Mesh on 5x8. leave it or trash it?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Mesh on 5x8. leave it or trash it?

Postby Largest Al » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:33 pm

I have been lurking for a while and now it is time to get busy on this thing!

I recently acquired a one year old 5x8 Carry-On trailer with a mesh deck and ramp. Obviously the ramp is going, but what are the thoughts on leaving the mesh? It is welded at every 'blankity-blank' spot where the mesh touches the trailer frame. I can grind it off if it is better in the long run. Frame modifications will be next as I intend to extend it to 10 feet, use 14" tires and contemplating making a 'basement' for storage. Basement probably not a good idea, but I am willing to listen to comments.

Always open to suggestions, comments and smart-aleck remarks. Hoping to at least get it under cover by end of July to make the Nascar race in Bristol. (dreaming)
Largest Al
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Mesh on 5x8. leave it or trash it?

Postby Still Has Potential » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:11 pm

I had the same dilemma when I started my build this winter. I don't know what it could hurt so I left it on mine. I can do the field research for you, but the data will be several years out. Anyone know of a reason LA and I should worry?
Still Has Potential
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:58 am

I would leave it as long as the trailer is square.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:33 pm

I was thinking about this as I drove past a Tractor Supply store today and saw their trailers out front. My thinking, it is added dead weight and would make getting access to the bottom of the trailer more difficult. In our case some electrical, gas line, water tank...
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:04 am

Moisture and debris trap? I would axe it. (Be careful to avoid gouging or over grinding on the main rails when cutting and grinding off the welds.)
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Alan_H » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:03 am

KCStudly wrote:Moisture and debris trap? I would axe it. (Be careful to avoid gouging or over grinding on the main rails when cutting and grinding off the welds.)

+ 1
Alan_H
Lifetime member

Postby DrewsBrews » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:35 am

On top of unnecessary weight, If the floor is directly attached to it I'd worry about it slowly acting like a cheese grater wearing into the underside due to vibration/flexing... exposing fibers that would wick moisture.
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:31 am

It makes a good rock guard and I think I would trap a sheet of blue foam on top of it to act as a moisture stop and insulation factor under my decking.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Largest Al » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:42 pm

Update

I took it off. Carry-On puts a weld on the mesh on the sides every 3 inches. Some are good, some are bad. Cross members mesh welds were about 8-9" apart. Needless to say, it took a while to get it cut out and ground down smooth.

The welds holding the side rails are very suspect. Some popped right off when leveraged.

Mesh, tailgate, latches, side rails - all gone. 200+ pounds. Sold most for about $30 (Which is far less than the ER bill when the grinder cutting wheel broke and embedded itself into my hand this past weekend. Luckily only six stitches!)

Glad I removed it. Trailer wasn't quite square enough and I would have relied on some suspect welds.

Next will be welding in the extension pieces, new extended tongue, extra support members, etc. I guarantee I will be putting more weight back on it than I took off! 2x3 tubing is 'just' a bit heavier than 2" angle. ;)
Largest Al
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Mesh on 5x8. Can I try this instead?

Postby Pwfyrcat1 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:02 pm

I was going to start a new/similar thread but why not just continue the conversation...

My trailer also has the wire mesh floor. I was wondering if it is reasonable to apply a heavy coat of primer paint on the mesh, then the floor, which in all likelihood will be panel/foam/panel; the bottom panel coated with a heavy coat of black goo, would this not resist wear and tear?

btw this is my Question #2...
Hell will still be burning when you get there
Pwfyrcat1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Kergan » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:24 am

I plan on leaving my mesh on and building the floor 9" up on two wooden box tubes, leaving a 49"
wide storage compartment under the whole middle. I can put in an 8' long drawer or take it out and haul plywood. The boxes can run wiring or airducts, and can put the spare tire in it as well.
Someone here built a 12" compartment under theirs and claim to have never regretted it.

Pwyfrcat1: I would imagine it would work great. At the worst, coat more black goo on and through the mesh from underneath. I'm just an ignorant savage, but I hold a great respect for bobhenry's and Woodbutcher's skill and experience. I think the weight would be worth it.
Your material costs are going to include BEER. Don't underestimate the beer costs or the work slows down.
Kergan
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets