Biodegradable Soaps???

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Biodegradable Soaps???

Postby KCStudly » Thu May 02, 2013 3:25 pm

Where we're going there is no shower, toilet, nor public wash sink; just a pit toilet (Shunkie).

Dad always had us use biodegradable soap while camping back in the day to reduce our footprint on the natural habitat.

My wife was in the beauty business for umpteen odd years and has fairly sensitive skin. She is also concerned that she will not be able to survive a week unless she can pamper herself with her traditional smorgasbord of products.

I would love for you to tell me what you use for soap (dish, hand, shampoo) and/or conditioner while camping remotely. What do you use and why do you prefer it to other products?

Thanks.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Re: Biodegradable Soaps???

Postby Fyddler » Thu May 02, 2013 6:06 pm

I have always used "Camping Suds" for everything, personal hygiene, dishes. I'm fairly sensitive, but never had a problem.
To err is human, to really foul up requires a computer

Build Log: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55017
Fyddler
The 300 Club

Postby kirkman » Thu May 02, 2013 6:17 pm

Fyddler wrote:I have always used "Camping Suds" for everything, personal hygiene, dishes. I'm fairly sensitive, but never had a problem.

Same here it has always worked for me!
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Thu May 02, 2013 7:04 pm

We always have used Dr. Bronner's soap when camping. Works for everything and doesn't need water.

Linky

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu May 02, 2013 8:29 pm

Thank you all. Camp Suds was instantly recognizable as what dad had used! Thanks for that memory!

The Dr. Bronner's also looks interesting, and the fragrances are right up my wife's alley (if I can say that in public). :o
Last edited by KCStudly on Mon May 06, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GerryS » Thu May 02, 2013 9:02 pm

We make our own soaps right here at home...no dyes, no artificial fragrances just milk, oil, water, and a catalyst ... You can research cold process soaps on your own.....

Probably not cheaper than off the shelf....but it's nice to know what's in something you put on your skin every day...
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun May 05, 2013 1:47 pm

I have used Dr. Bronner's for decades. It is good stuff and if you get bored setting around the camp the containers do have some interesting reading. The quarts are better reading. You sill just have to get some to see what I mean. I use it for shampoo ( what hair is left ) and for shaving, when I shave. But a week is nothing for me to skip getting totally cleaned up. Heck if every one in camp smells to high heaven no one will notice.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby robertey » Mon May 13, 2013 4:06 pm

I have found most biodegradeable soaps to be very mild. The really harsh irritating stuff has got to be the stuff with the names a mile long on the label.

Also, a word of warning on that Dr Bronner's. It's great, and I use it all the time, but I would not want it to be my only soap. If you use it down south, it's more than a little brisk... :lol: Great way to perk yourself up in the morning when you miss your coffee.
robertey
Donating Member

Postby ladyliz » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:18 pm

KCStudly wrote:Thank you all. Camp Suds was instantly recognizable as what dad had used! Thanks for that memory!

The Dr. Bronner's also looks interesting, and the fragrances are right up my wife's alley (if I can say that in public). :o

Thumbs up for Dr. Bronner's - And the scents. Ohhh. Lavender. Eucalyptus. And the peppermint gives you "tingly bits!" lol.
ladyliz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PKCSPT » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:42 am

:lol: Randy, my thoughs too. If everyone smells the same who notices?
I use Dr Bonners but I find it doesn't get along well with my hair. The lavender is my favorite.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby Patti » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:41 pm

Another vote for Dr Bronners. I love the lavender and the rose scents, and also use the citrus for a lot of stuff.
Patti
Teardrop Builder

Postby kudzu » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:36 am

Funny, I just bought a bottle of Dr Bronner's to take on our long trip for general washing, clothes, dishes, hands, etc. Choose the peppermint because peppermint has traditionally been used to repel insects. No idea if it will really help there but seemed worth a try. Also, got a bar of the lavender for face & body washing. Hopefully the Peppermint will play well with my hair, but I'm bringing my regular shampoo along also for stops with full shower service.

As an experiment I tried the liquid Dr Bronner's in my foaming soap dispenser, 1 part Bronner's to 3 parts water. It works great but I likely could have diluted it a little more. Will probably bring that dispenser on the trip. It greatly limits the amount of water needed for hand washing.
kudzu
Donating Member

Postby Patti » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:56 am

You can go 8-to-1 on the foam dispenser. If you don't dilute, the Dr Bronners will grow thick and stop it up.

I often pick up my foam dispenser with DrB to squirt onto a dish or into a pan when I'm washing by hand. Seems to do a better job than squirting diluted DrB from the dishsoap bottle and definitely uses less.

DrB doesn't do well on my hair. That's the one place I'll have to be less green.
Patti
Teardrop Builder

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:30 pm

My last order from Dr. Bronner I got one of their bar soaps to try out. I expected it to be kind of soft and not long lasting. I was wrong. It may out last a bar of Lava bar soap.

I have sensitive skin and have to be careful of soap and D. Bronner's if good for me. I like the peppermint and if it might repel bugs that is good. Could explain why I have few mosquito bites.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:11 pm

Home made bar and liquid soap.
No scents because we don't like them.
I usually make small batches in fall and spring.
Very biodegradable, no long lasting chemicals to pollute land and waterways.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Next

Return to Camping Secrets