Potty Question

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Potty Question

Postby Oldragbaggers » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:08 pm

Does anyone use this Cleanwaste Go Anywhere PETT toilet system?

We have a traditional marine porta-potty that you have to add the water and chemicals to, but we thought maybe it would be nice to be able to dispense with the whole "dumping" chore. I've read some reviews but I would like to hear from you folks if anyone has one.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Re: Potty Question

Postby PKCSPT » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:27 am

What timing, I was just looking at this very same one.

Doesn't look real sturdy but I may try it anyway.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:38 am

I don't know about that particular brand; but, the two things that I would be careful of with that open type with legs are:

- They are known to develop cracks in the legs so that the legs break at the most inopportune time.
- If a waste bag leaks or breaks, there is nothing to catch the fluids.

If you can get either a luggable loo or make one out of a bucket and potty seat, you might be better off.
If not or if you are buying that style for its compact storing properties, simply check the legs each time you set it up for use.
As far as the bag leaking? I've only had one, two-bag system spring a leak all the way through both bags and I think that one had help from a practical joker.

For ease of use and disposal, I really like the bag system.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby dmb90260 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:42 am

I had one in the teardrop and made a base that served as a storage unit and raised it enough to make it more user friendly for old legs.
Sold the teardrop and the Pett now lives in my vintage trailer, it has served me well.
I was having some plumbing work done at home one day and needed to use the facilities. Instead of going to
the neighbors I utilized the Pett inside the trailer... and the TV was right there too. :D
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:58 pm

Thanks everyone, for the info.

Sharon, I don't always believe the advertising, but this company claims that this potty holds a 500 pound person. Can that be possible for plastic parts, one wonders?? But even if it holds half that, we will be covered. As far as the broken bags, I guess I could place some other kind of liner in there before placing the disposable bag in it....just in case.

Dennis, one question.....are those legs as hard to open and close as some of the reviews say??

I know nothing is perfect, but we have used the standard marine porta-potty for many, many years, and while they serve the purpose very well (and I already have one....) I have never enjoyed the task of dumping and cleaning them. Yuk. If there is a better option out there, I am definitely interested.
Becky

Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:33 pm

Yes, Becky, the legs should hold up well and probably would hold a 500 pound person or they wouldn't dare say that.
I'm talking about as the plastic ages, not right away. Some plastics will age and deteriorate with time.
Just watch for cracking on the legs; and, if you never see any, you'll be good to "go" for as long as you need to! :roll: :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby dmb90260 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:45 am

Oldragbaggers wrote:Thanks everyone, for the info.

Dennis, one question.....are those legs as hard to open and close as some of the reviews say??

Not that I recall but I have had this one for 6 years, newer models may be different.
If you elect to make a booster. storage box be sure to have rails on the top so the Pett does not slide off :shock:
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:55 am

dmb90260 wrote:
Oldragbaggers wrote:Thanks everyone, for the info.

Not that I recall but I have had this one for 6 years, newer models may be different.
If you elect to make a booster. storage box be sure to have rails on the top so the Pett does not slide off :shock:

Thanks for that heads up!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Becky

Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:12 pm

I have often considered the pETT. I really like the foldability. Currently have the reliance one. Is mot real sturdy, but i rarely use it , so i went cheap. Let us know your review, becky if u get it
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby Rainier70 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:34 pm

I looked at this one ---- http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Products ... ble+toilet ----- and almost got it, but ended up with the Luggable Loo as it was available locally. So far the Loo has worked well, but is obviously not as compact to store and transport as the fold up models.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:52 am

In a word NO!

I can see a fat man picking plastic shardes out of a tender side of me.

As the king of cheap I simply grabbed a 7 gallon bucket ( handicap height) and screwed on a used (and sanatized) wood seat to a lid I had cut the center out of. I had an additional lid if needed to transport. Double bagged it with the tall kitchen bags trapped them in the lid to bucket seal and you are "GOOD TO GO !"

P.S. A little saw dust or scented kitty litter is a good addition.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Rainier70 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:24 am

I agree with BobHenry, no matter which one you get add some absorbent/deodorant material to it for use. I like peat moss, but I haven't compared it to anything else.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:52 am

PS. With either the water or the bag system, you still have to dump the stuff. The difference is that one, you do when it is full and maybe spill a little of the nasty stuff when you dump it. The other, is totally contained, 99.9 percent of the time and you dump it daily, bag and all.

BobHenry, I've perched on one of those home-made buckets. They break, too. Don't ask me how I know.... :oops: Keep an eye open for wear cracks.
(Maybe that's why Droid wants to build a wooden one.)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:21 am

S. Heisley wrote:
BobHenry, I've perched on one of those home-made buckets. They break, too. Don't ask me how I know.... :oops: Keep an eye open for wear cracks.
(Maybe that's why Droid wants to build a wooden one.)

I bet the one that broke did not have the lid in place at the time. I have load tested to 320 pounds standing on them as a foot stool and never had one buckle or fail with the lid on it. Without the lid yes I have been pitched off.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby cheri832 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:19 pm

BobHenry,
After seeing your walker tables, you inspired me to look at my neighborhood thrift store for ideas. I found a "bedside commode" with the push button adjustable legs (that come out for easy packing). It has support arms, Holds up to 350 lbs, adjustable height, works with bags, and all breaks down to fit in a 24" x 24" x 6" bag I made (that also holds my popup). I would never have thought of it without seeing some of your ideas. And the best part.... It cost me $12. :D

I'm sorry to jump in on your conversation but all of you are becoming a part of my life.... even though I mostly read about your adventures.
Cheri
Cheri
cheri832
Donating Member

Next

Return to Camping Secrets