Simple Shower

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Simple Shower

Postby Rainier70 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:09 pm

I don't know if this has been mentioned before. I saw a post on it in the Exp. Portal Forum. It is a simple shower head that will screw on to just about any 1 or 2 liter bottle.
It also fits some water bladders like Platypus. If you are interested, here is the post from the inventor: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... ght=shower

Looks like a great gadget that will be useful for backpacking and car camping.

Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Simple Shower

Postby Epbowen » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:21 am

Looks like it is pretty cool!
Epbowen
Teardrop Advisor

Postby M C Toyer » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:17 am

I can remember back some 60 years ago when Mom used a very similar device when ironing clothes, especially those that were starched. This was before steam irons and spray starch. It had a cork base which was pressed into a glass Coke bottle which was easy to hold. This was long before plastic bottles which can be squeezed. She would just shake out a few sprinkles or drops at a time.

As the risk of starting an old fogey thread I also remember those metal pants stretchers which were slipped down the legs while hanging on the clothesline (remember those) and when dry the pants would stand up on there own. Then Mom would attack them with the hot iron and water to try to smooth the inevitable lumps.
M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Postby Olddog1 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:46 am

While hiking it is nice to freshen up in the evening before climbing into the hammock. I carry 2 1l smartwater bottles but use the sip caps off the 1/2 l. I took the regular cap and drilled a dozen tiny holes in the cap. Makes a handy lightweight shower head on the 1 l bottle and the weight is almost nothing.
Olddog1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Alleged User » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:56 pm

Ordered one of these for about 10 bucks from Amazon today.

Simple Shower on Amazon

Been looking for a simple (read: cheap) shower solution for times when the shower facilities are scuzzy or unavailable. Excited to check this out.

:SG
Kelly & Duke
2011 ZZ Drop
Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy. - Eskimo proverb
Alleged User
Donating Member

Location: Northern Virginia...not to be confused with Virginia.

Postby angib » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:36 pm

It looks like a nice idea, but with a couple of drawbacks:
- you have to wash with one hand while using the other to hold the bottle over your head
- a 2 litre bottle must give, what, 10 seconds of water?
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby PKCSPT » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:53 pm

It would be enough to wash off some of the sweat and bug spray. Wouldn't be to hard to create a hanger for it from a tree or shower tent
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:45 am

I've had the link in my signature for quite a while now, the 2 liter bottle will take care of a quick "marine" shower, wet down, soap up, rinse off. If you need more line up the two liter bottles full of water and change the head
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:06 pm

I ordered one from Amazon and got it the other day. I tested it with a 1 liter bottle and I think it will work great for me for times like when I am at my hunt camp (true DIY campsite) and I think it will work great for my navy showers. Wish I had thought of it. But I think it is over priced by 2X, but I also think, I would order it again.

And it did immediately remind me of my mother's ironing days. In fact, I might have used one of those ironing bottles once or twice myself. And giving my age away, I also remember the pant's stretchers.

Bob
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Olddog1 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:18 pm

The bottle cap is like the submarine showers we took in the navy. Wet down, wash, then rinse. I can get it done with 1/2 l of water but then I also use the rinse free soap. Just feels better rinsing it off and then the plus of climbing in the hammock with no cooking odors all over me and the clothes. Plus it doesn't even register on my scale.
Olddog1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jstrubberg » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:17 am

Seems like a pump up sprayer would be a lot easier.
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby lrrowe » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:02 am

While taking the actual shower, you might be right, but I think this will work very well, will not take up a lot of space and can be grabbed and used quickly. And I think many things have their place and many times compliment each other.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby warnmar10 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:56 pm

M C Toyer wrote:...
As the risk of starting an old fogey thread I also remember those metal pants stretchers which were slipped down the legs while hanging on the clothesline (remember those) and when dry the pants would stand up on there own. ...
I'm not old enough to remember anything 60 years ago but I still use those. You can find them at Vermont Country Store.
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." - Jonathan Swift
warnmar10
Teardrop Master

Postby rowerwet » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:13 pm

M C Toyer wrote:I can remember back some 60 years ago when Mom used a very similar device when ironing clothes,
This was long before plastic bottles which can be squeezed.

actually you don't squeeze the bottle, the difference between this an a regular old soda bottle lid with tiny holes drilled in it is a small tube inserted into the center of the shower lid, just inverting the bottle starts the shower.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:24 pm

warnmar10 wrote:
M C Toyer wrote:...
As the risk of starting an old fogey thread I also remember those metal pants stretchers which were slipped down the legs while hanging on the clothesline (remember those) and when dry the pants would stand up on there own. ...
I'm not old enough to remember anything 60 years ago but I still use those. You can find them at Vermont Country Store.

I remember that my mom had a set of those metal pants stretchers. She wouldn't use them on the clothesline outside but she used it on the clothesline in the basement a couple times. They didn't work very well and those metal frames just sort of "disappeared" one day....
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Camping Secrets