Firewood? Charcoal?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Firewood? Charcoal?

Postby tscarbroughdc » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:35 pm

What do most of you do for fire where you set up camp?

Do you take firewood with you? Buy it somewhere when you get where you are going? Use an alternative?

I'll have my TD totally complete in a few weeks and am wondering.
tscarbroughdc
Teardrop Master

Re: Firewood? Charcoal?

Postby KCStudly » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:41 pm

A lot of places/states have restrictions against transporting firewood due to beetles and other invasive bugs.

Charcoal is safe, or collect naturally downed wood on site where feasible.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby tscarbroughdc » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:52 pm

So do most campgrounds have firewood for sale?
tscarbroughdc
Teardrop Master

Postby Redneck Teepee » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:16 pm

All of the Oregon State Campgrounds that I have been to sell firewood on site, California you have to bring your own.
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:50 pm

Here in the west the big issue is the mountain pine beetle. Debarking is one solution as is storing the dried wood under a roof / cover for two years or more. Heat treatment to 160 F is also an option but mainly a commercial thing. We have such a back log of cut pine we have no problem with the time factor. When that dry the bark all but falls off itself. Other areas have other insects with other treatments and or restrictions. I've read that in some places firewood movement is restricted to a 50 mile radius.

On the other hand we have been in such bad drought conditions for years in the west that I have almost forgotten what a campfire is. :(
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby jseyfert3 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:15 am

tscarbroughdc wrote:So do most campgrounds have firewood for sale?

Illinois does not, Minnesota does. I think it depends on the state. But when camping in state parks, whether or not they sell firewood, there seems to be a place nearby that sells it, and has signs posted on roads traveled to get to the park.
jseyfert3
Teardrop Master

Postby rowerwet » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:57 am

Up here in New England campgrounds sell firewood, so does every local with a chainsaw and splitter, the locals will have a better deal most of the time
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:28 am

Why carry firewood, charcoal or purchase firewood?
We have a Camp Chef propane campfire and it's so easy and doesn't take up much space since it comes in a nice bag.
Don't have to sit out in the rain since we have it under our canopy that's cranked up to the highest position.
Others my not wish :NC to burn fuel under a flammable canopy.
We use a 5# propane tank that will last for a few hours/nights.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby tscarbroughdc » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:23 pm

Hey Danny that little red campfire looks like the way to go!!!!

No charcoal OR firewood and it gets a ton of great reviews on amazon!

My next concern would be carrying around a 20# propane tank with me everywhere I go.

Is that safe to carry around in the back of a truck or back of the TD?
tscarbroughdc
Teardrop Master

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:41 pm

We have two 5 pound propane tanks in our tongue box, one for the stove and the other for the campfire.
Their very secure & not in any danger of rolling around or getting hit by a rear end collision.
A 20 pounder is just too much to lug around for a teardrop.
Every town seems to have a propane dealer for refilling.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby KCStudly » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:59 pm

There was a thread not too long ago reminding us all that propane bottles need to be stowed in an accessible area (no locked compartments) and IIRC at a certain size the bottle needs to be completely vented to the outside (feel free to check me on this detail). That is way you usually see them secured openly on the tongue, with perhaps just a simple shroud to dress them up. If in the back of a p/u truck, strap securely so it can't move. For passenger car, there is some preferred travel cage arrangement, that the propane industry give some details on, that allows you to carry on the floor behind the front seats, but I think that is restricted to short distances from supplier to home, and they advise keeping a window down, no storage in the vehicle.

Perhaps someone can help remember the thread where these specs were cited, as my memory may not be concise.

IMNSHO, common sense (although not always too common) suggests that a secured bottle (bolted, clamped and/or locked at the base flange) mounted outside and in a location where it is less likely to become damaged in an accident (on the tongue... I'm not a fan of off road style fender mounts) would be the best practice.
:thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:14 pm

Like Danny, I use a propane fire ring instead of building a camp fire. Much easier in the rain.

My 20# propane tank is strapped down on the cargo tray on the tongue, so it's out of the way, and completely ventilated. I just move it once, to the rear of the trailer by the cooler stand, and swap the regulators between fire ring and stove. I don't power my coleman lantern from the 20# tank because having the hose hanging down is inconvenient and awkward.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Catherine+twins » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:38 pm

We have bark beetle here in NM, so transporting fire wood with bark on is discouraged. The camp grounds I frequent (National Forest and a few stat parks) don't have firewood for sale. My firewood is mostly trimmings from my fruit trees, a maple that is throwing a lot of root sprouts, and a couple of big old ponderosa pines. When I grill something outside in the spring and summer, I put a few extra logs on after the food is cooked, cover the kettle, and char the outside of the logs. Then I can call my wood "natural charcoal" when I get to a campground. The charred wood is pine-bark beetle free (well, half of it is apple, so that is beetle free anyway!) and safe to burn anywhere. Otherwise, I buy charcoal. But with fire restrictions from May until November, it's mostly theoretical anyway! My fallback is a Coleman stove or a Global Sun Oven.

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby Kens » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:53 am

I carry fireplace logs or compressed bricks. Clean and easy to start.
Good day every day!
Kens
500 Club

Postby tscarbroughdc » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:22 pm

What are fireplace logs and compressed bricks? Are the fire logs fake and so you burn the compressed bricks? I don't understand.
tscarbroughdc
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Camping Secrets