Step 6: Build your interior cabinets

Here is a generic building plan for a teardrop designed by the members of T&TTT.

Step 6: Build your interior cabinets

Postby mikeschn » Tue May 10, 2005 12:00 pm

Step 6: Build your interior cabinets – basic cabinets

The cabinets are all built from good grade ¾” plywood. You could use birch, cherry, oak, or any other flavor that you like. Cut out your pieces based on these drawings…

You’ll assemble the cabinets separate from the teardrop, and then add it, as an assembly to the teardrop. The cabinet assembly will also serve as a method to keep the sides perpendicular to the floor.

You’ll use a combination bit to drill the holes, counter sink and counterbore the holes at the same time. You’ll come back later with some wooden plugs that you will fill the counterbored holes in with, and then cut and sand flush.

The screws should be 6” from each end (approx) and about a foot apart. You’ll assemble the panels with the side edge sitting on the ground. Use an exterior wood glue for the cabinets, something like Tightbond III.

The first step is to assemble the main portion of the cabinet, as shown in this picture…

Then you’ll come back and add the electrical raceway, and the cabin cabinet divider partions…

Last but not least, you’ll add the cabinet doors and sliding doors…

Last edited by mikeschn on Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Step 6: Build your interior cabinets

Postby bledsoe3 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:51 pm

mikeschn wrote:Step 6: Build your interior cabinets – basic cabinets

The cabinets are all built from good grade ¾” plywood. You could use birch, cherry, oak, or any other flavor that you like.
The lower bulkhead is 16x58 ½
The galley cabinet front is also 16” x 58 ½” (cut out the openings per the drawing)The countertop is 19 ¼ x 58 ½
The cabinet back is 24 5/8” x 58 ½” with a 25* chamfer
The cabin cabinet bottom is 10 ¼” x 58 ½”
The cabin cabinet front is 22 ¼” x 58 ½” with a 11* chamfer (cut out the openings per the drawing)

Mike do you have the drawing? I need to start my cabinets. I'm going to buy the wood today. Thanks, Jim. :hammer:
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:12 pm

Okay, I sketched out the drawings, and how they are assembled.

You'll notice the middle opening is for a combo DVD/TV, it doesn't require a door. The 2 outside openings are for storage and require a door.

All three openings in the galley require a door.

Here's the PDF file of these 3 drawings in full size so you can print it out...
http://www.mikenchell.com/images/cabinetdrawings.pdf

Let me know if you have any questions...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby bledsoe3 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:15 am

Mike, Thanks for the fast response. I'll try to post some pictures soon. Jim
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:24 am

I had to update the drawings... the TV DVD combo is 11" wide. So I added an inch on each side..., and made the doors an inch smaller. The drawings in the previous msg are now up to date...

Here's the TV...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 2?v=glance

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby jim7310 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:30 am

Mike,

Do you have plans (no pun intended) to turn your considerable drafting skills to creating a scale drawing (CAD) of the cabinets and the steps in their construction?

Jim
jim7310
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:39 pm

Yes I do Jim,

I did the hatch and the door plans last week, and I hope to get to the cabinet plans either this week or next. I just got swamped with work, so we'll see how that plays out.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Chris C » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:43 pm

Mike,

Are you planning on doing your entire Build CD this way? Talk about fantastic. Gee, with your computer skills, this out to become the teardrop builder's Bible!
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby mikeschn » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:51 pm

Yes, I plan on doing the entire Generic Benroy build this way. The end results look great, but they take time. But they are high on my priority list now that summer is winding down.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby jim7310 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:56 pm

Mike,

Thanks for all of the work you have done in documenting these plans. Don't you hate having to take time to make a living? It really gets in the way of important things....

Jim
jim7310
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Chris C » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:57 pm

Well, as I mentioned in a previous thread, I can't wait to see it. That'll be a must have..............no matter what specific style someone is building. I have only built my frame at this point, so I'm open to all the experienced help I can get. Thanks for taking the extra time to do it right.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby mikeschn » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:47 pm

I just put the cabinet drawings up for your review...

Other than the section view of one of the face frames, I think most everything else is readable... I'll be coming up with another picture of that section.

Please let me know if something else is not clear!

Thanks...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:27 pm

Hey guys,

I need some thoughts and suggestions...

I thought I'd start building the drawers in the galley today... But they are only 9 - 3/4" deep. I don't think I can get a drawer glide that small.

So what would you guys like to see?

1) Drawer glides like the good old fashioned days, made out of wood.
2) Another cabinet
3) An icebox
4) Other, please describe...

Thanks

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby toypusher » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:34 pm

How about this?

toypusher
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:59 pm

Like this Kerry?

I don't like this for 2 reasons...

1) There is no positive stop. You can pull the drawer out and spill all the contents on the muddy ground.

2) You can't pull it out very far at all... For a 9 3/4" drawer I'm guessing you can only pull it out about 6". That makes it kinda hard to get stuff out of there...

Any other suggestions? Or did someone find a 9" full extension drawer glide?

What about those drawer glides that they use on those fancy toolboxes?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Next

Return to Generic Building Plans