sliding door material

Here is a generic building plan for a teardrop designed by the members of T&TTT.

sliding door material

Postby SeanTheLeprechaun » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:57 pm

I am in the process of building the Generic Benroy and I am cutting materials for the cabinets / Galley.
Can anyone tell me if the sliding door material for the Galley should be 1/4" or 3/8".
The width of the channel is 3/8". I have never made sliders before, so I am not familiar with the play or tolerances required.
Also, the plans don't mention to put in the slider in the slot / groove before glueing the ends of the panel (attn Mike for the next rev..).
SeanTheLeprechaun
Teardrop Inspector

Postby AmyH » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:19 pm

I believe that it is supposed to be 1/4" material. I plan on using 1/4" framing with 1/8" ply inserted in a recessed dado. The groove in the track should be a bit wider to allow the ply to move smoothly. The upper track should be a bit deeper than the lower track to allow you to insert the slider doors after the tracks are installed (1/2" deep for top tracks, and I think about 1/4-3/8" deep for lower track).

I am sure some of the folks that have built sliding doors will chime in with more helpful info.
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:33 pm

It depends on the thickness of your doors. Most 1/4" plywood is closer to 3/16" and would work fine in a 1/4" slot especially when you sand it smooth. Check your material first. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Return to Generic Building Plans