Southern Californa Camping

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Southern Californa Camping

Postby clamlamp » Sun May 06, 2018 3:11 pm

Hi I'm new to the teardrop community from So. Cal. and I'm looking for sites for camping around home to start off with. I wasn't sure if I could pull my teardrop into a tent location and get away with it. Does anyone recommend a site that I can go where my friends can camp near my trailer and I don't have to park in a RV spot?

The only ones I know are Crystal Lake, Lake Perris, Silverwood Lake, and Castaic Lake are spots where you can park next to where you camp. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :question: :vroom:
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Re: Southern Californa Camping

Postby bc toys » Sun May 06, 2018 4:02 pm

Joshua tree state park I've heard it nice in oct- march, april but hot in the summer months
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Bill n Robi » Sun May 06, 2018 6:31 pm

Well, we are the most southern / western teardrop that I know off - 3 miles to beach / 3 miles to Tijuana. So everything is a trek. There are 15 campgrounds in San Diego county, one beach front that you go to but all the other beach sites require a black water tank and no port-a-pottys allowed. Heading east to Joshua Tree is a great early season and late season - the north side Black Rock is great - good mix of sites but no power or water but clean restrooms. Up the coast area toward Santa Barbara are some but reservation required so it is hard to go on a moments notice.

We are relocating up the 395 to Bishop - from Coso Junction to Mammoth there are 150,000 camp sites and lots to explore and do. Plenty of BLM land for dry camping. We have our favorite places up there, Mill Pond, Keough Hot Springs, Bishop Creek.

I would suggest getting camping apps Allstays, Reserve America, RV Parky, CampsitePhotos .com to see what the site looks like and campgroundviews.com both have saved us from getting a site that the TD wouldn't fit. Lots of resources out there.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby KTM_Guy » Sun May 06, 2018 11:11 pm

Anza-Borrego Desert State Park is on my bucket list. We love Death Valley, if I lived in So. Cal. I would go there all the time. Just not in the summer. :lol: Joshua tree NP.

A lot of campgrounds (NP, BLM, State parks) will allow two or three camping units on one site. So one trailer and one or two tents depending on size. Most have a 6-8 person limit per site and one maybe two cars per site. Now the muddy part is what is a teardrop? One member here was in Zion and had to move from one campground to the RV campground. Even though his tear has a smaller footprint than some tents. My daughter in camping in a tents only Forest Service campground tonight near Sedona and said there was a teardrop and an expo trailer with rooftop tent there. So it is hit or miss on what you can get away with.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby Bill n Robi » Mon May 07, 2018 8:47 am

That is why I use the campground views. We have found that many state parks have barriers set up so people don't park off road - oil leaks and antifreeze pollution on ground. Plus those that don't want to pay $5 more for an extra vehicle parking space will crowd in a site and block roadways. The issue with parking a TD in an RV/Trailer space is you are usually on asphalt and can't put up an awning. When we camped at the Sequoias, the camp host let us drive thru a campsite to get our TD on the dirt at our site, then moved the truck. Bribing them with my apple wood smoked pineapple upside down cake did help...
2015 T@G Max
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby clamlamp » Mon May 07, 2018 8:55 am

The sites say that 2 vehicle limit per site but is a TD considered an additional vehicle?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby Bill n Robi » Mon May 07, 2018 7:55 pm

Seen lot of two motor vehicles with a trailer or RV so in my experience no, a TD is like a tent. YMMV from state, county federal camp grounds.
2015 T@G Max
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Return to Camping Secrets