Feral dogs in Native American tribal lands

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Feral dogs in Native American tribal lands

Postby Joe4Camping » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:43 am

I am planning a camping trip in September to Monument Valley, with my wife and our 15 lb dog. I have read that packs of feral dogs can be a problem when visiting tribal areas. Has anyone experienced problems while camping with dogs in tribal lands?

Also, any suggestions for dog-friendly hikes and/or parks in New Mexico or Utah would be greatly appreciated. We're in North Carolina, so we'll need to plan carefully, especially with a dog in tow.

Thanks!
Joe4Camping
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Feral dogs in Native American tribal lands

Postby Woodbutcher » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:56 am

We were in Monument Valley Tribal Park last June. I never saw any dogs of any kind running lose. Unless you let your dog run free I can't imagine anywhere you would run the risk of an attack. Since dogs need to be leashed everywhere you go anyhow the risk of a bit from another campers dog is probably a greater threat.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:53 pm

We spent over a month bouncing around that country and never saw or heard of feral dog problems.

It's a horrible place to play. :o But didn't camp on the rez.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:07 am

Fabulous pics, as always, Tony. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:51 am

KCStudly wrote:Fabulous pics, as always, Tony. :thumbsup:

Get cracking on the PCE. Life runs out and there are really cool places to go. ;)

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Joe4Camping » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:05 pm

Thanks everyone, for the re-assuring feedback. And Tony, REALLY great inspirational pics!
Joe4Camping
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:35 pm

slowcowboy wrote:here in the wind river indian reservation in Wyoming white man are not even allowed on tribal lands good way to get cited for treaspassing. also its a crime ridden place full of drug trafficking and yea not even a good place to be at times in a propane truck. so we don't experance any of the local reservation here unless we buy a 80 dollar res fishing perment and go up in the wind river moutains to just fish on tribal land there is no tribal camping here at all. and as for feral dogs us propane men keep our hoses on our trucks handy to hose them down. and yea .............oh well. I also packed my tire chain t bar to to hold out at arms length when I got out of my propane truck....... :? not a fun place best to just buzz though on your way to lander far better more funner places in Wyoming than the local res ghettos. I got tons of far better safe places to camp in my state! :D slow.

But Slow:

Isn't Sheriff Walt Longmire keeping the lid on the boiling pot? :frightened:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:05 pm

tony.latham wrote:But Slow:

Isn't Sheriff Walt Longmire keeping the lid on the boiling pot? :frightened:

T

Yup, I saw him hard at work just last night. :chicken:
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby alaska teardrop » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:36 pm

slowcowboy wrote:here in the wind river indian reservation in Wyoming white man are not even allowed on tribal lands good way to get cited for treaspassing. also its a crime ridden place full of drug trafficking and yea not even a good place to be at times in a propane truck. so we don't experance any of the local reservation here unless we buy a 80 dollar res fishing perment and go up in the wind river moutains to just fish on tribal land there is no tribal camping here at all. and as for feral dogs us propane men keep our hoses on our trucks handy to hose them down. and yea .............oh well. I also packed my tire chain t bar to to hold out at arms length when I got out of my propane truck....... :? not a fun place best to just buzz though on your way to lander far better more funner places in Wyoming than the local res ghettos. I got tons of far better safe places to camp in my state! :D slow.

Ya right, Slowcowboy,
Never miss a chance to demean your neighbors & vent your prejudices on a public forum to show how much better you are than they.
:thumbdown:
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:17 pm

alaska teardrop wrote:

Ya right, Slowcowboy,
Never miss a chance to demean your neighbors & vent your prejudices on a public forum to show how much better you are than they.
:thumbdown:

Sounds like you just did the same thing.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Camping Secrets