Plugging in to a tree

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Re: Plugging in to a tree

Postby bdosborn » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:48 pm

I know a lot of people will say that its not "real" camping if you use certain modern conveniences but I don't consider anything about camping in a trailer to be "real". In my mind, I haven't done any "real"camping since I hung up my backpack. So don't worry about what people say and put whatever you want in you trailer. My *opinion* is you might as well add shore power and go over to the dark side since you're most of the way there anyways. It's nice to be comfortable. :lol:
Or not, after all, it's your trailer. :thumbsup:
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Rlowell » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:55 pm

Here in Florida the summer heat is unbearable unless you have A/C and thus shore power. I built the Ketza with 110 only as all the camp grounds county/state or Federal all have power hook-ups. If some place does not, we do not go there. The small 5000 btu unit will freeze you out if you do not turn it down, but it is needed.

We finally cool down in mid October and right now we are quit chilly; and I have to work! Two weeks ago it was still hot with lots of bugs in Leesburg, Fl.

Trying to get out again in two weeks. :applause: :) ;)

Rod
Plan your work...work your plan...at least that's the plan. Oh, just do it anyway!
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1425&image_id=76342
Rlowell
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:30 am

The Road Pro pulls 6.7 amps http://www.amazon.com/Roadpro-12-Volt-F ... B0009Y2CFS
That strikes me as a hefty draw, some versions have a 30 to 45 min timer.
This argues for monitoring the battery closely as a few hours of use could really drain even a substantial deep cycle. The intent is obviously to use it only to take the chill off.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby bc toys » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:14 am

I got my blanket at the T/A truck stop they carry them it will run 2 nights on a fully charged battery. I'm looking into a way to build me a timer that will turn on and off on the hour. On lie 30 min and off for about 2 hr.
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby sleepy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:41 pm

I have not yet begun to build my teardrop but I'm reading and planning right now. My intention is to build and use the camper as tho it is a plywood pup-tent. No plumming. No propane hoses. No water tanks. No wiring. No built in electric lights. No electric fans. No built in sink. Right now I car camp and use a small tent. I use a one gallon water jug. A flashlight. A single burner portable propane stove. One skillet and one pot. One french-press coffee maker. I also do not want to use any, or very little factory make fittings. By this I mean aluminum moldings and trim strips. Anything that reminds me of factory made things. I intend to use a harbor freight frame to start with.

When I have been backpacking I've been impressed with how little one actually needs. Also How well you can see in the dark when your eyes are dark adapted. The campfire is usually just fine for everything like light. And a flashlight. The new LED lights make headlamps very good flashlight replacements. I hang up a flashlight by a short string inside the tent when needed. I'll do the same in the teardrop. The early 1930's homemade teardrops may have been similar to this minimalistic style. I'll have more money for gas and food too. But I really don't think many people would like this kind of thing. But for me it helps to give me the feeling of "now we are camping". RV-ing seems like a whole nother thing. No thanks.
Sleepy
sleepy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:04 pm

I have tent camped for 50 years and taking it with you and being very comfortable beats it all over the place :thumbsup: Unless you are a masochist :twisted: And yes I do know those that are in BDSM and in fact did my senior honors project on the physiology of abuse (long story) which had never been studied before.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Mukilteo » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:30 pm

To each their own. What ever works for them. :D
Me, I've gotten soft over the years and like the little fiddly bits that make it more comfortable.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby canned o minimum » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:02 pm

Personally, I like wilderness camping and like Slow says... ain't no electric trees out thar. But...when I do git to camp in a place WITH 110, I loves to decorate with lites and such and usually have sum sorta theme goin on in camp to look at and enjoy.

My teardrop( now sold) had 110 and with it , I mostly only used it fer outside lighting and inside fer reading.

One a these days Imma check into that solar stuff....
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mukilteo » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:15 pm

Hmmm, where's the sagebrush with the outlet?
I still prefer boon-docking.
The sad part is now I have the van, I can't get to this spot.
Not enough ground clearance. Got one dry creek to cross and a steep hill climb.
My little 4X4 Nissan pickup had no problem with it.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:30 am

Very Very appropriate for this topic.......

I posted this 11-4-2008 and if you have read it I appologize but for the rest of you here is the post reposted....

At our fall Salamonie Lake gathering I told John Spratt about my 1st boy scout experience without power. Our Scout master Ed Forester (no kidding) asked us Scouts to find him a tree that had been hit by lightning. We scattered 4 - 5 directions and were to report back in 5 - 10 minutes. Well a tree WAS located ( Probably an old elm with blight) . The top was ratty and blasted out so Mr Forester said that it indeed had sustained a lightning strike. After his speach to convince us he pulled out his hunting knife and carved 2 small slits in the tree trunk and from a pouch he then produced his electric razor. He inserted the power cord into the 2 slots that had been carved, turned on his razor and started to shave to the total and absolute amazement of 10 - 12 of us 1st year scouts.

At my age now , I bet he had packed extra batteries :roll:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets