Starting my plans to build

Here is a generic building plan for a teardrop designed by the members of T&TTT.

Starting my plans to build

Postby Mary K » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:46 pm

First off I want to thank everyone who worked on the Generic Benroy Plans. It is a HUGE help and "a have to have" for any first time Teardrop builder.

THANK YOU!!!! :bowdown:

My first step in my endeavor to build my own Tear is convincing every one around me that I CAN do it. You wouldn't believe all the people who want to take a Poo on your parade. Yeah, Okay, So I don't have that much woodworking experience, nor do I have that many tool's SO What! I'm gonna build my Tear anyway! I'm gonna buy the tools (pawn shops here I come) and learn the skills by just frigging doing it!!
:gas: So Brrrrrrrrrpffffftttt!! (I couldnt find the tounge sticking out rasberry blowing emoticons)

I built my own Staind Glass workshop. (See my Gallery)

Okay, yeah with my Dads help... but I dont like ladders....

Sorry I had to Rant for minute. :x

Anywho... So obviously I'm using the Benroy Plans, Second thing I need to do is get the money...working on that, But in the mean time, I stared a Spreadsheet (Excel) using the Steps in "The Plans" for a guide. Listing Materials for each step, Cost for each step, Time..ect with links, for me at least, to find the materials on line.

Of course it's not finished But it could be used a starting point for other builders.

If someone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction on how to post a file..not a pic..I'd like to share this Generic Benroy Spreadsheet with everyone.

Thanks again,

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:21 am

Mary,

If you send me the spreadsheet here

I can post it for you. Plus I think it could be a big help for other Generic Benroy builders.

And yes, you can do it! Don't let anyone rain on your parade.

Arne, gonna back me up here? :o

Mike...
Last edited by mikeschn on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:07 am

Sure, if you are not in a rush, just do one step at a time. I think my total cost was about $2,000 when I built mine. And I started building mine 1 week after I discovered tear drop trailers.... we had a previously planned trip south and were going to camp out of our van... the tear drop seemed like a much better idea.

And, you can actually start building without the trailer, if you want. Build the box, then put it on a trailer when you are done..... but, if that makes you nervous, get a trailer first...

What size are you thinking of building..? Then we can give you some ideas of step 1..
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby AmyH » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:37 am

Mary, stay away from those people that want to rain on your parade. If anyone ever tells me I can't do something, it only makes me want to do it more! :lol: I am definitely one of the slower builders on this forum (definitely working on teardrop time), but I am getting it done, slowly and with a LOT of planning. :lol: You can definitely do this, and everyone on this board will back you up with more than enough support and encouragement!

Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby Mary K » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:06 pm

Thanks for the support, I knew yall be there for me!!!

It’s appreciated!!!

Arne, I'm gonna do the 8x5 with the Red Trailer just like the Benroy plans. I want to wait untill I have the trailer before I get started. I'm Working O/T (on Teardrop time) for funding, good thing its busy at work.

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Arne » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:23 pm

For your first one, having the trailer first is a good idea.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Re: Starting my plans to build

Postby Joanne » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:26 pm

Hey Mary,

I have never understood why so many folks can only see the reason NOT to do something rather than the reason TO do it. You don't need a lot of tools. You don't need a lot of experience. You don't need a lot of money (though having some helps). The only thing you really need is the belief that you can do it. The ladies at the IRG made a good showing with their trailers!

Go for it!

Joanne

Mary K wrote:First off I want to thank everyone who worked on the Generic Benroy Plans. It is a HUGE help and "a have to have" for any first time Teardrop builder.

THANK YOU!!!! :bowdown:

My first step in my endeavor to build my own Tear is convincing every one around me that I CAN do it. You wouldn't believe all the people who want to take a Poo on your parade. Yeah, Okay, So I don't have that much woodworking experience, nor do I have that many tool's SO What! I'm gonna build my Tear anyway! I'm gonna buy the tools (pawn shops here I come) and learn the skills by just frigging doing it!!
:gas: So Brrrrrrrrrpffffftttt!! (I couldnt find the tounge sticking out rasberry blowing emoticons)

I built my own Staind Glass workshop. (See my Gallery)

Okay, yeah with my Dads help... but I dont like ladders....

Sorry I had to Rant for minute. :x

Anywho... So obviously I'm using the Benroy Plans, Second thing I need to do is get the money...working on that, But in the mean time, I stared a Spreadsheet (Excel) using the Steps in "The Plans" for a guide. Listing Materials for each step, Cost for each step, Time..ect with links, for me at least, to find the materials on line.

Of course it's not finished But it could be used a starting point for other builders.

If someone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction on how to post a file..not a pic..I'd like to share this Generic Benroy Spreadsheet with everyone.

Thanks again,

Mk
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby mikeschn » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:34 pm

I know it's kinda hard to see, but here is the beginning of Mary's spreadsheet. When she finishes it I can make a pdf or an html of it and post it for you guys.

Mary, you're doing a good job. Keep on going.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Mary K » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:08 pm

Thanks Mike.

Its not completed by anymeans but the format is usable. I'd like to offer this Spreadsheet to anyone who has access to Excel. You can modify it to your liking, adding your own materials and costs.

If you would like the file you can email me @ [email protected] , and I can send it to you.

When it is complete I will post it, but it just might take awhile...

Mk
Last edited by Mary K on Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mary K

Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Mary K » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:46 pm

Joanne,

Thanks for the support!

I checked out your Desert Dog Page, Great work!! That took guts to use a boat trailer frame but what a great idea.

What tools could you absolutely not do without on your build?
(ooh that be a good Poll question)

I have a jig saw, skill saw, sander, & electric drill (and other typical hand tools). I have considered buying a table saw, but I don't see myself using it except for this build? Is it practical for cutting 4x8 sheets like for the Galley? With a proper Jig/straight edge I should be able to use the skill saw for this work don't you think?

Okay I better stop here, I could go on and on blablabla...

Thanks again,

MK
Mary K

Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Arne » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:26 pm

I have a light weight table saw that I've used many times.. cost less thann $100.00 and I've used it for 15 years.... actually, it is only about 12 inches high and I usually use it on the lawn, but very handy...

http://tinyurl.com/msdhd

If it broke, I'd buy another one it has been so handy..... Plywood sheets, I cut with my skil saw and a straight edge clamped down on it.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby asianflava » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:11 pm

I's say that at the very laest you need:

Cordless drill (with drill and screwdriver bits)
Jigsaw
Circular saw
Tape measure
lots of clamps

Since I did sandwich walls add:
Miter saw
Router

I really didn't use the table saw as much as I thought I would.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:40 pm

asianflava wrote:I's say that at the very laest you need:

Cordless drill (with drill and screwdriver bits)
Jigsaw
Circular saw
Tape measure
lots of clamps

Since I did sandwich walls add:
Miter saw
Router

I really didn't use the table saw as much as I thought I would.

But you went out and bought a new one anyway. :lol:
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby asianflava » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:49 am

bledsoe3 wrote:But you went out and bought a new one anyway. :lol:

Actually, I was pretty much finished with the woodwork when I bought the saw.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

sawing plywood

Postby caryeastwood » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:56 am

Saw this in a woodwoorking tip book...

Sawing large sheets of plywood can be done using a circular saw, a straight edge (or another peice of wood) and a sheet of 2" rigid foam insulation. Lay the plywood over on the insulation and only drop your blade only 1/4" below the work.

I'm planing on glueing a peice of 1/2" ply / mdf to the back of mine, just to make it more rigid and incase I mess up. :lol: This way I can use it on the ground or on saw horses.
caryeastwood
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Generic Building Plans