large groups, I also have been known to bring a camp chef 2 burner portable propane stove with a steel griddle that covers it. That thing gets heavy, but you gotta love cooking on a flat iron grill!
citylights
500 Club

Postby Andymanout » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:02 pm

I am a simple thrifty experienced camp cook. My lovely bride will take the time and effort to make the bread and vegetables and I will tend to the main course. You see we each have our forte and it is best to stick to what you know. What I know best is charcoal grilling. From foil wrapped trout to a few well marbled T-bone steaks I have messed up enough to have learned how to protect my investment. May I submit for your consideration, my current favorite tool in my small arsenal of camping weapons of mealcraft! My most recent inexpensive addition to the ol' grill collection is the Masterbuilt 22.5 kettle grill. $59.00 at HD and worth every penny. I highly suggest the Weber flip side 22.5" grill to make this grill one for the ages.
Attachments
Masterbuilt 22.5 grill.jpg
Masterbuilt 22.5 grill.jpg (13 KiB) Viewed 6707 times
"Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature." I'm gonna do it in a teardrop.
Andymanout
Teardrop Builder

Postby dales133 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:28 pm

Id be lost without my weber kettles
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets