square footage of camping sites

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Re: square footage of camping sites

Postby Philip » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:10 am

tony.latham wrote:With the Allstays app you can open the campground's location in Google Maps (satellite view) and actually look at the campground.

That will show you how congested the place is. :thumbsup:

Tony

The one problem I found with allstays app. Almost all camp grounds on that app are given a high rating. In the 20 + campgrounds we stayed in last summer using that app. Only 5 had restrooms/ shower buildings that you would want to walk into and use. If your running something class C or better you wouldn't see a problem in the restrooms. So I saw a lot of bad restrooms that were highly neglected by not having a class C or bigger.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:10 am

Only 5 had restrooms/ shower buildings that you would want to walk into and use.

:? :? :? :? :?

Spooky.

Thankfully I live in the west and can avoid campgrounds. Especially private ones.

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Philip » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:29 am

tony.latham wrote:
Only 5 had restrooms/ shower buildings that you would want to walk into and use.

:? :? :? :? :?

Spooky.

Thankfully I live in the west and can avoid campgrounds. Especially private ones.

:thumbsup:

Tony

One campground in PA had a 4 star rating. Think of the Deliverance movie. It was real close. I even told the wife if the theme song started playing. Grab nothing, just get in the truck. The owners were older but very nice. The camp ground roads were bare dirt and very rough. Anything low slung would have not made it to any of the sites. I can tell you 100%. All the ratings were false whoever posted them had never stayed there. Next closest camp ground was 50 miles away. This one was 3 miles from where we were going.

The one 50 miles away had a bad restroom also. We were there the next night.

Now for the orginal poster. In commercial campgrounds we stayed in all had enough room to unhook the trailer and move it beside the supplied tables. or the parking areas were drive threw where you could unhook in the drive. Only stayed at four that didn't have drive threw access. Three of those were in PA. The one in WY The sites in the center of the grounds were drive threw. I chose a spot that was right against the Wind river. My front bumper was 5' from the water.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Tomterrific » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:53 pm

I have only stayed at 2 private campgrounds. Both were to just get-where-we-were-going. I guess some could be just great but from these reports I'd only stay at ones you guys suggest.

We stayed at Delaware State Park yesterday and it was as good as Ohio Guy said it would be. Nice laid out sites. Not many folks there because it was COLD at night!

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:01 pm

The proper answer is, it depends.

It depends on where you are.

For now, until my build is done, I am using a 10x14 tent as my sleeping area, a 13x13 EZ Up over the kitchen / mess hall, and a 7x3.5 2 room Ensuite tent. I have no issues whatsoever with any of the campsites we have been to in Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, or Oklahoma. From my travels it seems that the further east you go, the more restricted on space you get.

I won't give away the location, but as a kid, we would camp, our extended family of my parents, brother, aunts, uncles, coulsins, and grandma in the national forest, overlooking the pacific ocean, within a short dirt road drive to the main highway. No fewer than 6 pretty good size tents, 4 cars etc... And technically one camp site.

This is a long winded example way of saying, IF you can manage, and space and privacy is of premium concern, then dispersed camping away from campgrounds is your better option. However even in Texas that is mostly private land, on the state park campgrounds at least, there is plenty of space for Tent campers.

Just an example, we DO have a 10x20 3 room tent we no longer use, not because it is too big, but because I hate setting it up.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:08 am

We have had good experiences with state, national and provincial (Canadian) parks. Nancy will look at aerial views for sites at the edges. The lobe design seems to be what most newer parks are using and central ones with full hookups and some with pull through's for the BIG RV's.

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Squigie » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:23 am

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but thought the subject appropriate:
RVs and trailers (and tow vehicles) are getting bigger, and bigger, and more common.
Some campgrounds have had to adjust to this trend by eliminating smaller campsites to expand others, or by combining tent / small trailer sites to make an RV spot.

And others, like the KOA just down the road from me, did not expand or combine small sites. Rather, they took away the green space and privacy, and wedged big RV spots between the older, smaller sites. So, now, the road-weary, light travelers can settle in to a nice, little tent site, sandwiched right between two RVs with their generators hammering away.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets