Ice blocks

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Ice blocks

Postby ukuleleblues » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:44 pm

I wanted to use some ice blocks when I go camping, but every time I make them they split the container. I tried using gallon bags this time. I found a plastic container than has a nice taper (narrower at the bottom). I filled the gallon bag up but left some room for the ice to expand and dropped the bag in the container in the freezer. The bag keeps the ice from sticking to the plastic and splitting it. Plus you can pull the bag out and store in the freezer while you make more blocks. You don't have to wait for it to be totally solid to pull it out of the container, just frozen enough to hold shape while it gets solid. Plus the bag should keep the water from getting everything soggy in the cooler. More compact than a milk jug too. Thought I'd pass it on.
ukuleleblues
Teardrop Builder

Re: Ice blocks

Postby len19070 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:15 am

Block ice is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned.

And yes I had the same problem splitting the container (I used Hospital wash basins)

The way I made it work was a bit of a PITA but I would fill 2 basins 1/2 full and only leave them in the container in the freezer for about 12 hours.

I would then pop the ice blocks out of the containers and just set the blocks on the freezer racks without the basins.

The ice really seemed to expand after it was left in the containers for an extended amount of time.

You may have to play with the 12 hour timing but thats the way my freezer works.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby trek2300 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:50 am

I like going the drinking water jug route. They are bulkier but they also make for a nice cup of cold water as they melt.
trek2300
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:59 am

We have used Blocks for years now We keep it in the bag it came in. We usually return with some left an put it in the freezer for next time. We use 2 coolers one with the block of ice and the stuff we want to use in the camp. We keep that one in the camper and the other rides in the car. it offers frozen water bottles we can drink as we head up, adding ice and foods that are less likely to spoil, snacks in containers, sweet drinks in bags or bottles, We also putt froz water bottles in the less opened cooler for so we will have cold water for some time.

Once we stayed in owns valley up high they had bear boxes that were dark brown and the heat killed half our food next time we plan to bring a reflective cover for the bear box so we will not have to eat out. 8)

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby ukuleleblues » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:12 pm

Just got back from 4 days (got rained out) the ice blocks were abut 3/4 melted, so I put them back in the freezer for next time. Definitely better than bag ice.
ukuleleblues
Teardrop Builder

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:06 pm

The biggest problem with making your own ice in jugs comes with extended trips. My last trip was three weeks on the road, and after the ice melted I had to drag the empty containers around with me for the next 2-1/2 weeks :thumbdown:

I found block ice about 1/2 the times I needed to purchase ice, and had to use cubes the rest of the time. As I said in the other ice block thread, I put my food in basins that sit on top of the blocks of ice, and float on the melt water.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby len19070 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:01 am

GuitarPhotog wrote:The biggest problem with making your own ice in jugs comes with extended trips. My last trip was three weeks on the road, and after the ice melted I had to drag the empty containers around with me for the next 2-1/2 weeks :thumbdown:
<Chas>
:beer:

I found the same problem using the "Blue Ice", which by the way work very well.. For a weekend there great....But for anything over 4 days there a PITA.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Bogo » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:18 pm

I use orange juice cartons. Clean them out well, you need to open the tops up to get the folds cleaned out. Then I freeze my water in them. They bulge a little, and when they have melted, I pitch them... I've also used 1/2 gallon and gallon milk jugs. I have a bunch of them in the freezer right now. Initially I only fill the jugs around 70% full so there is some room for expansion. When frozen I add some more water and freeze that.
Bogo
500 Club

Postby desertrat9 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:04 pm

I was reading where using salt water in your milk jugs is supposed to freeze at a lower temperature and last longer. I tried it a while back but then got distracted and did not notice if there was any increase in the "staying frozen" time or not. Has anyone else had experience with this? Live and camp in the desert and any added time is a bonus.
Ever consider what our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from the grocery store with the most amazing haul - chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth! - Ann Tyler

It's opener out there - In the wide open air - Dr. Seuss
desertrat9
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Fyddler » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:36 pm

Salt will make the ice freeze and melt at a lower temp, but not necessarily make the ice be a lower temp. Once water (or salt water) freezes it continues to get colder, so pure water ice melts at 32deg, the water around the ice will be 32deg, the ice may be quite colder. So the salt water will be lower than 32(depending on the amount of salt). I'd have to think about the benefits. Couldn't hurt.
To err is human, to really foul up requires a computer

Build Log: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55017
Fyddler
The 300 Club

Postby Quadriderdad » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:45 pm

Milk jugs for me. Don't fill them all the way. The trick is to have them frozen for several weeks. One or two days just doesn't get them solid enough to last very long. AND they have a handle! I just put them right back in the freezer when I get home. :) those I use these in my food cooler. Pop, beer and bottle water go in the crushed ice cooler.
Quadriderdad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby PKCSPT » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:54 pm

My cooler is a smaller one so I use frozen water bottles. They still have ice in them after two days which is as long as I need.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby razorback » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:00 pm

This is what I use. very slim. holds 1 1/4 gallons or about 10 lbs.
I lay one on the bottom of my small chest and in my larger chest I use two of them standing up.
works well for me
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Arrow-H2O-1.2 ... e/15915152
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby lilgription » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:48 pm

Plastic milk jugs here. but like stated let them freeze for at least a week. Seems that the longer they are frozen the longer they last
lilgription
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Tripmaker » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:26 am

I have read that if you are going to make block ice to fill the bottles and let them sit for a day before freezing with the top off. This allows excess air to leave the water and make for a more solid block. Filling from the tap creates air bubbles in the water. For weekends I just re freeze the same bottles and water. For longer trips the main cooler doesn't get used till we arrive at our destination and buy food.
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Next

Return to Camping Secrets