Decision to build

Here is a generic building plan for a teardrop designed by the members of T&TTT.

Decision to build

Postby KA » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:04 pm

After looking at everything I could find on the web, I have decided to build a Generic Benroy rather than purchasing an existing trailer. Thank you, thank you for the free plans. I've enlisted the aid of my dad (a retired carpenter) and my husband (a hot rod enthusiast) for technical advice. Today, I downloaded the Washington State Patrol Inspection and Trailer Requirements. Next step will be to research the trailer/chassis options. I am a recovering worrier and am thinking that I might want the trailer to be welded as well as bolted together. I want to tow this behind my Subaru Outback off the beaten path on some bumpy roads. Since I am an artist by trade, I'm already thinking about the looks of the trailer and am leaning towards skinning it with aluminum on the top and hatch, and with marine duck canvas on the sides. I will stock up on bandaids and take a lot of pictures as I go. I think the trailer sides will match the color of my car...a sage green. The fenders and chassis will be black and there will be a little bit of brownish/red accent somewhere. I plan to make a lot of the decorative and functional accessories such as tiles, curtains, etc. with recycled materials. This is so exciting. I can hardly stand myself. Thanks again to all of you who share your expertise.
Kris
KA
Donating Member

Postby Chris C » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:07 pm

Welcome to the group, Kris. There are a bunch of gals here on the team who are building and will be glad to have another comrade! :lol: Good luck on your plans. Take your time and plan well. It's easier to correct something you don't like with your idea than it is to change it after it's built.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Decision to build

Postby KA » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:23 pm

Thanks Chris! Encouragement is greatly appreciated.
Kris
KA
Donating Member

Postby Joanne » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:28 pm

High five Kris!!!

I'm glad to hear that you are going to build. It's also nice that you have some "in house" coaches around to help if you get stuck on a section. Being an artist you can really express yourself throughout the trailer with design and materials.

My only caution is to watch the weight if you are towing with your Outback. The weight adds up fast and it doesn't take long to end up with a heavy trailer. (Guess how I know that??)

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Decision to Build

Postby KA » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:05 pm

Thanks JoAnne. You make a good point about the weight. I'll have to check into the max that my car can tow and then weigh everything, especially since I want my trailer to be 5 feet wide. Maybe we'll have to tow it with the old Jeep Cherokee or forgo the aluminum and canvas, or use formica instead of tile, or??...more questions to answer. I'd really like to add a rack for bikes and kayaks but maybe those will have to go on the car.
KA
Donating Member

Postby pgwilli » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:19 pm

Hi Kris,
Welcome to the board.
Your Outback should do fine.

The tear in the pic is our 5 x 10 Hunter. I haven't weighed it yet (maybe tomorrow...) But the builder said it was 800# before I started adding things.
I think all Outbacks are rated for 2700#, but over 1000 they need trailer brakes, so you'll probably want to order an axle set up for electric brakes for your build.
Paul, Norma & the Girls
2014 Escape 21
2006 Chevy Trailblazer
pgwilli
Lifetime member

decision to build

Postby KA » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:51 am

Hi Paula and Norma,
I appreciate your advice about the brakes. And, your teardrop is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing the picture. I'm inspired and excited to get started on mine. Now that I have my copy of the trailer licensing requirements for homebuilts, and some ideas about how much my trailer can weigh, I'm going to start shopping for chassis parts. It is time to move beyond the drooling stage and get started.
Thanks again.
Kris
KA
Donating Member

decision to build

Postby KA » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:01 am

Hi Chris,
I am just learning to use this forum and finally noticed under your earilier reply to me that you had some chassis pictures to share. I took a look at them and they sure look impressive. Thanks for posting them.
I appreciate all of the help.
Kris
KA
Donating Member

Postby elmo » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:23 am

Welcome to the group and have fun!!!

Elmer out!
It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker.
elmo
Donating Member

Decision to Build

Postby KA » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:59 am

Thanks Elmer! I'm having fun already. Can't wait to find the parts to start building my chassis.
Kris
KA
Donating Member

Postby rainjer » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:03 pm

Welcome KA,

Here is what I would do. No matter what trailer you start with, slap some plywood on the deck & get it registered as a utility trailer. Then build you teardrop after it is licenced.
rainjer
King Koleman

decision to build

Postby KA » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:38 pm

Hi Rainjer,
Thanks for the suggestion. Why do you suggest getting the trailer licensed before the cabin is built? Is it so that you can use the flatbed to haul the rest of your building stuff or does the state make licensing more expensive or difficult if the whole trailer is completed? Also, if you happen to license an uncompleted trailer and then you add the cabin, does insurance then become a problem if your trailer is involved in an accident?
I have a lot to learn and am a bit of a "what-iffer"..
Thanks again. I appreciate your input.
Kris
KA
Donating Member

Postby rainjer » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:24 pm

The trailer is a trailer in the eyes of the DOL/State Patrol as long as you don't build it heavy enough to require brakes. Your will save some headaches registering it as a utility trailer. Your teardrop is just a "bolt on box". (And yes, you can use it to get supplies)

As far as insurance goes, my State Fram agent says it is covered under my car while towing it, but they will insure it seperate if I want.
Last edited by rainjer on Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rainjer
King Koleman

Decision to Build

Postby KA » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:35 pm

Hi Rainjer,
Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate the advice.
KA
KA
Donating Member

Postby peggyearlchris » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:01 pm

:) welcome kris. I've almost have my frame finished just got my axle this weekend. Now the mosquitos are terrible. You just can't work out there. Have fun. You go girll.. :thumbsup: peg
peggyearlchris
500 Club

Return to Generic Building Plans