New Charcoal *Alternative* Product - Test Results

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

New Charcoal *Alternative* Product - Test Results

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:19 pm

BIC has come out with a new product, an aluminum-enclosed disk filled with charcoal alternative fuel that fits very comfortably inside the table-top model of the Smokey Joe barbecue or other such cooker. You just take it out of the box and lay it on the bottom grid of your cooker and light it. When you are done and it has cooled, take it out and toss it. It looks like it might have some good applications for some of us. It is about 8" wide and about 1" tall. It costs about $4.50 for one; but, right now, there is a $2.00 coupon inside the box, good when you purchase two more. ...just thought I'd let you know, for your possible, occasional "clean" usage. (This wouldn't work for dutch oven users.)

PS. It's made in America!
Last edited by S. Heisley on Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Re: New Charcoal Product

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:03 am

Interesting, but I am to cheap.

:lol: :lol: Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:26 am

fire and aluminum on my food, I won't do that. Aluminum gets into the food and then into your body, lots of research showing aluminum is the cause for brain related old age problems.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:12 am

For a quick convenience once and awhile I could see doing this. But not as a regular thing. I usually bring a 5 gallon bucket with charcoal on my trips.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:21 pm

Oh, dear.... I have to admit that I was WRONG!

It’s not a new charcoal product. It’s a charcoal alternative. The disk is filled with ethanol made from corn. Ah, well.... I don’t think the aluminum is a problem because that is on the lower grid and the steaks were on a separate grilling surface above that; so, the steaks didn’t actually come in contact with the aluminum. I don’t know if the corn-based ethanol is a problem or not but I doubt it. If anybody knows for certain, please let me know. (Thanks.)

Tonight, I became the guinea pig as I tried that little disk out. I followed the instructions to a ‘T’ and barbecued some rib-eye steaks for 5 minutes on each side. Were they good? They had a lovely charcoal-like crust on the outside and were the perfect dark pink inside, for a steak done to Medium. The taste was good, too.

The flames are supposed to last about 40 minutes. I didn't intentionally time the disk; but, I started at about 5:30 and, when I looked at 6:18, the flames were out and the fuel was used up. I could see having one of these on hand for those times when charcoal is gone or running low or you're on a camp trip and don't want to waste time or cleaning effort. The only thing I had to clean was the food grill that the steaks sat on. This product seems pretty convenient.
Sorry, I can’t show you the results. It was yummy and went in my tummy...without delay! :Flippin Burger: (Besides, my camera is still broken.)

When I took the disk out of the package, there were instructions on the top covering of the disk. So, I pulled that off, washed and dried it and scanned it in, in case you want to see that part.

S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Re: New Charcoal *Alternative* Product - Test Results

Postby working on it » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:45 pm

It should be marketed as a two-pak with Jiffy Pop
jiffy_pop.jpg
jiffy_pop.jpg (37.15 KiB) Viewed 6607 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:57 pm

working on it wrote:It should be marketed as a two-pak with Jiffy Pop
jiffy_pop.jpg

HaHaHaHa! ...Good one~ :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby rowerwet » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:17 am

working on it wrote:It should be marketed as a two-pak with Jiffy Pop
jiffy_pop.jpg

red neck fire alarm...
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby the other side » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:03 am

I think that's spelled, redneck "far" alarm! LOL ;)
the other side
The 300 Club

Postby jstrubberg » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:33 pm

Seems like a lot of packaging to me. Charcoal doesn't leave me anything to throw away, although it's definitely messier!

Glad it worked well.
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:47 pm

:lol: The box got recycled. Yes, I agree. I would think that they could market it without the box. The Jiffy Pop doesn't need no stinkin' box!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby zekemedic » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:17 pm

Glad you had a good experience with the Flame Disk - I wasn't so lucky :(
In my case it caught the BBQ's paint on fire! :shock:
my "little red" portable round BBQ had 36" high flames emanating from its burning paint - needless to say after I put out the fire with 2gal of water, I tossed out the steaks along with the now extinguished flame disk. Now my BBQ has to be repainted as it was burned right down to bare metal, & I had just bought the BBQ new this summer - Grrr!
zekemedic
Teardrop Inspector

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:40 pm

zekemedic wrote:Glad you had a good experience with the Flame Disk - I wasn't so lucky :(
In my case it caught the BBQ's paint on fire! :shock:
my "little red" portable round BBQ had 36" high flames emanating from its burning paint - needless to say after I put out the fire with 2gal of water, I tossed out the steaks along with the now extinguished flame disk. Now my BBQ has to be repainted as it was burned right down to bare metal, & I had just bought the BBQ new this summer - Grrr!

:shock: I'm sorry to hear that you had such a terrible episode with your Flame Disk! Assuming directions were followed, that shouldn't happen. I would send the complaint to BiC and see if they'll pay for a new BBQ. It sounds like that product may not be on the shelves for long!

:thinking: Then again, maybe you should send a complaint to the company that made your BBQ. The paint on a BBQ shouldn't catch fire so easily.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Camping Secrets