Planning for a long (3+ weeks) trip

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Re: Planning for a long (3+ weeks) trip

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:45 am

I saw that! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Crabapple » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:05 pm

Well...too late for this trip but here is my suggestion for the future; invest in a food dehydrator. You can make your favourite meals at home ahead of time and dehydrate them. The meals are compact, light weight, keep a very long time without any refrigeration required, and when rehydrated taste just like they did when you made it fresh!!
What I typically do is for a few weeks ahead of a trip I make a large pot or wok full of a favourite dish, have it for dinner, then dehydrate the leftovers. I store the meals in double bagged zip lock sandwich bags. A sandwich size bag of dehydrated dinner will feed 2 people when rehydrated.
My camping background consist mostly of a great many years of wilderness canoe tripping where you have to paddle & portage everything, and obviously no refrigeration and no "stopping at the store". A dehydrator is essential to quality eats for extended back country canoe or hiking trips!
Crabapple
Teardrop Advisor

Postby deceiver » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:31 am

We're campers. Keep a small supply of stuff that can be cooked on a stove. i.e. beans, spaghetti sauce, Whatever you need. Then as you travel, about an hour before stopping for the night, find a grocery store and pick up something for the fire. An example might be Chicken breast, cuke, ear of corn, cucumber. Do the meat and corn on the fire and the rest is cold. Or the right amount of hamburg and rolls from the deli dept. No cooler needed and no waste. Just what you need. If you don't travel that day or can't shop, or don't find a store, well, you've got your backup stuff.
Conform and be dull.
deceiver
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets