Step 9: Install spars 1x2 pine

Here is a generic building plan for a teardrop designed by the members of T&TTT.

Postby mikeschn » Tue May 10, 2005 12:28 pm

You should now prepare (xx) spars. These spars are dimensional lumber 1x2”. Actual measured dimensions are ¾”x 1 ½”. If you are not having any luck finding dimensional lumber that is straight, then buy some 1x4s or 1x6s and rip off a bunch of strips 1 ½” wide. Then cut them all to 58 ½” long. It helps to have a mechanical stop on your miter saw to ensure that all your spars are truly the same length.

The final spar, the one that the hurricane hinge will attach to should be cut from poplar. That’ll give the screws something to bite into!

You marked the locations of the spars in step 4. Now you are going to drill 3/16”” clearance holes for spars. Drill 2 holes per location from the inside. Then come back on the outside and countersink the holes.

Finally, using polyurethane glue, glue in all the spars, and put 2 screws in each end.

The headliner is made from 2 pieces of 4x5' x 1/8" plywood and 1 piece of 1x5'x1/8" plywood. The head liner pieces are joined together with a strips of plywood 4" wide x 5' long

The spar locations and headliner seam locations are noted in this drawing...

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Mon May 16, 2005 9:14 am

Yes, I know the drawing is not real clear. I'll do a pdf file of it later this afternoon!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby SteveH » Mon May 16, 2005 11:04 am

Mike,

I never thought of joining and installing the plywood ceiling like that. Nice idea. I just made shure I had put a 2 X 2 spar, or rafter as I called them, where a 4' piece of ply would end and attached the ceiling to the spar at the joint.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon May 16, 2005 11:18 am

I saw Steve do that when he built my Lil Diner. I quickly realized it was the solution to any headliner that is longer that the stock plywood size!

So you can thank Steve for that idea.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby dacrazyrn » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:21 pm

dacrazyrn
Teardrop Master

Return to Generic Building Plans