Don't Let Your Dogs Drink From Lakes, Rivers, or Streams

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Don't Let Your Dogs Drink From Lakes, Rivers, or Streams

Postby ChaseLounge » Fri May 19, 2006 11:50 am

Last year my two little Yorkies came-down with terrible diarrhea, for no apparant reason. :( I called the Vet and she asked if we'd been to a lake or camping in the last couple of weeks. As a matter of fact, we had been camping at a local Missouri river, the week before.

She said they had Giardia, a nasty parasite. They can get it drinking from lakes, streams, or rivers. Evidently, it's the same thing as "Montezuma's Revenge", in humans. I always knew humans shouldn't drink that water but I thought animals had a natural defense. I guess not!

The only treatment was Imodium or any type of diarrhea liquid treatment, for several days, until the diarrhea stopped on it's own.

In addition, we had to treat everything in the house and yard and the SUV with a quat sanitizer (Iodine solution). :x Evidently, bleach and some disinfectants don't work on the parasite.

The next time we camped was at Buffalo Point on the Buffalo River in Arkansas. They had information posted at the fee station on Giardia in dogs. :thumbsup: I thought that was a good idea and wish more campsites would post such information.

Anyway, now we always make sure the dogs have plenty of water to drink before we take them to the lake or river and take a bottle of water and a drinking vessel with us.

Hope this saves all of you dog lovers a lot of pain and trouble.

http://www.vetinfo.com/dgiardia.html
Last edited by ChaseLounge on Fri May 19, 2006 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Building Our First Teardrop
ChaseLounge
Donating Member

Postby Chris C » Fri May 19, 2006 11:53 am

Sorry to hear of your problem. Sure hurts to see our little pet companions sick when there's not much we can do about it. Hope poochie gets to feeling better soon.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby apratt » Fri May 19, 2006 12:02 pm

Sorry to hear about your dogs. :( Boy that will be tought for me to tell my dog 'do not drink from the lake or river'. I can give my dog fresh water she may or may not drink the water but the second to the lake or river she is drinking it. Ummmm guess I gotta learn dog langauge. :lol: :lol:
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby Chris C » Fri May 19, 2006 2:24 pm

Unfortunately, it may be time for leashes or just not taking our canine friends into the wild with us.

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Chris C

Postby Will Smith » Fri May 19, 2006 9:22 pm

check with your vet as my dogs are vaccinated against giardia.
Benefit mankind, use your screen saver for something useful. More information here:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
Will Smith
Teardrop Master

Postby Chris C » Fri May 19, 2006 10:19 pm

Hey, that's not fair!!!! How come poochies get immunity from Giardia and I can't??? :roll:

Chris C

Postby Kevin A » Fri May 19, 2006 10:22 pm

Chris C wrote:Hey, that's not fair!!!! How come poochies get immunity from Giardia and I can't??? :roll:
Well, I bet if you asked "poochie's" vet really nice...... :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby ChaseLounge » Sat May 20, 2006 5:37 am

Will Smith wrote:check with your vet as my dogs are vaccinated against giardia.

I didn't know that was available...Thank-you!
Building Our First Teardrop
ChaseLounge
Donating Member

Postby Scooter » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:15 am

Dogs will be dogs.
The RoadCamper the old teardrop
Scooter
500 Club

Postby Platbiker » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:15 am

I dunno why people aren't immunized against Giardia, but what I have read and heard about it seems to indicate that it it is:
1. Very common, perhaps half of us are infected...
2.somewhat hard to contract- historically it has been assumed that everyone who drinks a spore will put up with several weeks of horrid intestinal distress, however a high number of people who test positive for the parasite have no memory of physical symptoms- many of whom have NEVER remembered having had a drink from untreated water...
Platbiker
Teardrop Builder

Postby Platbiker » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:21 am

by the way, my dogs drink from anything and everything and I drink from anything that is not..."off-putting" - and I fish a lot- none of us has been more than the normal amount of sick, and though I have never had to be tested due to symptoms, I haven't had any check up blood tests give me any bad news either( I secretly want to contract Giardia for the antibodies- and that goes for West Nile Virus too... SHHHH...don't tell my wife....)
Platbiker
Teardrop Builder

Postby Arne » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:36 am

Telling my dog (like she listens to me, anyway) not to drink crappy water from a mud puddle would be about the same as me telling her not to breath for 15 minutes...... from a clear lake or stream, not a chance... but thank you for the information, I'll pass it along to her.... kind of scary as I also thought the built up a natural defense, like Mexicans do to their drinking supply.

---

Meaning

The diarrhea (also spelled diarrhoea) that is suffered by tourists when travelling to foreign parts, in this case Mexico.

Origin

Montezuma was Emperor of Mexico, 1502-20. The sickness, more formally called "traveller's diarrhea", is usually caused by drinking unsterilised water or eating spicy food that visitors aren't accustomed to. It is a bacteriological illness, always uncomfortable, and occasionally serious. Most cases are caused by the enterotoxigenic E. coli bacterium.

The revenge element of the phrase alludes to countries that were previously colonized by stronger countries and are now, in this small way, getting their own back.

Names for it vary depending on the part of the world concerned. These usually have comic names, which reflect the embarrassment felt by the sufferer and the amusement in the lucky non-sufferers. Montezuma's Revenge is also known as the Gringo Gallop and the Aztec Two-step.

Those unlucky enough to suffer from it in Asia will hear it called Ghandi's Revenge, Gyppy Tummy, Delhi Belly, the Rangoon Runs, Tokyo Trots etc.

Gyppy Tummy goes back to at least the Second World War, but Montezuma's Revenge isn't particularly old. The earliest citation of it in print is from The Washington Post, January 1960:

"‘Wasn't there anything you didn't like?’ and they admit that, like most Americans, they suffered a three-day gastric upset described by a variety of names, names like the Gringo Gallop and Montezuma's Revenge."
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby asianflava » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:14 am

How does someone build a tolerance to it? Just suffer thru it a couple times?

Obviously, it doesn't kill the people who live there.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Platbiker » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:14 am

I had been under the impression that the "travelers disease" was a separate- more generalized infection, and The Giardia was a more severe, longer lasting intestinal disorder...I looked it up on wikipedia;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giardia

But the article doesn't mention whether these are the same ailments....either way, I guess I'll try to be less cavalier, If Giardia reoccurs sporadically for life, I don't really want antibodies that badly...I guess I better Check and see that West Nile doesn't do the same thing....

:o
Platbiker
Teardrop Builder

Postby Laredo » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:02 pm

Giardiasis is caused by a wee little parasitical organism.
You can get it from drinking contaminated water. Boiling water at sufficiently high altitude won't kill it all.

It's not common in Texas but it is one of the gastrointestinal diseases we sometimes get reported to us.

Campylobacter, salmonella, shigellosis and noro virus are the more common diarrheal illnesses.

All come from bad hygiene (yours may not be the only input that stream receives, capice?)
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Next

Return to Camping Secrets