Koolatron's Kool Kaddy?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Koolatron's Kool Kaddy?

Postby KristyG5 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:31 pm

http://koolatrononline.stores.yahoo.net ... kaddy.html - Anyone have any experience with that electric cooler? I didn't know such a thing existed until it came inside our used trailer. Do they generally work well? I imagine in anything more than 70 degree weather we should still put ice in the box...that's alright, yeah?
Camping family of three... Image
KristyG5
Teardrop Builder

Re: Koolatron's Kool Kaddy?

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:10 am

The cools up to 40 degrees below ambient temperature is the key. I don't know enough about the mechanism inside to see how it would react to getting wet from additional ice. Reviews indicate it is not particularly well insulated. See the reviews http://www.amazon.com/Koolatron-P20-Com ... B00009PGNS

We have a Waeco refrigerator and on our month long trip our problem was keeping things from freezing. It worked beautifully with no fear of it getting too hot. This would have been a concern because its residence was in the back of our Subaru Outback wagon and when we stopped the interior would get well over 100 degrees. One of the things we discovered was that frozen "bag meals" were very handy when traveling. Pull into a camp site and ten minutes later dinner is ready, OK there was some set up time.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:26 pm

Cheap junk sold to truck drivers at places like pilot/loves truckstops. I bought one and it cooled stuff but never kept it cold and eventually it quit working after 6 months. For a lil more you can get a coleman one that works better.

Cliff :thumbsup:
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KristyG5 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:20 am

From the sound of things maybe we'll just stick with our regular ice cooler and sell this one on Craigslist :)
Camping family of three... Image
KristyG5
Teardrop Builder

Return to Camping Secrets