Dutch oven bargain?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Dutch oven bargain?

Postby cherokeegeorge » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:52 pm

picked up a dutch oven (my first) this morning at a swapmeet. its a 12" wide by 4 1/2; deep camp chef, brand new it has the whole Lewis and clark thing on the lid plus 3 legs on the lid, it came with the carring bag and the hook plus it came in a great hard wood box that was branded with the L & C promo. The whole thing $25 what do you think. be honest
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Re: Dutch oven bargain?

Postby Joanne » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:52 pm

cherokeegeorge wrote:picked up a dutch oven (my first) this morning at a swapmeet. its a 12" wide by 4 1/2; deep camp chef, brand new it has the whole Lewis and clark thing on the lid plus 3 legs on the lid, it came with the carring bag and the hook plus it came in a great hard wood box that was branded with the L & C promo. The whole thing $25 what do you think. be honest

Hey CherokeeGeorge,

I think you got a good deal. I was looking at a 10" deep lodge this weekend and it was about $36. Camp Chef makes a quality oven and a 12" is an ideal size to start with since most recipes are sized for one. Be sure to season it well, then get cooking. A great DO list is available on Yahoogroups and it named Dutchovencooking. Lots of great folks (just like here) and plenty of recipes and advice. I would suggest practicing a little at home before heading out camping.

Keep your coals hot!

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby PresTx82 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:26 am

Sounds like a bargain.

I'm still looking for a good set at a good price. If anyone sees a good sale on these, please let me know.
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby Ma3tt » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:00 am

I have that oven its nice. I made peach dump cake in it for 35 people on Easter. if you look at the rim it has a little slot that lines up with one on the lid so you can put a remote thermometer in it.
Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Postby bennelson » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:45 pm

I got a great little book about how to cook with dutch ovens.

The best tip in the book is to use an aluminum cake pan inside the dutch oven. That way, cake cooks evenly and beans are a snap to clean up, as you just pull out the pan and wash it. I have heard that dishes like chili are pretty hard on a dutch oven's seasoning.

-Ben
still no idea what i'm doing...
bennelson
Teardrop Master

Postby cherokeegeorge » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:31 pm

Thanks guys all I keep thinking about is cobbler :)
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Postby gager2002 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:05 pm

You really got a good deal. For you looking: Harbor Freight usually has the 12" for 19.99 to 24.99, plus they always have coupons e-mailed. These are foreign made, but still good. I had to teach 12 boys to use one, so I bought 4 and did teams of 3. Also academy'd prices aren't bad. Flea markets and antique stores really think some of these are worth something, but do some research before you pay over $60 for any cast iron oven or cast iron casserole dish.
gager2002
Teardrop Builder

Postby Slayer » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:21 pm

[quote="bennelson"]I got a great little book about how to cook with dutch ovens.

. I have heard that dishes like chili are pretty hard on a dutch oven's seasoning.

-Ben[/quote
Anything acidic Is a bad thing, but not the end of the world. You should reseason after each use anyway. Not the whole nine yards, but clean, dry then coat lightly with lard while its still warm. Yes I said lard. I will use crisco in a pinch, but I try not to.
I know its the photographer, and not the camera. I'll keep shooting with a Pentax. Just in case.
Slayer
Teardrop Master

Postby Texsita » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:06 pm

Y'all need to check out the
"LONE STAR DUTCH OVEN SOCIETY"
http://www.lsdos.com/

Question: How do I season a Dutch Oven?
http://www.lsdos.com/faq.html

The cast iron Dutch oven as the official TEXAS State Cooking Implement.

In the fall of 1994, the Lone Star Dutch Oven Society was established to form a Texas Society for people who are interested in cooking outdoors in Dutch Ovens. Dutch Ovens are cast iron cooking pots that originated in Europe many hundreds of years ago. In the 18th century they were manufactured in England, and brought to this country by Dutch Traders... thus the name "Dutch" ovens. These wood fired cooking utensils were of paramount importance to the pioneers who settled this continent. The great Texas cattle drives could not have happened without them.

Societies of Dutch oven cooking have existed in Utah and surrounding states for over ten years. The LSDOS was patterned after the Dutch oven societies in these areas, but we are truly Texas unique. Since that time our society has grown to include chapters in a dozen areas around the state. Each chapter hosts their local DOGS on their own schedule. Our society boasts some extremely competent cooks who are always willing to share their knowledge and experience. Some of our members have been cooking with these black pots for more than 40 years. Join LSDOS, whether you like to cook around a campfire or on your patio with charcoal, and make future history in Texas style cooking... with us!

Also in Kansas, Tenneessee, North Carolina, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana and California.
Casita owner that is fascinated with Teardrops

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/texsita/my_photos
Llano County, Texas
Texsita
Donating Member

Dutch oven info

Postby Sandy Claws » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:09 pm

;) I picked up a little experience with dutch ovens from doing black powder buckskinnin'. First, If'n yer gunna do it, do it right! Get quality, an that aint from harbour freight :thumbdown: . Wash it good in hot soapy water and then rinse it well. To season, Give it a coating of vegetable oil and allow to drip dry for a few minutes(if you don't the oil will drip in oven....smoke..nuff said), then put in in a 300 degree oven for an hour. When makin' a cobbler or any other similar food its best you line 'er with foil. Fer cookin' I use the 3 up 3 down rule. Take the number of inches in diameter and add three to it and that is the number of charcoal briquettes to put on the top, and then subtract three from the diameter and put them under the pot and that should give ya purt neer 325 degrees and should last long enough for a cobbler. Ya can also just put it on the coals of a fire and shovel some more on top but it tougher to gauge temperature.
Everything taste better comin' out of a dutch oven! :thumbsup: Give 'er a try!
Rog...
Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest! Mark Twain
Sandy Claws
Teardrop Builder

Postby BrwBier » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:15 pm

I think you got ripped off, big time. And as I hate for people to get ripped off, I will send you the $25 for the DO and take it off your hands.
Brwbier
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Camping Secrets